What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Norman - It's Official...

Utey

Coach
BRISBANE Broncos fullback Corey Norman has officially signed with the Parramatta Eels today on a three year deal worth over $1.2 million. Norman, 22, is a talented playmaker who debuted for the Broncos in 2010.
He was Darren Lockyer’s replacement at five-eighth last year but after a promising start wilted in the back end of the season as the Broncos slumped to finish eighth.
News Ltd was the first to report on the Eels interest in Norman on February 17.
He is a talented player and unfortunately for Broncos fans, his best years could be spent in an Eels jersey.
Broncos coach Anthony Griffin had been confident Norman would stay, but it was an offer too good to refuse and will allow Norman to take care of his mother who still works night shifts at a Gold Coast petrol station.
Parramatta recruitment boss Peter Nolan was a key figure in the battle for Norman's signature.

Nolan left the Broncos at the end of 2010 to take up his posting at the Eels and is known to be a huge fan of Norman, who was named under-20s back of the year during Nolan's tenure at Red Hill.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...nco-corey-norman/story-e6frexnr-1226605413550

EelsFan05

Bench
It surprises me that they let a 21 year old 5/8 go when Prince surely doesnt have much time left in his career. Weird if you ask me.

natheel

Coach
I think if you wish to see how he goes you better start watching the Redcliffe Dolphins :lol:

the point you made about keeping him, the fact we can throw around lumps sums to sign Dugan says that we didn't wanna keep him THAT badly, I would imagine Dugan will be worth more in coin then Norman

I see it as a calculated risk by us, we have til round 13 to counter-offer in that time the fate of Dugan would be known for sure, if we don't get Dugan we can obviously throw the bank at Norman but the million dollar question arises again, is he worth it at this stage in his career?

Yeh thats true. Fans always have a more scrutinased view of their club. If a club loses a prospect the fans initially jump on the 'he is over-rated' band wagon straight away. But i agree 400k is a lot for Norman at this stage in his career but like Sandow we are hoping he will eventually turn into that type of player that commands that much.

Thing is you guys are apparently throwing 650k at Dugan which imo is just as a bigger risk as our apparent figure for Norman. Basically Dugan has talent we all know that but with that talent comes a lot of issues. To me i wouldn't throw tat much at him. The way he fell out with Furner and the Raiders shows he has a problem with being told what to do. If he goes to Brisbane i hope he turns it round but i can't see it happening straight away. Like Carney i think it'll take a stint in a remote comp and another NRL club to finally realise he needs to sort himself out.

EelsFan05

Bench
Yeh thats true. Fans always have a more scrutinased view of their club. If a club loses a prospect the fans initially jump on the 'he is over-rated' band wagon straight away. But i agree 400k is a lot for Norman at this stage in his career but like Sandow we are hoping he will eventually turn into that type of player that commands that much.

Thing is you guys are apparently throwing 650k at Dugan which imo is just as a bigger risk as our apparent figure for Norman. Basically Dugan has talent we all know that but with that talent comes a lot of issues. To me i wouldn't throw tat much at him. The way he fell out with Furner and the Raiders shows he has a problem with being told what to do. If he goes to Brisbane i hope he turns it round but i can't see it happening straight away. Like Carney i think it'll take a stint in a remote comp and another NRL club to finally realise he needs to sort himself out.

Not to mention he is injured more often then not.

eels_fan

First Grade
Corey Norman signs with the Parramatta Eels
Eels Digital
Monday 25 March 2013 2:40 PM

The Pirtek Parramatta Eels today announce the signing of Corey Norman to a 3 year deal from the start of the 2014 season.
Since making his debut in 2010, Norman has played 49 NRL matches for the Brisbane Broncos.
“Brisbane got me to where I am today, and for that the Broncos will always be special to me. That said, I am ready for a new challenge from 2014 and heading to Parramatta next season gives me an opportunity to test myself outside of my comfort zone.
"Until then I’ll be doing my absolute best for the Broncos,” Corey Norman said.
Norman did however have a strong and direct message for Parramatta Eels members and fans:
“I understand that under the NRL rules I have until round 13 to change my mind, but I just wanted Eels members, fans and sponsors to know that I will be standing 100% by my decision to make the move to Sydney.
"I have made a commitment by signing a contract and I will see that commitment and contract through," he said.

At 185cm and 96 kilograms, Corey Norman shapes as an intimidating figure in the Parramatta backline and his versatility to play five-eighth, halfback or fullback has Head Coach Ricky Stuart confident that the Keebra Park High School product can become a dangerous weapon in the Eels' arsenal.
“Corey has all the attributes to have a successful career in the NRL. He is big and confident, has all the skills and has served a good apprenticeship under some pretty decent playmakers up in Brisbane," Stuart said.
"We can’t wait to get him down here and make him a part of our team and culture.”
After several years as the understudy to league great Darren Lockyer, Norman will head to Parramatta looking to establish himself as a frontline playmaker.
Pirtek Parramatta Eels Chief Executive Officer Ken Edwards believes there is no better place than Parramatta for the 22 year old to reach his full potential.
“Ricky Stuart has created an incredibly tight knit unit out of his squad this season, and it is our firm belief that Corey will relish the opportunity to work inside that environment," Mr Edwards said.
"Corey is an impressive young man, we believe he is also a future representative player and he will bring a lot to this club both on the field and off it."

http://www.parraeels.com.au/news-display/70761

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
From the eels site:

. “I understand that under the NRL rules I have until round 13 to change my mind, but I just wanted Eels members, fans and sponsors to know that I will be standing 100% by my decision to make the move to Sydney.

"I have made a commitment by signing a contract and I will see that commitment and contract through," he said.

Ha ha funny boy, I bet the eels wrote this part of the press release.

nöyd

Staff member
News Ltd was the first to report on the Eels interest in Norman on February 17.

congratulations on being first

what do you win? a chupa-chup?

f**kwits

Avenger

Immortal
Hey noyd can I please have an updated avenger sig with the current emblem and just my nick?

Welcome Corey !

I'm all for the introduction of talented young players in our team. I trust Ricky & Nolan and look forward to seeing him in the 6 next year.