What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cook vs Farah

What Should Our Hooking Situation Be?

• Damien Cook (80 mins)

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Robbie Farah (80 mins)

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Damien Cook starts, Robbie Farah benched

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Robbie Farah starts, Damien Cook benched

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

Travitoh

First Grade
In the past 3 seasons, having two hookers in the 17 hasn't worked for us and our best run of results in that time has come with only the 1 (Luke in 2015, Cook in 2016).
It isn't down to the individual as much as it is team balance.

De tmTrajic

Juniors
It's been highly debated for a while and neither player has really cemented a spot. So what do you think we should have as our hooking situation?
I think Farah is a class above Cook. In fact if you look at how he builds a game plan ( Madge's plan) we are better organised.
Cook is a go getter. Tough & fast. Not a team leadrr.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I've said this in the rumours and signings thread, but a lot of our supporters seem to overhype average players who have hit a small patch of good form. For example we should have thrown big money at Asiata, while this year alone I've read in their that we should make big money plays on Paasi, Latu and Matagi. I believe this is what happened with cook. After his good little cameo at the end of 2015 at the bulldogs everyone got aboard the hype train. But the simple fact is Cook has played no where near the level he played during his bulldogs cameo. But i think people are refusing to believe that, that he hasn't lived up to the hype, and it may even be a subconscious thing. In their minds every half break is converted to a full break, everything good that happens on the field can be traced back to him. The sloppy service, especially on 5th tackle, the brain fades, the panicky plays and hospital passes when he doesn't want to get tackled and the continually being bumped off in defence is completely ignored. When we won a few last year it was down to him, yet he played 80 in some of our worse losses and that's ignored. We had Inglis and reynolds back and firing, and all 3 burgii in good form for the last 5 games of 2016 but many will tell you it was cooks doing. It goes in reverse as well, as many will pick apart any minor errors his competitors (mcinnes and farah) make. It's so bad that many souths fans flat out refuse to believe what almost everyone other nrl follower does, that mcinnes is now one of the form hookers of the comp. Like i said it's a subconscious thing, people want to believe cook is going better then he really is, the club even contributes, Cook had appeared in more social media posts then any other player with possibly the exception of Sam. It's almost like subliminal messaging. Cook is an average hooker with a 1 huge asset, speed. He is good enough to fill in for first grade but i don't think he is a hooker you can build a game around like Smith, Luke, Hodgson, farah in the past and mcinnes in the future. He lacks vision, he doesn't have the temperament, he can't quite control/manage things and his defence isn't up to standard. The fact that many souths fans think he should play origin says a lot

De tmTrajic

Juniors
I've said this in the rumours and signings thread, but a lot of our supporters seem to overhype average players who have hit a small patch of good form. For example we should have thrown big money at Asiata, while this year alone I've read in their that we should make big money plays on Paasi, Latu and Matagi. I believe this is what happened with cook. After his good little cameo at the end of 2015 at the bulldogs everyone got aboard the hype train. But the simple fact is Cook has played no where near the level he played during his bulldogs cameo. But i think people are refusing to believe that, that he hasn't lived up to the hype, and it may even be a subconscious thing. In their minds every half break is converted to a full break, everything good that happens on the field can be traced back to him. The sloppy service, especially on 5th tackle, the brain fades, the panicky plays and hospital passes when he doesn't want to get tackled and the continually being bumped off in defence is completely ignored. When we won a few last year it was down to him, yet he played 80 in some of our worse losses and that's ignored. We had Inglis and reynolds back and firing, and all 3 burgii in good form for the last 5 games of 2016 but many will tell you it was cooks doing. It goes in reverse as well, as many will pick apart any minor errors his competitors (mcinnes and farah) make. It's so bad that many souths fans flat out refuse to believe what almost everyone other nrl follower does, that mcinnes is now one of the form hookers of the comp. Like i said it's a subconscious thing, people want to believe cook is going better then he really is, the club even contributes, Cook had appeared in more social media posts then any other player with possibly the exception of Sam. It's almost like subliminal messaging. Cook is an average hooker with a 1 huge asset, speed. He is good enough to fill in for first grade but i don't think he is a hooker you can build a game around like Smith, Luke, Hodgson, farah in the past and mcinnes in the future. He lacks vision, he doesn't have the temperament, he can't quite control/manage things and his defence isn't up to standard. The fact that many souths fans think he should play origin says a lot
I think the powers that be took a good hard look at Souths today & Souths 2014. Then went to work replicating. Not what i would of tried to do.
They saw Luke with his speed & thought Mcginess could never be like Luke. Cook could be, maybe?
Then tgey lookedat the other gaping holes & shit themselves. I mean where do you find an old legend like Lote? They come with ??,
The Burgess boys were incredible in 2014 So they pay bucl loads to copy & paste again. Again it's the past. Leave it there with my SOUTHS WIN 2014 bumper sticker.
Time to move onto the future. 22 has to be an iriginal campaign just like 21 was.
I think the answer lies in youth. Boys that are now 16, 17, 18, & up to 21. Get them now & plan for 22 in a few years. The team we have now will never do a 21.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I absolutely hate when people say isaac luke and damien cook are the same style hooker. They can't be more different. Isaac Luke thrived on physical confrontation, his nickname bully was well earnt (wasn't that nickname given to him because he would stand up to bullies at school who picked on smaller ppl?). Damien cook is the exact opposite in that regard. Luke was never physically fast. He was smart enough to know when to take off and had the power to beat markers and a defenders. He appeared faster then he really was due to a high hooker iq. Cook again is the opposite. He is physically fast, but he never picks the right time to dart, amd because he is afraid to take on markers or A defenders he rarely makes use of that exceptional physical gift he has

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
oi R20 its ok mate they are in ore of your expertise of vast knowledge in rugby league mate take it as a compliment....Shadow...

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Once again we looked great with Farah starting and playing 80.
What's the point of keeping cook benched til the 65min? With 4 forward tonight it could have been a different result.
The experiment is over and we have the answer, but come origin cook will get yet another chance ( how many now? 4th chance ). So using the train of thought Madge is using now does Dietz or Grienke come into side on the bench for 2 hookers?

De tmTrajic

Juniors
I absolutely hate when people say isaac luke and damien cook are the same style hooker. They can't be more different. Isaac Luke thrived on physical confrontation, his nickname bully was well earnt (wasn't that nickname given to him because he would stand up to bullies at school who picked on smaller ppl?). Damien cook is the exact opposite in that regard. Luke was never physically fast. He was smart enough to know when to take off and had the power to beat markers and a defenders. He appeared faster then he really was due to a high hooker iq. Cook again is the opposite. He is physically fast, but he never picks the right time to dart, amd because he is afraid to take on markers or A defenders he rarely makes use of that exceptional physical gift he has
I agree but i was trying to justify buying him.