What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Thread 2009

alexc

Whats his name has said it 1000 times. Half the cowboys supporters can't attend MNF because of travel times.

Red Bear

Referee
i'd say monday night football is an absolute pain in the arse for most fans, granted moreso for cowboys fans. Its not about the fans at all, its about the ratings.

MsStorm

Bench
i'd say monday night football is an absolute pain in the arse for most fans, granted moreso for cowboys fans. Its not about the fans at all, its about the ratings.

Agreed. I know I have said it a number of times.

Talking about pay-tv ratings...the Bulldogs vs Storm game on sat, night was the biggest audience that pay-tv provider fox sports has received for a nrl game - 359,000.

miccle

Bench

Absolutely. The Broncos are one of the only teams that it could really work for, as the Stadium is a short stroll away for tens of thousands of CBD workers like myself, who can enjoy a quick beer after work and get to the game easily.

It's the worst possible timeslot for Cows supporters, many of whom travel for 1-8 hours just to see their team play. Last night's crowd definitely wasn't good, but I don't think we can criticise the supporters for not turning up.

Shorty

Staff member
11,892. Atrocious.
Yep, should show enough how difficult it is for Nth Qld on a Monday night.
Can't blame the fans for that - Travelling from Cairns to Townsville for a Monday night game isn't exactly easy is it?
Absolutely. The Broncos are one of the only teams that it could really work for, as the Stadium is a short stroll away for tens of thousands of CBD workers like myself, who can enjoy a quick beer after work and get to the game easily.

It's the worst possible timeslot for Cows supporters, many of whom travel for 1-8 hours just to see their team play. Last night's crowd definitely wasn't good, but I don't think we can criticise the supporters for not turning up.
Exactly, it's f**king stupid and Parr already warned that the crowds would be sh*tty.
You can't expect fans of a club that go as far as the Sunshine coast area to be able to attend a Monday night match.

Broncos and the inner city Sydney teams are the only teams that would be able to make a decent attempt at crowds...even then the transport is much more difficult.

f**k that was a woeful weekend for crowds

LOL!!!!

Hahahahahaha!!

Come on boyz!

This is rugby league!

Its not premiership football, afl, nfl, NBA, American college football, The La Liga, the Bundesliga, Major League Baseball, Japanese Baseball, NHL Hockey, or even Seria A Football or the Canadian Football League (american football spinoff)....

we average under 20,000. we kinda suck.

Heres a helpful hint for you:

Get over it!

chk chk boom!

you have clubs like cronulla involved in all this sh t, for heavens sake

camsmith

Juniors
AFL now gets under 25,000 to the g and etihad more often than ever.

Thats like me picking out Canberra and Cronulla and saying look, NRL is struggling to get 10k more than ever.

In any case, so far this season on only THREE yes, THREE occasions have games at either the 'G or Etihad has had under 25,000:

Melbourne v Adelaide - 14,129
North Melbourne v Port Adelaide - 14, 342
North Melbourne v Fremantle - 15, 436

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_list

Even then, 6 NRL clubs average lower crowds than those three figures.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Why exactly are you on an NRL forum if you're only here to defend AFL? :?

bobmar28

Bench
balance?

It is a bit silly to be slating AFL crowds when ours are generally pathetic in comparison!

I was talking about Swans crowds compared to what they were a couple of years ago (about half in the case of their ANZ blockbuster recently). NRL crowds are as good or better than previous years.

_Johnsy

Referee
Yep, should show enough how difficult it is for Nth Qld on a Monday night. Can't blame the fans for that - Travelling from Cairns to Townsville for a Monday night game isn't exactly easy is it?

Is organising their life when the draw is out 4 weeks in advance too difficult ?
They get 2 monday n ight games max, 3 if they are unlucky, yet they still whinge. They get 80-90% of the requested timeslots. Are NQ the only club who have fans travelling numerous hours to attend games ?

Cop it on the chin mate.

Sam I Am

Juniors
Is organising their life when the draw is out 4 weeks in advance too difficult ?
They get 2 monday n ight games max, 3 if they are unlucky, yet they still whinge. They get 80-90% of the requested timeslots. Are NQ the only club who have fans travelling numerous hours to attend games ?

Cop it on the chin mate.

Well, I can tell you there are plenty of people in Atherton who drive down for every match (4.5 hour drive). There *may* be some people who drive that far regularly to see Sydney teams, but I doubt there are many. There are people who come from the Isa, which is about as far as Tweed Heads to Sydney. I am sure there are no fans *that* dedicated to Sydney clubs.

Red Bear

Referee
what was the crowd last night? Looked decent on tv, western side and hill mostly packed, just a bit bare near the scoreboard and the bottom of the northern stand.

14000 odd?

Eelmatta

I personally think some of the crowds in Sydney this year have been decent. Last week @ campbelltown was good in the atrocious conditions, Dragons have put on some decent crowds too, NRL just needs to give the fans want they want and stop pissing people off