What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Kidwell

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Not Kearney, he has a full-time job.

If a national coach has to surround himself with experienced minds, then either a) he's the wrong guy for the job or b) international league is a joke and we get half-assed coaches who get the job as career progression

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
How long do these guys need before the training wheels come off? Kidwell has been an assistant for how long, 5-6 years? Under Bellamy, Potter/Taylor etc. Now he gets a top job but says he needs a mentor? Nah. If international league is meant to be of any relevance, you only get that job if you're the top dog. If you're not, resign.

Warriors fans don't need a reminder of what the situation is when someone says they need a mentor. They're not up to it.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Not Kearney, he has a full-time job.

If a national coach has to surround himself with experienced minds, then either a) he's the wrong guy for the job or b) international league is a joke and we get half-assed coaches who get the job as career progression

How long do these guys need before the training wheels come off? Kidwell has been an assistant for how long, 5-6 years? Under Bellamy, Potter/Taylor etc. Now he gets a top job but says he needs a mentor? Nah. If international league is meant to be of any relevance, you only get that job if you're the top dog. If you're not, resign.

Warriors fans don't need a reminder of what the situation is when someone says they need a mentor. They're not up to it.

These points are all well and valid, but it's sort of bypassing the point that we just don't have the pool of coaches available to us. The fact that Kidwell was appointed is more an indictment on the lack of pathways available to coaches in NZ than anything to do with his ability. It's not like he was the underdog who was a surprise appointment ahead of a field more highly experienced rivals.

Of the 16 teams in the NRL there is one New Zealander as a head coach. And unfortunately that is the guy who held the job previously and with no small amount of success towards the end of his tenure.

If there is any way that Kearney could be persuaded to take on an advisory role at the World Cup on a short term basis, then I would be personally overjoyed. With the players who have been injured waiting to return to the team, and the progress we had made over the previous years, there is every chance we can succeed in that tournament.

The Kiwis have been my team since 1983. Number 1 passion in sport for me. Always will be number 1. The Warriors I have followed since 1995. Number 2. Always will be number 2.

Cold Roses

Juniors
i reckon iro will get a gig somewhere
other than that there is no one

Hope Iro goes full-time.

I just don't know about this guy. I would love for him to get involved and be successful at International level. But It seems that he maybe has too much of that 'old boys network' attitude towards his players and in his attitude in general? Hope I'm wrong.

It seems like Stacey Jones may be the next great hope of NZ league in the coaching ranks. He definitely has more opportunity to develop than others at the moment.

Rich102

Staff member
To be fair, I think Kidwell didn't get much time to settle into the job before he was thrown to the sharks.
He will be better for the experience.
Good enough to keep the job? Time will tell.
There has to be a better applicant though before he is replaced.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
These points are all well and valid, but it's sort of bypassing the point that we just don't have the pool of coaches available to us. The fact that Kidwell was appointed is more an indictment on the lack of pathways available to coaches in NZ than anything to do with his ability. It's not like he was the underdog who was a surprise appointment ahead of a field more highly experienced rivals.

Of the 16 teams in the NRL there is one New Zealander as a head coach. And unfortunately that is the guy who held the job previously and with no small amount of success towards the end of his tenure.

If there is any way that Kearney could be persuaded to take on an advisory role at the World Cup on a short term basis, then I would be personally overjoyed. With the players who have been injured waiting to return to the team, and the progress we had made over the previous years, there is every chance we can succeed in that tournament.

The Kiwis have been my team since 1983. Number 1 passion in sport for me. Always will be number 1. The Warriors I have followed since 1995. Number 2. Always will be number 2.

Yeah you make good points too. Does the NZ coach have to be a Kiwi, given what you're saying? To ensure relevance of the international game and success of our national side, surely not? If I look at rugby, the European sides go to NZ coaches because they're the best of the best. I know it's a different structure, but what about someone who isn't getting an NRL gig right now? Like the Walker bros? Or the guy from Penrith that Gus rated so highly (forget his name temporarily)...someone like that. Because David Kidwell, fair dinkum, he's rubbish. You can appoint him because he's all there is, but you may as well give up. I think the writing is already on the wall that we'll get torched at the World Cup unless someone better than Kidwell - ie a Bennett that Kearney had access to - comes in.

Good on you with the Kiwis too. The Warriors are my #1, Black Caps #2, daylight to the rest.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
This may be more suited as a thread of its own but since yous mentioned it, my current favourite teams or athletes to watch in my order of favour are...
  1. All Blacks
  2. Kiwis
  3. Warriors
  4. Joseph Parker
  5. Black Caps (ODI only)
  6. Silver Ferns
  7. Breakers
  8. Broncos
While it would be nice to pick a Kiwi to coach the Kiwis, we know too well that were lacking in quality coaches. Im talking coaches with top level experience and success. In knowing that, its likely the NZRFL will give Kidwell more time in the seat to develop rather than find someone else before the first 2017 test. There seems to be little oppertunity for Kiwis to coach Aussie NRL sides and for good patriotic reasons. Lets face it - hes more than likely to be at the helm come the world cup.

Hes got the culture thing going with the players so I guess thats a positive. We can chop and change to a new coach but a player backlash might see hindered performances from the players. It maybe something NZRFL would look closely at if they choose to axe him especially considering his short HORRIBLE spell. A demotion to assistant coach would probably the worst case for Kidwell.

Latest posts