What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dave Taylor is my hero

Hutty1986

Immortal
For a bloke his size he is remarkably dexterous. He's a halfback trapped in a big man's body.....got all the skills

I think he'll fire in SOO, amongst players he respects

Playing at Souths is starting to wear away at his passion for the game.

You're right, he does have a bit of a mong look........

Ah, the great Fourex...

I'm a bit surprised we've thrown the big waste of talent a lifeline, but if anyone can get the best out of him it's Ricky. I can see Ricky achieving where Bennett failed (again - Leilua).

I'll be welcoming Taylor with open arms, unlike the Broncos fans with Benji.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
he will do nothing because he is afraid of hard work.

if he wasn't, he wouldn't be trying to score a pre-season train and trial contract with the raiders lol

DiegoNT

First Grade
Almost as common as the 'dave is training down the house' posts is the 'maybe our club/new coach can be the one to finally unlock the enigma that is Dave Taylor' despite 6 coaches at 3 nrl clubs (including 3 premiership winning coaches) have pulled their hair out over him.

Spade

Juniors
Who would Taylor replace in the 17?

I can't see any weak link but the replacement hooker.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Used to lI've watching him be nowhere to be seen if yards were hard to come by and the attacking side was coming off their own line and getting hammered. Then pick when he would suddenly appear when they have a roll on and is a retreating defence to run at.

nick87

Coach
Almost as common as the 'dave is training down the house' posts is the 'maybe our club/new coach can be the one to finally unlock the enigma that is Dave Taylor' despite 6 coaches at 3 nrl clubs (including 3 premiership winning coaches) have pulled their hair out over him.

That's fair, but he's not got a contract yet. He's trailing with the club for a deal. IF he gets a deal, it wont be big dollars and likely a year, with maybe another in the clubs favour.
He's not sitting on huge money like he has been at those clubs. So the risk/reward aspect is completely flipped. Even if Taylor "trains the house down" earns and deal and then becomes a lazy POS, he'll net himself 100-150k for this year and his career will be over. We burn barely above the league minimum.

The upside of course is that IF he does get it together, as unlikely as that is, but if he does get his head in the game. We've got one of the most damaging game breaking forwards in the game for bargain price.
That's a gamble worth taking given the small money we're talking about here

Lambretta

First Grade
I have to agree with nick87 - it's a no lose position for the Raiders
If he doesn't do the required during the pre-season - they don't need to sign him

If he gets himself sorted and then fails during the season, the money they're paying would be so low that dumping him won't matter

If he pulls his finger out and does something - then the Raiders have picked a winner

The trick with someone like Taylor is to only ever offer him a low ball one year contract with incentives built in if he is successful.

gUt

Coach
One original recipe wing for every tackle (a drumstick for a one-on-one tackle)
A Big Mac per hit up
All you can eat buffet per try or try assist

Watch his stats climb

davi

Juniors
Darren Lockyer has said in his book, in terms of natural gifts Dave Taylor is up there with Greg Inglis. The problem for Taylor has always been desire. I think he threw away an opportunity at the Titans, but I think there was more good then bad at Souths although I acknowledge he was inconsistent. Alot of people forget that at the end of his tenure with the Broncos Dave Taylor was finding form, but he been signed by Souths by the time he was coming into his own.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
One original recipe wing for every tackle (a drumstick for a one-on-one tackle)
A Big Mac per hit up
All you can eat buffet per try or try assist

Watch his stats climb

We have a “maccas power play” during the game which is 5 or 10 minute period during the game where everyone gets free maccas if we score. If we do sign Taylor you can expect to see some career best form when this happens. I swear that it was the only time FPN played well for us.