What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commentator Bloopers

What are some of the great commentator bloopers you can remember? I like Frank Hyde's fairly simple "If it wasn't for the rain it would be a fine day" but my favourite actually goes to an AFL radio "expert" who was asked (in the mid 1980's) to explain why Fitzroy was having a great year. Meaning to remark on how strong was their team spirit he unfortunately answered "Because they like playing with themselves". Realising that he had made a faux pas he then tried to retrieve the situation with "I meant to say they like playing with each other". He then gave up!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
There's the famous (60s or 70s?) radio call ofa cricket match by thenormally very very proper Alan McGilvray when he described a player stepping over the stumps as, 'getting his leg over'.
Even in the conservative world of cricket commentary, this would be fairly forgettable but poor old Alan couldn't contain himself after that and fell into fits of laughter. He tried to soldier on and give a 'ball by ball' description but couldn't stop himself from cracking up. The radio broadcast being delivered into 'BBC' households all over Britain.
Needless to say, this was from a 'tea and biscuit' man who would never partake in any exotic substances.

Two that I think are funny - An English radio Cricket commentator was describing a match in which English player Peter Willey was about to face West Indian bowler Michael Holding. His comment was 'As we return to play we find the bowler is Holding, the batsmen's Willey.'

The other one was League commentator Rex Mossop's comment when being asked about a nudist who he had performed a citizens arrest on when he walked off a beach near his home. Mossop's comment was 'How would you like male genitalia being forced down your throat every day.'

Willow

Assistant Moderator
roopy.. thanks a million...I've been trying to recall that Rex Mossop quote. It was a classic.
emsmile.gif

imported_Kaon

Juniors
Roopy, another of the Rex Mossop one is

"I'm sick and tired of having male genitalia being forced down my throat"

I don't know which one is correct but that's the one i've heard.

Sorry living in Melbourne for over 21 years I tend to have a few AFL ones. Jack Dyer when commentating on Justin Madden (a ruckman with a very long reach) tried to liken him to an octopus thrusting out his tentacle to grab the ball but the obvious happenned and he said "Madden hurls his giant testicle into the air".
Cheers
Bigbopper n

B

Bomber

Fairly tame, these ones

"And after that terrible start by Atherton and Gooch, I can tell all the listeners at home that England are rightning the ship"
Unnamed English commentator. Afterwards, the BBC was flooded with irate listeners demanding what right a commentator had to say 'right in the shit' on live radio

"And there's little Georgie Gatis, in his second game debut"
Dean Schifilliti on the Cowboys Call Team, after the Cowboys beat the Dragons.

"Stopping milk at schools seems to have a tremendous effect on New Zealanders"
Unnamed NZ cricket commentator on the plight of NZ Cricket

"If Ben Walker kicks this goal I'll walk to Cairns and back"
Unnamed Cowboys Call Teamcommentator when Walker had a goal to tie scores after the bell between the Cowboys and Brisbane (also remembered as Alfie Langer's last NRL game). He got it.

"And they have run four on that, up and down, up and down, up and down."
Richie Benaud

"The sledger has to be able to sledge the sledgee."
Jeff Thompson

"Jesus Christ, I'm getting f*cking drowned here"
Jeff Thompson again, off air (supposedly) after standing in the rain at Lords with only a microphone for protection.

"That's a lovely merkin shot by Slater"
Ian Chappell. He meant to say 'cut shot'

"Australia have won three. England have won three. So they are fairly equal."
Richie Benaud

Latest posts