What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commonwealth Games 9's - Redcliffe 2018 / Policy / process for team selections ?

The Partisan

Wonder how each nation will go about the selection process for next years 9's event ?

Believe it is an u/23's eligibility.

Last time when it was an u/19's and the Australian squad was actually (and controversially) the NSW winners of the u/18's comp from memory. (Who i think had lost to Townsville in the annual challenge match between State champs.)

For all teams bar Australia and England will it be a development squad drawing heavily on domestic talent ? Will 'heritage' or overseas based players get more positions ? Will there be an equal mix ? Will the RLIF or organisers set a policy ?

FYI.

8 teams - Papua New Guinea (defending Title Holders) hosts Australia, England , Scotland, Fiji, Samoa, Wales and Tonga.

6 teams in the Women’s competition, hosts Australia joined by Canada, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga and the Cook Islands.

Be nice to keep to the subject - that is how the selections will work per country ? The issue of who is there and who isn't or its timing and location s a separate topic elsewhere on the forum ....just search for it and add your point of view there ! ;)

Stallion

First Grade
Looking forward to the Nines in the Commonwealth games. More should be made of this by our code in general. I know I will be watching! Probably one of only a few sports I will watch at the games. It's a gr8 way to publicise our game to the rest of the Commonwealth.

Stallion

First Grade
Correct, its not actually part of the Commonwealth Games itself but the RLIF have been trying to have it added to the Comm Games.

So is it part of the Commonwealth games? If it's a demonstration sport then it should be given decent publicity as part of the games? Or is it a half baked attempt at credibility and the system has once again fobbed it off?

Force

Juniors
So is it part of the Commonwealth games? If it's a demonstration sport then it should be given decent publicity as part of the games? Or is it a half baked attempt at credibility and the system has once again fobbed it off?
No, its not part of the Commonwealth Games. The Commonwealth Games are held in April, the Nines are in Feb.. Forgot to add, the Commonwealth Championship Nines was endorsed by the Commonwealth Games Federation so thats a start.

Stallion

First Grade
No, its not part of the Commonwealth Games. The Commonwealth Games are held in April, the Nines are in Feb.. Forgot to add, the Commonwealth Championship Nines was endorsed by the Commonwealth Games Federation so thats a start.

So rugby-league should promote this as a worthy tournament. It's dissapointing that it is not on when the actual games are on as the increased publicity would have been very handy for the code. However little steps are better than no steps I suppose. Hope it leads to some more recognition RL deserves.

Not that I've seen.

I suspect the likes of Canada would be more on top of things than any of the big nations but even they haven't said anything about when or how they're choosing a squad.

latingringo101

Juniors
I'm glad the women's Pacific teams are playing even after the way they were treated in 2017 RLWC qualifiers.

I'm glad that both men and women's teams are playing however how some teams aren't playing is odd (ie Jamaica, south Africa, NZ, Solomons, Vanuatu etc).

As for who's going to win...Aussies in both divisions

Pommy

Coach
Any idea why England women aren’t in it? I find it hard to believe the RFL couldnt cover the costs.

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach
I'd personally like us to pick our strongest u23s as possible..

England RL needs to start developing a winning culture! Youth,academy,u23s,knights & the test side..all need to get used to winning.

CQ Italia

Juniors
Fiji could have a potential strong side if they went with the best possible team, but may go locals route if funding is sourced

Bati from the RLWC: Vunivalu, Jacob Saifiti, Lovadua, Kikau, Montoya, Ravalawa, Fainga'a, Milne
Others; Daniel Saifiti (injured at RLWC), Lumelume (Sharks NRL squad)

Plus; likes of Junior Ratuva (Storm rookie 18-19yo in 2018), Pio Nakubuwai, etc from u20s/u18s/State Cups

Ben nakubuwai will be in UK.

Latest posts