What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Kidwell

playdaball

Bench
Could Kidwell become the next Gary Kemble? By this I mean a disaster as a Kiwi coach & no love shown by players.

The way he forgot about JT leaving him on the bench was a shocker. If the Warriors had of done the same thing the coach would have got heaps ... Lolohea vs Manly.

JJ

Immortal
Let's revisit after this tour - I kind of like his openness about how he made mistakes - at least he didn't say Taumololo has some work ons

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Could Kidwell become the next Gary Kemble? By this I mean a disaster
Well I hope not. I want the Kiwis to go undefeated in this 4 nations. I want the Kiwis to grow with Kidwell - understand each other and bond. I want the Kiwis to 'get up' for the jersey, the forwards didnt seem keen last week. Whatever Kidwell instructs them, I want our team to believe in it and work beyond themselves to see it through. You HAVE to go to a higher level of performance when your in the Kiwis, there shouldnt be in any actors in the haka.

It sounds like a motivational speech but its my expectations from the tour. Kidwells not good at media conferences so Im not going to listen into his talks anymore, not that it matters. Its what he does as coach on this tour that matters as we know and watch for.

Meth

Staff member
I can forgive mistakes, especially when they are acknowledged. Taumalolo should have been on the park. Kidwell made a mistake there. Move on.

He's only had 1 game in charge.

id like kidwell and the kiwis to build on this tour with the long term goal the world cup. aussies are getting old now is the time to start making our mark

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Could Kidwell become the next Gary Kemble? By this I mean a disaster as a Kiwi coach & no love shown by players.

The way he forgot about JT leaving him on the bench was a shocker. If the Warriors had of done the same thing the coach would have got heaps ... Lolohea vs Manly.

Do you not think he didn't put him out there for more minutes because it was a nothing test? I.e it was only played so NZRL made $$$$$. No point risking him for a result that doesn't matter.....four nations matters..

Also they only lost by 28-6.....in mooks first test didn't they lose by 28-12 or something?

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Do you not think he didn't put him out there for more minutes because it was a nothing test? I.e it was only played so NZRL made $$$$$. No point risking him for a result that doesn't matter.....four nations matters..

Also they only lost by 28-6.....in mooks first test didn't they lose by 28-12 or something?
I hope you're right about this "withdrawl theory". Im unsure if your example to support your theory is a good one - the one regarding Kearney losing first up. Ive heard another poster refer to this "test match" as a nothing as well so youre not alone on this one.

Anyhow, when were us Kiwis ever quitters? I cant understand maori so is it in the haka somewhere? Taumalolo was saved at a time when we were playing catch up footy, this aligns with your theory but if saving is what Kidwells done, then its also a cop out not to have the "best player" help us to catch up and win against the BEST team.

Just so this doesnt come up - it is a nothing test compared to the bigger picture here which is the 4 nations, Im with you on that.

Last edited:

TheDMC

Bench
I can forgive mistakes, especially when they are acknowledged. Taumalolo should have been on the park. Kidwell made a mistake there. Move on.

He's only had 1 game in charge.

I can forgive mistakes too, but forgetting to bring on your best player is laughably bad. I mean, during a game how much does a coach practically have to do? Roll the subs strategically, deliver a half time motivational speech, and send down some tactical orders when necessary...not exactly onerous.

From Stuff: Asked in a post-game sideline interview about the intensity of the cliffhanger match, Kidwell replied: "It was a war of nutrition".

Haha. Seems to me that Kidwell is not the sharpest spade in the laundry cupboard.

Maybe being smart is not a prerequisite to being a successful league coach?

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
I think its safe to say that Kidwell will receive a pass mark as at worst he will finish the year with 2 wins and three losses.

He has achieved better results already than what I had thought he would achieve with the win against England (which no Kiwi team has done before in the Four Nations in England)

If we lose this weekend to Aussie then in the final to aussie, we would have lost to Australia 4 times this year...

jaseg

Juniors
Kiwi coaches will always be judged most on what they do against the Kangaroos though. If we end up 0/3 this year (under Kidwell) without at least getting close on any occasion, that's not a pass mark. That being said, no changes in the head coach role until after the World Cup.

playdaball

Bench
Interesting to look back on this post now. The kiwis did look terrible - lucky I never made it to the TAB to put a fiver on England!

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
NZRL logic - David Kidwell is safe in the job, but Poching and Justin Morgan are not. Because, you know, assistants are largely responsible for results and the head coach is merely a media fronter. Let's get rid of the guys who have the least bearing on the results but nope, the guy who actually probably picked them to be his assistants, and was the guy who picked the team/coached them, he can take us to the World Cup.

I'll be cutting the grass with scissors again late next year. No thanks World Cup.