What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DCE set to replace Hunt for Game III

some11

Referee
Had to happen unfortunately, with any luck QLD's kicking game will improve at least.

I don't expect DCE to be any better than Hunt under the pump though.

ram raid

Bench
What a weird selection. DCE is a 6 (albeit with a 7 on his back at club level). So they have two 6's. It would have made sense to either stick with Hunt, or give Taylor a go with an eye on the future. But playing DCE and Munster is not a long term solution and makes no sense at all. DCE is not even playing good for his club. Personally I think the selectors just thought they'd chuck him in for a game that doesn't matter to bestill speculation that they don't want him.

Bronco18

Juniors
What a weird selection. DCE is a 6 (albeit with a 7 on his back at club level). So they have two 6's. It would have made sense to either stick with Hunt, or give Taylor a go with an eye on the future. But playing DCE and Munster is not a long term solution and makes no sense at all. DCE is not even playing good for his club. Personally I think the selectors just thought they'd chuck him in for a game that doesn't matter to bestill speculation that they don't want him.

I agree in that I’m surprised they didn’t go with Taylor. If ever there was a chance to blood a rookie, it’s a dead rubber in front of a home crowd.

I THINK it’s a test for DCE - can you mesh and get along with the team on game day and this week. That’s if you buy into the whole “he’s a massive egotist and wanker” line of thought, which I’m certain has been the logic of the Maroons heirarchy.

ram raid

Bench
I agree in that I’m surprised they didn’t go with Taylor. If ever there was a chance to blood a rookie, it’s a dead rubber in front of a home crowd.

I THINK it’s a test for DCE - can you mesh and get along with the team on game day and this week. That’s if you buy into the whole “he’s a massive egotist and wanker” line of thought, which I’m certain has been the logic of the Maroons heirarchy.

Yeah it's definitely a test of sorts. I think it's a strange time to do this test though. Letting him fill in when Munster gets injured would have been more logical.

So, what happens to DCE if QLD lose game 3 and his performance is on par with Ben Hunt's origin form?

Morgan will be 7 next year unless QLD win.

Nerd

Bench
So Hunt to play a stint at hooker in game 3? How do you feel about that considering you don't rate him defensively?
I'm very worried. Hunt played quite a bit at hooker when Griffin was the Broncos coach but since moving to halfback it's like he's forgotten how to tackle. His service from dummy half can sometimes be quite good especially when he just tucks the ball under his arm and has a run but at other times it's like he doesn't want to be there and it shows. To be honest if both Morgan and Ponga weren't injured Hunt wouldn't even be in the side.

big hit!

Bench

same problem DCE has is the same problem Taylor would have......prepping with just 4 or 5 sessions against an opposition that have had their combo set since day 1 of camp.

it's the final game. if DCE makes a fist of it, good for him. he's really a stop gap, IMO. they've realised that Hunt is definitely not the general they can rely upon so have made the change there.

QLD have had a shit of a campaign with Smith pulling the pin 3 weeks out from game 1 and injuries to key players leading into matches. another 11 months before the next match and plenty can change in that time if Taylor progresses. they'll need find and develop a #9 in the next year too because all their options are good without being great, particularly for this level.

probably the right call to leave Taylor out of the shit show which has been QLD 2018 and start fresh in 2019 with Ponga at FB too.

OldPanther

Coach
I think Hunt is on the bench because of injuries and he actually has utility value. In a fit team Hunt would be 7 and DCE would be at left right out.

slamminsam246

Juniors
I think Hunt is on the bench because of injuries and he actually has utility value. In a fit team Hunt would be 7 and DCE would be at left right out.
DCE played well as a QLD utility in the past. Maybe they've simply worked out DCE is the better half? Kicking game far superior.
If Daly plays a big game like he did in his 2 GF wins, QLD should win and he'llbe halfback next series. If he is quiet or has a shocker - end of rep career, Ash Taylor in '19.
Confident he can deliver.

OldPanther

Coach
DCE played well as a QLD utility in the past. Maybe they've simply worked out DCE is the better half? Kicking game far superior.
If Daly plays a big game like he did in his 2 GF wins, QLD should win and he'llbe halfback next series. If he is quiet or has a shocker - end of rep career, Ash Taylor in '19.

He was a utility so much as just a roving playmaker. Hunt can go into 9 for a bit of attacking spark for example.

big hit!

Bench

big task for DCE given he'll be coming up against settled opposition spine and and a settled team. he has no combinations, and both edges are likely to be new too:

Oates - Chambers - Cooper - for Munster on the left vs Cleary - Frizell/Crichton - Roberts - Turbo

for DCE on the right - Kaufusi - Gagai - Holmes vs Maloney - Cordner/Sims - Mitchell - Ado Carr

he'll also have Arrow & Papalii with McGuire in the middle to lay the initial platform with Wallace, Glasby & Hess on rotation. Oates is going to have to come in to do a mountain of carries to help out. Arrow & Papalii as starting props in Origin? They're all #13s & Papalii will be lucky to last 15' in the initial stint.

it's going to be different again for QLD (and for NSW to counter) from games 1 & 2, but not necessarily better.

Hunt still has value as a utility in coming series. Protect him from the pressure of having to direct the team and call the shots which he doesn't seem to do well when required, and use his skills as a utility. DCE is merely a stop gap for Game 3 until next year when Morgan is fit & Taylor comes along. QLD need a #9 though -> desperately.

Spot On

Coach
big task for DCE given he'll be coming up against settled opposition spine and and a settled team. he has no combinations, and both edges are likely to be new too:

Oates - Chambers - Cooper - for Munster on the left vs Cleary - Frizell/Crichton - Roberts - Turbo

for DCE on the right - Kaufusi - Gagai - Holmes vs Maloney - Cordner/Sims - Mitchell - Ado Carr

he'll also have Arrow & Papalii with McGuire in the middle to lay the initial platform with Wallace, Glasby & Hess on rotation. Oates is going to have to come in to do a mountain of carries to help out. Arrow & Papalii as starting props in Origin? They're all #13s & Papalii will be lucky to last 15' in the initial stint.

it's going to be different again for QLD (and for NSW to counter) from games 1 & 2, but not necessarily better.

Hunt still has value as a utility in coming series. Protect him from the pressure of having to direct the team and call the shots which he doesn't seem to do well when required, and use his skills as a utility. DCE is merely a stop gap for Game 3 until next year when Morgan is fit & Taylor comes along. QLD need a #9 though -> desperately.

Arrow is a machine. Won't worry him.

Has it been announced which side the centres are playing on?

Woosh

Head Moderator
Arrow is a machine. Won't worry him.

Has it been announced which side the centres are playing on?

I was at Top Golf and bumped into Oates..
He’s saying he’s playing on the left outside of gagagaga

Any bold predictions? Nibble nibble