What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comments - Warriors vs Storm

ToiletDuck

Juniors
My worst fear is that Ivan is just going to leave the centres as is, and drop Witt for Ropati. Somebody shoot me if that happens. We need Simon out wide.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
I wouldnt neccessarily single out either winger for leaking points in that game. Theyre links in a defensive chain. It only takes one or two players in that chain to make a poor read of the situation to throw everything out. Like the 2nd(?) Melbourne try that saw Vatuvei outnumbered and have to cover a huge gap because the rest of our defensive line on that side was compressed almost midfield.

wittyfan

Referee
ToiletDuck said:
My worst fear is that Ivan is just going to leave the centres as is, and drop Witt for Ropati. Somebody shoot me if that happens. We need Simon out wide.

Shoot me too!

I was glad to see Witty come back on later, but I'm nervous about Tuesday.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Firstly, why the hell are you just pointing at Witt for? Everyone, every single one in this team wasn't up to scratch. They all played badly he wasn't the only person. Just because he happened to get hooked (wtf? Never saw it)..and he wasn't the only one either. Several of them should have been (too bad we only have four bench players). So no I don't believe Witt is or even should be a scapegoat for fans to pick on. He definitely wasn't playing well BUT:

'What was up with the forwards? They were getting no where! Secondly, several times Mannering had chances to pass the ball on, he held on and while that is 'safety first' football, you got to chance your arm a little. Several times in the latter part of the first half Melbourne were tiring out, players walked around with hands on head we should have taken better options attacking wise. What the hell was Logan doing pushing half those passes for? He threw a shocker of a one that was for Crockett no doubt but bloody hell that was a bad pass!'

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
and lastly... Ozbash you need to grow up and stop playing around on a forum like a child. Do something that is more worthwhile instead of using me as your little escape goat whenever something goes wrong. Since you can't understand:

GET A LIFE OZBASH

Skram

Juniors
While I think the timing of the game and the resulting midday heat it was played in may have been quite a contributing factor today, however, the fact of the matter is most of the players weren't up to scratch.
Like many have already mentioned, our bench players were great, especially the forwards. Price played what was probably one of his worst games in recent memory (which in a way is a good thing because with a player like Price you know bad games are a rareity so at least he got his out of the way early in the season) by his standards anyways.
Was it just me or was Swann moving in slow motion? I hope Koopu or Louis Anderson can heal up fast because Mr Suave didn't look the part today and hasn't really done that much so far to indicate he'll be able to keep either of those two out if they're in form.

MKEB...

Staff member
Skram said:
Was it just me or was Swann moving in slow motion? I hope Koopu or Louis Anderson can heal up fast because Mr Suave didn't look the part today and hasn't really done that much so far to indicate he'll be able to keep either of those two out if they're in form.

Swann -----> Lions.

ozbash

Referee
byrne_rovelli_fan82 said:
and lastly... Ozbash you need to grow up and stop playing around on a forum like a child. Do something that is more worthwhile instead of using me as your little escape goat whenever something goes wrong. Since you can't understand:

GET A LIFE OZBASH

:iwstupid:

dont despair folks, we didnt actually play thjat badly, some had a brief spell of the 04's but soon got their collective acts together, even witty who played a whole heap better when he came back on ..

really hope uncle ivan doesnt change the squad/team tomorrow.

who noticed the change of pace/intensity when fein took over from gatis ?
same when capt mannering went out to his rightful place in the centers?
who noticed manu hasnt dropped a ball in 3 games ? :D
who noticed that craig bellamy/steve kearney are very astute coaches ?
Every time (in the first half) the warriors played the ball, by the time it got to dummy half the storm defence were right up in our faces, by the time it got to 1st receiver they were ready to grab him. (or her, in witts case)
Added to that was the storms first 2 tries were both results from blatant forward passes.

we went ok, we'll be all the better for that game.

stupid time to be getting ready for a game, just after breakfast,, eh ?

Skinner

Coach
mad kiwi elloco bandido said:
Swann -----> Lions.

And that is a problem. All he is going to do is take up a young fella's spot in that
team.

They should NEVER have brought him back:roll:

AliN

Live Update Team
byrne_rovelli_fan82 said:
Firstly, why the hell are you just pointing at Witt for? Everyone, every single one in this team wasn't up to scratch. They all played badly he wasn't the only person. Just because he happened to get hooked (wtf? Never saw it)..and he wasn't the only one either. Several of them should have been (too bad we only have four bench players). So no I don't believe Witt is or even should be a scapegoat for fans to pick on. He definitely wasn't playing well BUT:

Sorry Spinny don't agree with you there.
We didn't play that badly. Check the stats, the Storm played worse than us. The difference being our mistake were at crucial times.

The Storm's defence for the majority of the game was in ya face stuff that nullified anything we tried to do. Thank Bellamy for that, and for targetting Martin's side in the early stages.
An early game isn't a good enough excuse. We play the Cowboys 2pm on the 15th.

We were lucky to bounce back from a slow start last week. Not so lucky yesterday. However the scoreline didn't blow out like it could've.

The impact from the bench was impressive. Fein for me, should start. Gatis 2 weeks in a row now, has been sluggish from the kick off.
Great to see Rapira and Ervan going well.

If McKinnon can catch the offloads regularly from the forwards, look out. Some fine tuning on his relexes is needed.

Swann, amongst others including Mannering, did some silly things on attack, but their defencive effort was huge. The scoreline could've easily been greater.

No doubting the wake up call yesterday showed some weaknesses, but I really don't thing we did too badly. Credit to the Storm, they're a good side.

I hope the team named is basically the same side, and we can go on and give Manly their first loss in 2007. Witt needs to have a good game.

Scott

Bench
I see no need for any changes. It was a bad 20 minutes to start the game. They will learn from it. Same 17 for mine.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
RLIF said:
Hohaia to 6,
Mannering to 4,
Russel Packer to bench.

Witt------> Lions

You're having a laugh, ain't ya???

Russel Packer is not ready for 1st grade yet. Give him at least a full year in PL.

Witt does not deserve to be dropped.

EJS

Juniors
The Prospect of JRO replacing witt isn't thrilling me
Communication between Witt, center and wing was lacking, but I think witt should get another game at least (harsh to drop him when others are potentially worthy of the same fate

Storm are on fire - did well to contain them as much as they did

JJ

Immortal
meh - Melbourne are the best team in the comp by a decent distance, as they were last year. Too much was read into last year's win in Melbourne by many.

No shame in losing to that unit, and I don't think the good progress made by the Warriors has been undone at all - hopefully Cleary thinks likewise, I'd had to see chopping and changing.

Manly will be a good test, I'd expect that one to be close

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I wouldn't be dropping anyone, but I'd be doing some serious work with the side this week to try and get them revved up to come out strongly in the first 20 minutes. Get the forwards running straight and hard, don't think about any offloads unless they're inside the opposition 30. As AliN said we got away with it against Brisbane, not so lucky againt a red-hot Storm outfit.

We weren't great against the Storm, but I wouldn't go making wholesale changes yet. Bad results are going to happy, especially playing away at possibly the best team in the competition. The stats after the game were interesting though, since virtually all of them would have suggested that it was pretty even with the Warriors slightly on top. Just a good example of how deceptive statistics can be. :)

The main change that I'd like to make is Mannering back into the centers as we could do with some more size there, although that may have to wait until Anderson and/or Koopu is back from injury. I suppose a stopgap solution could be putting Byrne in there as I rate him at center, but that would seem a bit harsh on Hohaia or Martin. Witt probably needs to step it up a bit in his next few games to keep his spot ahead of Ropati or even Hohaia, but he deserves more time. You'd have to think that he'd be up for a good game against the Sea Eagles after all.

JJ

Immortal
I'd consider putting Mannering or Ropati in the centres for Hohaia... but, again, given how good Melbourne are I'd wait and see - nobody deserves to be dropped yet given their start to the season

Latest posts