What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.T facing 4 weeks

Taylor 'gutted' as charge threatens to bar him from Locky farewell

Glenn Jackson

June 28, 2011

"Gut-wrenching" ... Queensland wrecking ball Dave Taylor describes the prospect of missing Darren Lockyer's farewell match for the Maroons.

AS SEEMINGLY all of Queensland rallied around him, Maroons forward Dave Taylor said he would be ''absolutely shattered'' to miss out on the deciding State of Origin match in Brisbane.
After being charged with a grade-two dangerous throw following South Sydney's clash with Brisbane last Friday night in Perth, Taylor is facing a club ban of four weeks even if he pleads guilty. If he manages to have the charge downgraded at the NRL judiciary tomorrow night, he will still miss the final Origin at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow week due to a 70 per cent loading, which has been added for previous charges.
Taylor said it would be ''gut-wrenching'' having to watch the farewell for his former Brisbane teammate Darren Lockyer, who will play his last interstate encounter.
Advertisement: Story continues below
''I'd be absolutely shattered to miss it,'' Taylor told the Herald. ''I haven't played in a game like it: Locky's last one and a decider in Brisbane. You can't get much better than that one. He [Lockyer] is once in a generation, so it's a chance to see off a hero. … It's the game of the year and I'd see it slip away.''
While Taylor was reluctant to say anything about his tackle on Bronco Scott Anderson on Friday, he had heavyweight support from Queensland officials and legends willing to say the Maroons' interchange weapon from game two should be cleared to play in the decider.
Many claim Taylor's tackle was no worse that Newcastle winger Akuila Uate's hit on Wests Tigers centre Tim Simona, which attracted a grade-one charge before Origin II, clearing him for that match as a result of his having no loading. The only hitch with that argument is that even a grade-one charge would rub Taylor out of State of Origin III.
''I can't believe it,'' the Maroons' first Origin captain, Arthur Beetson, said. ''Ever since we've let referees run out games, these things happen. This might be a reality check. There's just no consistency. It's about time [NRL chief executive] David Gallop stopped the referees from running our game.''
Taylor missed the opening Origin encounter but was recalled for game two. If he is rubbed out, Jacob Lillyman, who played in game one, would be his likely replacement.
''I'm looking at the news to find out what's going on,'' Taylor said. ''All I know is I've been charged with a grade-two. I'll go in [today] and have a look at it. We've got until midday.''
Rabbitohs chief executive Shane Richardson was yet to confirm last night whether the club would help Taylor fight the charge tomorrow night. Either way, it pitches the match review committee against Queensland again following halfback Johnathan Thurston's acquittal last week.
Match review officials received footage from broadcaster Channel Nine yesterday that showed Anderson landing on the back of his neck, which is where they see the difference between the Uate and Taylor tackles. They believed Uate's opponent landed on his shoulder.
Taylor's charge included a 50 per cent loading due to his involvement in a similar offence in the past two years and a 20 per cent loading for a careless high tackle from last season.
Queensland coach Mal Meninga told AAP last night he was not surprised at the charge, but questioned its grading. ''It's a pretty severe grading considering his carry-over points and loading,'' he said. ''It could be very difficult to defend.''
QRL managing director Ross Livermore said: ''To me, it's a big bloke making a very good tackle. Because of the wet and because of his [Taylor's] power, he's gone up in the air.''
Elsewhere, Queensland veteran Petero Civoniceva, who could be playing his final Origin as well, revealed a heart-to-heart meeting between Meninga and the senior Queensland players in the aftermath of the game-two defeat had the squad primed for improvement.
''We just sat around as a group and dissected our performance and the areas that we fell down in,'' Civoniceva said. ''It was really positive for all of us, knowing we can improve. We're aware we're capable of our best performance of the series. I'm sure that when camp goes in, the boys will be primed to prepare really well.
''The loss in game two has been in the back of our minds. We were all disappointed after the game. In saying that, we're really positive with the improvements that we know we can make … I still don't think we've played our best football.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ky-farewell-20110627-1gnko.html#ixzz1QWQtuLus

South Sydney reportedly ready to accept Dave Taylor's suspension; Queensland want ruling challenged

• By Tyson Otto and Margie McDonald
  • News Limited newspapers
  • June 28, 2011 8:38AM

Decision time ... Queensland and Souths in a tug-of-war over what happens to Taylor. Source: Peter Wallis / News Limited

Queensland are set to be without Dave Taylor for the State of Origin decider, South Sydney reportedly set to accept a suspension after being charged with a grade two dangerous throw.

The Daily Telegraph is reporting the Rabbitohs have all but accepted Taylor will be found guilty of a dangerous throw on Brisbane Broncos prop Scott Anderson in Perth on Friday night, although the club is yet to comment publically.
Live Event Blog

Souths will announce on Tuesday if they intend to fight the NRL match review panel's five-match suspension - Taylor's punishment if found guilty - but a source close to Taylor said any challenge at the NRL judiciary will be focused solely on seeking a downgrade.

"They're philosophical enough to know it isn't going to be easy to get him off," the source told The Daily Telegraph.

"We'll look at everything tonight to see what grounds we have, but everyone thinks all we can do is get it downgraded."
South Sydney's decision not to challenge is sure to anger Queensland officials who said on Monday that they were hoping the case would go to the judiciary.
Queensland chairman of selectors Des Morris said Souths should fight the charge to give Taylor every chance of taking his place in Darren Lockyer's final State of Origin game.
"My personal opinion would be that he needs to appeal and try to get off," Morris told The Australian.
"If that happens or not is not up to me."
But Morris said he felt that even fans in NSW should be able to see the injustice given that Blues winger Akuila Uate was free to play game two despite being saddled with the same charge as Taylor. He said coaches and players on both sides of the border had agreed the contrary conduct charge that Queensland halfback Johnathan Thurston was cleared of last week was questionable.
"Surely the people in NSW can see that it's not going to look good for them if every time an Origin game comes up one of their guys gets let off and we pay the penalty," Morris said. "Common sense should prevail."
The difference between Uate and Taylor is that the Souths second-rower has two prior penalties that carry a heavy loading. He was found guilty of a dangerous throw in round 21, 2009 against Canterbury-Bankstown and a careless high tackle against St George Illawarra in round 26 last year.
Queensland is privately furious that Uate placed his hands between the legs of an opponent and received only a grade one charge.
Taylor had his arms around Anderson but received a grade two.
That has substantially increased his chances of a suspension even if he was able to appeal the charge and reduce the sentence. And Meninga is fully aware of that.
"We're obviously resigned to the fact he may miss game three," Meninga said. "That's what we're thinking at the moment. It all depends on what Souths decide to do. They'll have a look at it overnight and when they make a decision we'll make one.
"If they have a crack, we'll know by Wednesday night and that's still plenty of time."
Queensland coach Mal Meninga said he was prepared to name Taylor in the Maroons side for game three because he was an integral part of Queensland's bid to clinch its sixth series in a row.
Taylor found an unlikely ally in NSW fullback Anthony Minichiello who leapt to the defence of Dave Taylor by saying that the Maroons wrecking ball should be cleared.
"I watched the game and I thought that all of the momentum in the tackle was going that way and there wasn't anything he could have done and hopefully he does get off," Minichiello said.
"If I was in that situation, I would be devastated. I hope he gets off."
However, Match-review committee chairman Greg McCallum said he was ready to stand his ground on the tackle.
"It was a unanimous decision," McCallum said.
"There's never any consideration for what kind of games are coming up. Origins and grand finals are all just another game under the rules."
Match-review panellists McCallum, Brad Clyde and Peter Louis handed down the severe punishment because of Taylor's poor disciplinary record. He has also been pinged for a dangerous throw and a dangerous high tackle in the previous two years.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...ged-at-judiciary/story-fn31yxah-1226083237114

BunniesMan

Immortal
I could live with a downgrade and 2 weeks of, although I'd feel bad for the bloke, missing arguably one of the most important origin games ever.

Rabbitohs and Taylor to Challenge Grading of Judiciary Charge

28 Jun 2011

2011Rd16TaylorJudiciaryDetail-e5b47c34-c391-4e9c-b664-48f9a1390664.jpg
[FONT=&quot]The South Sydney Rabbitohs and second rower David Taylor will plead guilty but challenge the grading of a dangerous throw charge received from a tackle made during last Friday’s victory over the Brisbane Broncos.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Match Review Committee charged Taylor with a grade two dangerous throw yesterday, however the Club and player will challenge the grading at a judiciary hearing to be held on Wednesday evening.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Neither the Club nor player will be making any further comment prior to the judiciary hearing.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/News/Cl...to-Challenge-Grading-of-Judiciary-Charge.html

Ziggy the God

First Grade
I am happy to throw on the tin foil hat.

Watch the next time one of our guys gets dumped like that, nothing will be done by McCallum. Lets face it, that braindead wanker is suited to his sinecure role.

Latest posts