What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Craig Gower

Fibroman

First Grade
There was a bit of conjecture at the start of the year when JL finally came to his senses and moved PC from the wing to 5/8, as to whether Gowie or PC should play half or 5/8.

You can't criticise JL for his decision, as you can't do any better than being minor premiers and winning the GF.

I often wonder however whether Gowie might have suffered another injustice as far as his rep honours are concerned.

With the injury to Barrett, and Sean 'cotton wool' Timmins being the only bloke to really step up to the mark for 5/8. I wonder if Gowie had of played 5/8 at Penrith this year, whether he would have got a start in the NZ test, and whether he would be in better stead to get a better run on the England tour. Given that Anderson is highly unlikely to start Gowie all the time Kimmorley is fit.

I personally think Gowie's style of play is more suited to 5/8 than half back, and visa versa with Campbell.

Have Gowie's and PC's rep careers suffered as a result of the needs of the club/coach?

swoop

Juniors
Gower should be the run-on halfback. Kimmoreley's style does not suit the Australian team and he should be dropped!!!!

Caged Panther

First Grade
swoop said:
Gower should be the run-on halfback. Kimmoreley's style does not suit the Australian team and he should be dropped!!!!

Kimmorely's style does not fit the australian team?? WTF!!! Kimmorely loves the flat style of game that the australian coach chris anderson loves to play. So I don't see much sense in that comment. I will however conceed the flat style of play doesn't suit the modern game.

Now on the issue of kimmorely while I was dismayed at his selection at half ahead of gower looking at the overall squad my thinking has swung a little.

Yes IMO gower should be playing half ahead of kimmorely, heck IMO kimmorely shouldnt even be in the squad. But he is and it has left the team somewhat stranded for options in the half 5/8 situation given I don't see wing as bringing his best to a game if playing in one of those two positions.

With kimmorely being on the tour I believe the best half 5/8 combination that can be put together is gower at 5/8 and kimmorely at half.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Thats the thing about Gowie. He changed positions to Hooker so that he could get more of a chance to play 1st Grade and be in the starting line up. In so doing becomes the games best Hooker (i think 2000). Then changes to halfback and within 2 years becomes one of the games best halves!

He's a true champion.

With his junior years playing 1/2 and 5/8th. I don't think it will stifle his chances at 5/8th at all.

I reckon we will see a lot of Gowie playing any one of these positions from now on. He will become one of those players that the selectors wouldnt think twice about leaving out. He is just so focused and adapts quickly.

Well that's my biased opinion. :D

Caged Panther

First Grade
Hi there PK nice to see you've made your way over here, no doubt in search of fix while the panthers forums are closed for the off season. :lol:

panthersballboy

Juniors
Chris anderson has named Gower at half for the test agaisnt France. Hopeflly Gowie puts in a good effort and keeps the no 7 for the ashes series. Luke Lewis is starting on the wing and Trent Waterhouse is in the back row with big Joel on the bench. Noddy is on the bench as well.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Ahh Gowie will kill it! :D

So with the other boys. Wish i could see them all in action.

JasonE

Bench
It's not actually a test match though guys, the French test side is in Lebanon playing in the Mediteranean Cup.

Dunshea

Juniors
I'd like to see Ando at ballboy for this tour but even then he would probly try to use a baseball to do the job of a football.

Dunshea

Juniors
I'd like to see Ando at ballboy for this tour but even then he would probly try to use a baseball to do the job of a football.

Priddo

Juniors
PK said:
Ahh Gowie will kill it! :D

So with the other boys. Wish i could see them all in action.

is that the PK from panthers.com.au?

the one who seems to never stop posting? :p :lol:

gower will show noody how its done thats for sure.

Fibroman

First Grade
I personally think Gowie has the game that will suit playing 5/8 at test level. I am looking forward to a great game from him, to cement his position in this side.

*Sandy*

First Grade
I reckon so too Mr Fibro!!!

Girds still a no-show. Hopefully a definate for the next game.

With Gowie's assistance, House to dazzle the pommies and put on a hattrick!!! :D

Caged Panther

First Grade
IMO gower should be starting half and kimmorely not on tour. However I realised after the NZ match probably the best gowie could hope for is a start at 5/8 and in all honesty with the decision to take kimmorely on tour its probably also the best for the side.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Yeah i can't believe Gower got sin binned for fighting, that won't do his great britain test spot too well for selection. It's good he played 5/8 but he should still be starting halfback.