What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys recrutiment

davi

Juniors
Hi guys,

This is not a post to cause trouble, but does anyone think the Cowboys recruitment has been asleep at the wheel? It's just some of their most prominent talent in their own backyard seem to be playing for other teams and have never put on a Cowboys jersey. I ask the question because I'm just curious.

Sam Thaiday – Townsville

Billy Slater – Innisfail

Benny Barba – Mackay

Justin Hodges – Cairns

Dave Taylor - Yeppoon

butchmcdick

Immortal
Hi guys,

This is not a post to cause trouble, but does anyone think the Cowboys recruitment has been asleep at the wheel? It's just some of their most prominent talent in their own backyard seem to be playing for other teams and have never put on a Cowboys jersey. I ask the question because I'm just curious.

Sam Thaiday – Townsville

Billy Slater – Innisfail

Benny Barba – Mackay

Justin Hodges – Cairns

Dave Taylor - Yeppoon

You can't sign everyone

How many Brisbane based players have the Broncos missed ?

Cam Smith, JT, Cooper Cronk just to name a few

You can't keep them all. Or sometimes, not being recruited and going elsewhere is the kick up the bum a player needs to spur them on to be a good, better or great player.

simmo05

Bench
Coyboys didnt want third man. He had to go elsewhere. His mum always bags the cowboys when she gets interviewed

Life's Good

Coach
Hi guys,

Sam Thaiday – Townsville

Billy Slater – Innisfail

Benny Barba – Mackay

Justin Hodges – Cairns

Dave Taylor - Yeppoon
I dont think so. They have several rep players. They have developed plenty of talent. They are the only QLD team to have won a comp in the last 10 years so things look good for them. And as mentioned already, you can't sign/keep them all. There are plenty of other clubs that would be well in front of NQ on less than ideal recruitment. I mean, imagine signing Benj............

Reactions: OVP

jim_57

Staff member
Hi guys,

Sam Thaiday – Townsville

Billy Slater – Innisfail

Benny Barba – Mackay

Justin Hodges – Cairns

Dave Taylor - Yeppoon

Can't sign everyone as juniors, especially this day and age when every club is in the market for pretty much every junior across Australia and NZ.

We won the premiership a couple seasons ago, if we had been perennial spooners and had a current team full of chumps you might have a point.

Canard

Immortal
Hi guys,

Sam Thaiday – Townsville

Billy Slater – Innisfail

Benny Barba – Mackay

Justin Hodges – Cairns

Dave Taylor - Yeppoon

This almost appears to be a bump from a decade ago? You've really had to go back in time to find some salt.

Two of the guys you mentioned are retired or not playing League anymore, the others are a has been and a veteran in his final years.

You'd have to consider that when some of those were teenagers circa late 90s early 2000s the Broncos would have been a far more attractive destination than the Cowboys.

Yeppoon is more Central Qld and it was never NQ territory anyway, although Taylor was from the coalfields but went to school at Yeppoon. Mackay has only become more of a Cowboys area in more recent years when the Cutters joined the Q Cup and affiliated with them. And Slater didn't get signed as a kid. He was a late bloomer if anything due to his jockey work and perceived lack of size. He made his way to the Storm via Brisbane Norths. I remember watching him and not thinking he was anything special. Cronk was the same.

davi

Juniors
You can't sign everyone

How many Brisbane based players have the Broncos missed ?

Cam Smith, JT, Cooper Cronk just to name a few

Brisbane didn't 'miss' Cam Smith, Wayne Bennett tried to sign him but Smith thought he would have a better chance of cracking the starting side as hooker in Melbourne which is why he chose the Storm.

beave

Coach
Hi guys,

Sam Thaiday – Townsville

Billy Slater – Innisfail

Benny Barba – Mackay

Justin Hodges – Cairns

Dave Taylor - Yeppoon

Thaiday- he was a known thug when he was a kid and the club didn't want to deal with that shit. He was a gun but was in fights constantly.

Slater- he was a small kid that had to make a living by moving and riding horses in Brisbane for Gai waterhouse, he was also right under Brisbanes nose so throw some shit your idiot clubs way for not identifying his talents as well.

Barba- Like Thaiday, his/his families reputation precedes him, I heard stories that the club didn't want to put up with his off field shit either. Proved to be right 100% yeah?

Hodges-signed in 98-99 for Brisbane, do you need a history lesson on how f**king dysfunctional the cowboys were at the time? FMD, I wouldn't have let my kid play there at the time. Is kinda ironic though that his last year as captain of brisbane, loses to NQ in the GF?

Dave Taylor- FMD, really?

There's actually a heap of other players you could have used as examples such as Valentine Holmes, Aidan Guerra (his form not exactly awesome at the moment), DCE, Hoffman but hey, I'm actually highly surprised you didn't just bump up an obscure thread from yester year that has some half assed irrelevant topic.

We could always do a Brisbane one, include Thurston, Smith, Cronk?

Dave Taylor in-f**king-deed.

Last edited:

davi

Juniors
Thaiday- he was a known thug when he was a kid and the club didn't want to deal with that shit. He was a gun but was in fights constantly.

Slater- he was a small kid that had to make a living by moving and riding horses in Brisbane for Gai waterhouse, he was also right under Brisbanes nose so throw some shit your idiot clubs way for not identifying his talents as well.

Barba- Like Thaiday, his/his families reputation precedes him, I heard stories that the club didn't want to put up with his off field shit either. Proved to be right 100% yeah?

Hodges-signed in 98-99 for Brisbane, do you need a history lesson on how f**king dysfunctional the cowboys were at the time? FMD, I wouldn't have let my kid play there at the time. Is kinda ironic though that his last year as captain of brisbane, loses to NQ in the GF?

Dave Taylor- FMD, really?

There's actually a heap of other players you could have used as examples such as Valentine Holmes, Aidan Guerra (his form not exactly awesome at the moment), DCE, Hoffman but hey, I'm actually highly surprised you didn't just bump up an obscure thread from yester year that has some half assed irrelevant topic. We could always do a Brisbane one, include Thurston, Smith, Cronk?

Dave Taylor in-f**king-deed.

This is not meant to be I hate Cowboys crap. Just more philosophical/historical record on why players were not signed and for what reasons. I'm happy to acknowledge Broncos missing out on Dylan Napa. Broncos didn't even look twice at him and then only tried to sign him after the Rooster showed strong interest.

Dave Taylor had the potential and the talent just not the desire. He has played for Queensland and had games where he dominated. You can't deny despite his career not panning out the potential the talent was always there.

Your point on Sam Thaiday maybe true, but for all you Rugby league history buffs I've looked it up and here Sam Thaiday's take on why he never ended up at the Cowboys.

"BRONCOS enforcer Sam Thaiday is set to haunt North Queensland for the biggest recruitment blunder in their history after the Cowboys refused to pay $200 to sign him.

Thaiday revealed on Thursday how the Cowboys’ sparse development budget helped deliver him to the Broncos.

Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett and his scout, the late Cyril Connell, signed Thaiday in 2002 after watching him brawl with Sonny Bill Williams and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs in an under-17s interstate game.

Thaiday admits his path to NRL stardom could have taken a vastly different route if the Cowboys had been prepared to make a small investment in the Townsville Brothers junior.

It has been widely reported that the Cowboys never showed interest in Thaiday and his mother Julie even blasted the club as “donkeys” for not signing her son, but the man who became a Maroons and Test back-rower said money was the real impediment.

“It all fell apart over $200,” Thaiday said.

“The Cowboys did show interest. I did a couple of coaching clinics and some off-season camps with their Young Guns squad.

“I bumped into (former Cowboys coach) Murray Hurst just recently and he was the guy who wanted to sign me.

“At the time, Murray told the club to offer me $200 to keep me in Townsville but they didn’t even have that much in their budget to give me.

“Who knows where I would have gone at the Cowboys. I may have developed into a different player in Townsville, but going out of my comfort zone made me grow a lot more as a person and a man.

“It wasn’t too much longer after the Cowboys missed me that Cyril was in Townsville signing me.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...d/news-story/2cad1b8667424093713778c974c73cdb

beave

Coach
Yes, because he is going to man up and publicly say 'yeah i was a bit of a hoodrat on the field as a kid, I can see why they didn't want me'........

beave

Coach
And on Dave Taylor, we already had one fat lazy forward with a heap of potential who thought he was a halfback.

Imagine having Carl Webb and Dave Taylor on the same together?

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
And on Dave Taylor, we already had one fat lazy forward with a heap of potential who thought he was a halfback.

Maccas would been constantly out of stock

thorson1987

Coach

hahaha holy shit.

From an outsiders perspective, that would have been f**king awesome.

So many newspaper articles about training the house down and being the fittest they have ever been each pre season.

Latest posts