What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Mojo

Bench
I don’t mean to sound like a broken record, but Des Hasler
Has a mighty fine resume compared to any others.
2 premierships as a player, represented both NSW & Australia multiple times & learnt from Bob Fulton (An Immortal) as his long term coach at Manly.
2 premierships as a coach at Manly
And if that’s not enough he was a graduate & qualified teacher in physical education.
Surely our idiots can see that’s a major improvement on Price, Mary, Hook groundhog decade.
Des is the standout candidate. No question about it. Head and shoulders better than the rest.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
If there was any further proof needed our board is out of touch we approach someone who has coached 1 year 3 games for 2 wins & 1 loss

Lol dear oh dear don't know what's worse the fact we approached him or the fact he turned us down.
They can't win, if they didn't approach Slater they would get bagged, if they do, they still get bagged, no win situation, i see it as proactive, (but wouldn't want him) you can't keep shitting on them when at least they have made an effort, i bet if we didn't approach Slater and he ends up at Melb people would be hammering them for not approaching him.

Dragon David

First Grade
Not that excited about any of the candidates to be honest.
Hasler, Maguire and Flanagan all have baggage of some sort and the others generally are raw and inexperienced - Ryles, Hornby, Young, etc. Hannay and Morris I'd try but they don't have Dragons DNA and even though Bennett didn't have that DNA he was the master of the universe at that time so it didn't matter.

Such a hard one and as several on here have said, this is the opportunity for the Board to get it right and whomever they decide to go for and get, it HAS to be right on the money not a maybe or possibility but the right one. Saying this though, the right one might not want to coach us like Fitzy and Ciraldo (although I reserve my opinion of these two to see how they are going in another years time).

If we knew who else they have put feelers out for (after Slater said no) and what criteria they have set to meet whatever requirements they see is essential then we can all have our say again, but it is all a guess as far as I am concerned and the candidates are still iffy as far as I am concerned as well. The way the club has been run, who we have had as a coach since Bennett, player problems, etc., it has taken its toll and to right any of the wrongs is going to take more time to heal than a year or so.

qld redvee

Juniors
Ideally it would be good to get a head coach that could transition into a GM role when he hands the reins to his successor . If des thought Hannay was a good successor then how about we put the deal to des for 2 years with hannay to take over after that and des to take over as head of football .. that may give us hope for our pathways moving forward . and give des a bonus for the rest of the year looking at the squad who to keep and who to leave .
If flanno had done something for us in recruitment retention i may have leant his way but lets get des who knows his stuff - and we can get rid of 5 settlers and a kick as our game plan ,,,, thats worth a new coach in itself

SEAT 1A

Bench
I’ll be honest, I’ve gone around in circles about who I want to coach. I started with Ryles or a solid assistant in that mould now I’m leaning towards a premiership winner like Des, Flanno.
I just don’t know, as long as it’s not Dean Young I’ll be OK.

I'm with you Crush. It's clear as mud.

There are pros and cons with all the contenders. Add the media to stir the pot with the clubs leaking which is disappointing as it's self inflicting.

Ryles and Deano under contract so, not straight forward. Hornby available and very quite and could be long term however, not tested and won't be signed long term, Shaun Wane hasn't coached the NRL and Flanno was let go.

Interview would be interesting. I'd go for as the first question, How will you get us out of this mess.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I really hope the Saints BOD are not playing with our emotions with all this and we hear in a few weeks Hook has been resigned after an extensive process and he was the best candidate. I surely don't think it will but such is our trust for the Saints board.

I hope they take their time with this as it is a big decision and one not to be rushed or pressured by the media and we hear what is best for all in the end and not just 2 blokes. They had a similar situation with McInness and Mary and stuck to their guns and went for what is best for the club and especially the fans.

At this pointy anyone is better than Hook from what I have heard of the other candidates. We have Rookeies coming from good systems and coaches with Premiership winning success. If the board really wants Flanno and it is only Doust in the way (apparently) then you would think he would be the odds on favourite as I am sure they will get Flanno in and he will win over Doust as he would have done before to get a recruitment role at the club.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Absolutely agree des Hasler is a gun coach people have short memories of his achievements not only winning 2 premierships his also been to 3 other losing deciders and twice with the bulldogs not many coaches can say they have been to 5 GF
He also front ended (or backended I don’t know) the bulldogs contracts and left them in shambles.

Mojo

Bench
He also front ended (or backended I don’t know) the bulldogs contracts and left them in shambles.
He? Personally, I doubt it's true. Des wouldn't have single-handedly made contract arrangements at the dogs or anywhere else.
It looks to me much more likely that he's been made a fall-guy because he doesn't suffer the fools he sometimes has to work with. This is one of the reasons I like him.
Anyway - our CEO has to be involved in all contracts - simple procedural solution.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Absolutely agree des Hasler is a gun coach people have short memories of his achievements not only winning 2 premierships his also been to 3 other losing deciders and twice with the bulldogs not many coaches can say they have been to 5 GF
Not forget… just judge differently; lucky to get there one year. Saints lead Melbourne and Storm scored after the full time; much controversy. We win that game Canterbury wouldn't have even have made the eight; ..friendly semi draw….With the roster and staff they purchased and how it impacted them for years i don’t think the Berries would have been that chuffed at the results they achieved.

Last edited:

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
He? Personally, I doubt it's true. Des wouldn't have single-handedly made contract arrangements at the dogs or anywhere else.
It looks to me much more likely that he's been made a fall-guy because he doesn't suffer the fools he sometimes has to work with. This is one of the reasons I like him.
Anyway - our CEO has to be involved in all contracts - simple procedural solution.
Yeah ok…makes sense

RedVDave

First Grade
They can't win, if they didn't approach Slater they would get bagged, if they do, they still get bagged, no win situation, i see it as proactive, (but wouldn't want him) you can't keep shitting on them when at least they have made an effort, i bet if we didn't approach Slater and he ends up at Melb people would be hammering them for not approaching him.
Come on now really? He's not ready to be an NRL coach no way we should have even bothered approaching him a ridiculous decision they need a proven coach that's who they should be approaching not a one hit wonder.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
I still find it absolutely hilarious that they thought they could bring Slater here. Seriously, asking him to leave the storm legacy at a club built on greatness, relocate his young family as well... To come here? As if we're some lucrative club people are dying to come to lol