What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deal or No Deal (Alex V B-dos )

RABK

Referee
Everyone cares - your whole argument is about who cares more about what issues.

Neither Alex or bdos are wrong - but you're going around in circles.

It's like both agreeing that the sky is blue but then arguing as to what shade of blue for 4 weeks.

Alex28

Coach
he's just trying to dig upwards, B-dos... and i seriously can't be bothered throwing dirt down the hole anymore. i can't even hear when it hits the bottom anymore.
Have to admit that is much more clever than "Alex is a wanker".
:)

B-dos

Referee
"Real fans", "fairweather fans"...whatever name needs to be put to them. Your comments are very PC mate but still the fact remains once upon a time, when the team was genuine contenders, they were paying to attend in their droves.

luckily for them at the present time, when many people are struggling, tickets are cheaper thanks to our new owner

And when they are genuine contenders once again they will have to pay.

thats your prediction

He has given them what they want - now. Willing to bet me that a season ticket is still the equivalent of $5 per game today (add CPI) in 5 years time?

you can fantasise and make up all the stories you like. its hardly relevant to your 'he hasnt delivered' argument

i think we can agree you were wrong on that one and move on
The average fan doesn't care about the ATO bill because it hasn't impacted on the team on the field. There is an element that does care (you and me for starters otherwise we wouldn't be having this debate).

well i dont really care like you care alex. i enjoy a good debate and i guess my entire point is that this is a very minor issue and one that to me refelcts far more on the guys who incurred the debt than it does tinkler

There is also an element that does care about how we get from point A to point B and how we treat those who help us along the way - whether that be Directors, Creditors, Members, Fans, et al.

fair enough

so on fans he gets a tick
directors have had their tax bill paid - another tick
its only a matter of time befor the creditors are paid (which will happen far sooner than had tinks not been around) - so another tick
im pretty sure the NRL are loving the fact were on the way up too - another tick

seesm to me like everyone is happy

Alex28

Coach
so on fans he gets a tick
directors have had their tax bill paid - another tick
its only a matter of time befor the creditors are paid (which will happen far sooner than had tinks not been around) - so another tick
im pretty sure the NRL are loving the fact were on the way up too - another tick

seesm to me like everyone is happy
Not all on that list are happy mate. Don't be so naive.

Not prepared to take that bet?

B-dos

Referee
Not all on that list are happy mate. Don't be so naive.

id perhaps say the directors who wanted their tax bill paid earlier are not as happy as they'd like

the rest i stand by

Not prepared to take that bet?

lol

its a mugs bet alex. im not sure ive ever seen ticket prices increase at the exact rate of CPI

and im not sure ill even be here in 5 years time

but im pretty confident our tickets will still be substantially cheaper than the average nrl ticket

Big Tim

First Grade
actually, by virtue of Rob Tews addresses to members at various members meetings, imploring our membership that an offer like this will never come around again, it's a safe conclusion that we have not had an offer that is in the ballpark of this one, and for the forseeable future never would have.

True. It is the best offer we have had to date.

Forseeable future? How the F would he, or anyone else know that?

fair enough to say it can't be proven (that is technically the politically correct answer i suppose, but i loathe political correctness as something people hide behind in order to "not lose" a debate), but many of us have heard from several horses mouths how far and above this offer is from anything typical. it's a safe assumption that it's the best we have ever had or will get, because the board itself was telling us that it's way above the best we're ever likely to get. logically that would assert that we haven't had an offer like this before... in fact i'm pretty sure at a couple of the members meetings it was outlined that we have fielded offers before, but nothing of this magnitude.

Again, you are assuming I am saying there could have been another millionaire out there ready to step in and trump Tinkler's deal. I am saying the opposite in fact.

This game, on a whole, is going from strength to strength in terms of marketabillity.

In the coming years this game could actually become profitable. Who is to say that a rich prick wouldnt have come along and bought the club, not had the bit about "not for profit", but the game was in such a strong position that him/they actually put more $$ and resources into the club than the current HSG deal?

Alex28

Coach
id perhaps say the directors who wanted their tax bill paid earlier are not as happy as they'd like

the rest i stand by

You've completely missed some key moments in this post today that indicates that not everyone is happy with the way Tinkler is running the club.

We'll see what happens with all the glittery stuff he's introduced this year, and how long it lasts when it comes to the crunch and Tinky is putting his hand in his pocket year after year - in fact whether he will put his hand in his pocket year after year...

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
luckily for them at the present time, when many people are struggling, tickets are cheaper thanks to our new owner

Just on the ticket prices, I was in Sydney a couple weeks ago and caught the Rooters v Panthers game at the SFS. $30 f**king dollars general admission to watch that. And then the cost of beer and food. I don't mind paying to watch the game live at all but that is too expensive. There was no one there for Christ sake. You could sit nearly anywhere you liked and move a thousand times. Lacked atmosphere.

perverse

Referee
True. It is the best offer we have had to date.

Forseeable future? How the F would he, or anyone else know that?

Again, you are assuming I am saying there could have been another millionaire out there ready to step in and trump Tinkler's deal. I am saying the opposite in fact.

This game, on a whole, is going from strength to strength in terms of marketabillity.

In the coming years this game could actually become profitable. Who is to say that a rich prick wouldnt have come along and bought the club, not had the bit about "not for profit", but the game was in such a strong position that him/they actually put more $$ and resources into the club than the current HSG deal?
i don't have that much faith in Rugby League, to be honest. i think it will prosper, but even when it does - i still believe that this deal will be considered equitable well into the forseeable future. perhaps in 15 or 20 years time we will be looking back thinking geez, what a good deal that was for Tinks! i expect we'll have competed for many premierships between now and then, though. i don't know what price you put on that, really.

i respect your point, but increasing our sponsorship income by nearly 50% is massive... however he achieves it, whether it's out of his own pocket or otherwise (and power to him if he doesn't end up paying a single cent of his own money)... and doing it for the next 10 years is just ridiculous. i guess what it comes down to, going by your train of thought, is are you willing to wait for an even bigger golden ticket that may or may not happen at some time in the future (although, in my opinion has absolutely buckleys chance of happening, approaching zero percent), or do you take the one with a bit of mud on it?

i can see more clubs privatising in the future, seems an inevitability to me, but i bet it's not on the terms we managed to achieve. not this sort of long term security.

Big Tim

First Grade
i don't have that much faith in Rugby League, to be honest. i think it will prosper, but even when it does - i still believe that this deal will be considered equitable well into the forseeable future. perhaps in 15 or 20 years time we will be looking back thinking geez, what a good deal that was for Tinks! i expect we'll have competed for many premierships between now and then, though. i don't know what price you put on that, really.

i respect your point, but increasing our sponsorship income by nearly 50% is massive... however he achieves it, whether it's out of his own pocket or otherwise (and power to him if he doesn't end up paying a single cent of his own money)... and doing it for the next 10 years is just ridiculous. i guess what it comes down to, going by your train of thought, is are you willing to wait for an even bigger golden ticket that may or may not happen at some time in the future (although, in my opinion has absolutely buckleys chance of happening, approaching zero percent), or do you take the one with a bit of mud on it?

i can see more clubs privatising in the future, seems an inevitability to me, but i bet it's not on the terms we managed to achieve. not this sort of long term security.

I am glad you see what I am saying now. I support the deal we accepted, but there is no way to guarantee it will be the best ever.

in terms of privatisation in NRL, we are pioneers and set a huge benchmark for potential purchasers for other teams.

Can we get this thread back onto cars? More specifically Tinklers car?

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/teen-arrested-over-tinklers-burntout-ferrari-20110721-1hpk6.html

They've arrested someone....

Good idea!!