What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cook for an origin bench spot

Travitoh

First Grade
So it's important we do not just look at the stats that favour McInnes. Stats arentbthe be all and end all though.

Both are playing well but I feel Cookie is in better touch.

Cookie actually leads McInnes 4-3 in try assists

The stats i quoted were taken from the NRL app and has McInnes with 4 TA's to Cook's 3.

I looked at the stats out of curiosity and felt they tell a story.

Looking through SC stats, Mcinnes has far less missed tackles (10-23), one more try involvement (3 TA/4 LT - 4 TA/2 LT), conceded one more penalty (9-8) and less errors (3-12).

Cook is an elite runner without a doubt but beyond that, not much else has him ahead of other options imo.

This is a debate that won't be settled anytime soon as it's all a matter of personal opinion but one thing is for sure, they're definitely the two stand out hookers in 2018.

CliveC

Juniors
Fittler has improved in his dialogue as a commentator let's hope the same as a coach/selector.
If Tedesco,Fergus,Keary,Mitchell and Cordner are all selected and Crichton on the bench
will you be happy if McInnes is selected and Cook " overlooked"
Cook IS the form hooker bar none.Keary Cordner and Tedesco certainly aren't in top form and are marginally in the mix.Imo.
Can hardly wait to see the squad!

thebrow

Juniors
Fittler has improved in his dialogue as a commentator let's hope the same as a coach/selector.
If Tedesco,Fergus,Keary,Mitchell and Cordner are all selected and Crichton on the bench
will you be happy if McInnes is selected and Cook " overlooked"
Cook IS the form hooker bar none.Keary Cordner and Tedesco certainly aren't in top form and are marginally in the mix.Imo.
Can hardly wait to see the squad!
Mitchell deserves a spot , Cordner as captain of the team will retain his spot rightly despite being out of form severely this year coming back from knee surgery. Tedesco is down on form but is the current fullback , Tommy Turbo hasn’t been great either so if Teddy gets spot it’s not too bad. Ferguson , Keary and Angus shouldn’t be and won’t be in the team

thebrow

Juniors
McInnes also has a silly penalty in him. Not sure what the stats are but I think he'd have given away more penalties than Cook. At least in the past 4-5 weeks that's how it has seemed to be.

Penalties are 9-8 to Cook.( i.e Cam has 9 Cook has 8 so Cook is better )

Mistakes are 12 to Cook 3 to Cam

Mistackles are 23 to Cook 10 to Cam

Cook is electric , Cam is more fundamental

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Penalties are 9-8 to Cook.

Mistakes are 12 to Cook 3 to Cam

Mistackles are 23 to Cook 10 to Cam

Cook is electric , Cam is more fundamental
Cook has made 79 more tackles.

Efficiency is 97-95 so nothing in it.

Penalties are closer than I thought.

Re errors for what Cookie brings of course there is a higher risk for errors. When you play that way it's bound to happen.. but for what he brings that outweighs the errors.

CliveC

Juniors
If Cook misses out and Angus is in,would this be yet another example of prejudice in selection of the SOO?
Who can forget the humiliation of Souths captain John Sutton in a "train off"

southsport

First Grade
If Cook misses out and Angus is in,would this be yet another example of prejudice in selection of the SOO?
All things being equal I think Fittler will definitely go with players from clubs that he is connected with in some way.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
As an avid supporter of Cook over the last couple of years I’m absolutely stoked for him to get his chance in origin. Has busted his ass off to become the starting number 9 for Souths and I think he’ll kill it at origin level. Good on Fittler for picking him. Should be a new Era for NSW.

I’m also stoked for Crichton. I thought he started the year out quite poorly but has definitely shut the haters (including me) up. I haven’t been able to catch the last few games but he must of been a standout.

Congrats to both of these Souths boys on their origin debut.

doyen

Bench

Apparently it was very close between Cook & McInnes---McInnes lost the job following the Panther's match---Cook's starring game against the Warriors got him the nod!!
Cook's improvement under Seibs has been startling;to the point that his all-round game is now of quality standard!!
He is up against a seasoned campaigner in McCullough[224 NRL games]so it will be a big test for Damien in his maiden SOO!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Apparently it was very close between Cook & McInnes---McInnes lost the job following the Panther's match---Cook's starring game against the Warriors got him the nod!!
Cook's improvement under Seibs has been startling;to the point that his all-round game is now of quality standard!!
He is up against a seasoned campaigner in McCullough[224 NRL games]so it will be a big test for Damien in his maiden SOO!!
Where'd you hear that??

Cookie outplayed Mcturtle when we played them round 10 and I'd have thought that's where he won it!

Cookie had to go above and beyond for Fittler to probably actually say oh I'll pick a Souths player!

Cook always had this in him Doyen like I said all along. Madge stifled him and would not let him play his game plus didn't have faith in him.

doyen

Bench
Where'd you hear that??

Cookie outplayed Mcturtle when we played them round 10 and I'd have thought that's where he won it!

Cookie had to go above and beyond for Fittler to probably actually say oh I'll pick a Souths player!

Cook always had this in him Doyen like I said all along. Madge stifled him and would not let him play his game plus didn't have faith in him.

Both Cook & McInnes are rated very highly------Cook has surprised a lot with his progress under Seibs----but I agree;Madge stuffed Cook about just like he did McInnes & Peats!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Both Cook & McInnes are rated very highly------Cook has surprised a lot with his progress under Seibs----but I agree;Madge stuffed Cook about just like he did McInnes & Peats!!
Cookie has the best running game by far out of these 3.

I love hookers that run like Cookie and Isaac.

Cookie has really improved in defence and is actually now a much better defender than Api.

Of course McInnes has the best defence but I feel Cook makes up for it in lightning game changing speed over McInnes.

I actually think Cookie will keep looking to improve his defence. There isn't too much of him size wise but he's a tough bugger Cookie.