What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deal or No Deal (Alex V B-dos )

Deal or no deal: Knights takeover getting bogged down in the detail

BY ROBERT DILLON
25 Jun, 2011 04:00 AM
NATHAN Tinkler may need to ask the Newcastle Knights for more time to complete his takeover – a prospect outgoing club chairman Rob Tew has indicated would be unacceptable.
Tinkler’s Hunter Sports Group had been expected to formally assume ownership of the Knights by Thursday, but HSG chief executive Troy Palmer revealed last night that logistical problems might torpedo the agreed June 30 handover date.
Knights members voted overwhelmingly in favour of a Tinkler buy-out on March 31.
It was anticipated the privatisation process would take three to five weeks. Almost three months later, the club is still in a transition phase and the Knights are waiting for Tinkler’s camp to get their affairs in order.
Speaking to the Newcastle Herald on Thursday night, Tew suggested the Knights board had already shown HSG enough largesse, having extended the original handover deadline of May 31 by a month.
He said the Knights had completed their obligations and ‘‘there are no inhibitors from our end’’.
He said the onus was on HSG to uphold their end of the bargain.
‘‘What you can say is the Newcastle Knights have fulfilled all their responsibilities,’’ Tew said.
‘‘We’re now waiting for [HSG] to confirm the paperwork is completed from their end, and that the bank guarantee is in place in the form that we all agreed and that the cash is ready for completion.
‘‘It’s time for them to finish their end of the deal.
‘‘We’ve done all we can.’’
Tew said a further deadline extension would be unlikely.
‘‘This has taken a lot longer than I thought,’’ Tew said.
‘‘I thought it would have been done long before now.
‘‘The previous deadline was May 31 and now we’re coming up to the end of June ... I don’t think the board would be in a position – or should – extend it beyond June 30 given that we’ve already made a board decision to extend it from May 31.
‘‘But I don’t anticipate that [HSG] would have any problems completing it on June 30.’’
Last night, however, Palmer admitted there was no guarantee HSG would be ready to meet their obligations by that date.
‘‘We’re trying to get there, but there’s still some work to be done,’’ Palmer said. ‘‘We’re still working to get to that date, or as close as possible.
‘‘It was a date we all wanted to get to, in regards to being a nice, clean date as the end of the financial year.
‘‘But at the end of the day, we are relying on other people, like the NRL and sponsors ... some things are in our control, some are outside our control.’’
Palmer said he believed June 30 was not a deadline but ‘‘a guideline’’.
‘‘There was never any hard and fast date ... the date is a little bit fluid,’’ he said.
‘‘We’re definitely working towards the end of June, but if it’s early July, there’s not a problem at all.’’
Palmer insisted ‘‘this deal will be done, there’s not an issue in the world’’, but Tew was not so adamant.
‘‘This deal’s not completed yet, at all,’’ Tew said.
Palmer was hopeful Newcastle’s directors would be understanding if the paperwork was not finalised by Thursday.
‘‘I don’t think it will cause a big issue, but I can’t speak on behalf of the Knights’ board,’’ he said.
‘‘I suppose they have an element of risk and responsibility, as directors, so they’re obviously pushing to get it done as soon as possible.
‘‘And from my point of view I want to get it done as soon as possible, too.
‘‘But there are a lot of boxes to be ticked.’’
The Knights are still waiting for HSG to honour a number of fundamental commitments, including paying out the club’s debts, estimated to be worth $3.5million, and delivering a $20million bank guarantee.
Tew said HSG had thus far provided only a minimal cash injection, despite a spending spree that has secured master coach Wayne Bennett and star players Darius Boyd, Kade Snowden and Timana Tahu for next season.
Asked how the Knights had continued to trade and pay the wages of employees, Tew replied: ‘‘The cash flow of the club, and there has been some modest assistance [from HSG], to date. They certainly haven’t put any sums in the millions in.’’
Palmer said HSG was contractually obliged to meet all financial commitments on the day the club changed hands.
‘‘You don’t write the cheque until the day that completion occurs,’’ he said.
‘‘That’s what the assets and sale agreement states.
‘‘But the day that occurs, we’ll write a cheque in the vicinity of about $4.5million.
‘‘And we’ve already contributed some money in advance, on top of the loans that have previously been provided to the club.’’
Tew said the Knights were waiting for ‘‘three critical elements’’ for the transaction to be settled.
‘‘They need to provide certain sums into the trading entity which is the Newcastle Knights,’’ Tew said.
‘‘And they need to provide the requisite paperwork and confirmation of key contracts and the novation of the NRL licence, and the existence and form of the bank guarantee.’’

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...stigan-aiming-to-tackle-roosters/2206397.aspx

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
Interesting...I'm not sure about it being in doubt, but I have been wondering for the last few weeks why the final announcement hasn't been made. Sounds like Tew is giving them a bit of a friendly hurry up! And at the same time, its like Palmer and Tew are giving the Herald an article that they could sell some papers with, but at the same time not scare everyone too much when they say stuff like:

Tew: But I don’t anticipate that [HSG] would have any problems completing it on June 30.

Palmer said he believed June 30 was not a deadline but ‘‘a guideline’’.
‘‘There was never any hard and fast date ... the date is a little bit fluid,’’ he said.

Last edited:

Burwood

Bench
Just put the money in the bank to keep the fans happy and deal with the sponsorship contracts as soon as it is possible.

Will we see a patron's trust article on Monday?

billy2

Juniors
Tinkler is famous in the racing industry as a tardy payer.
We won't see a dollar from him till 3 minutes before the last due date.

Rod

Bench
Yeah, the headline is a tad dramatic.

After all everyone's been through in getting to where we are now surely nothing can stand in the way.

The Joker

Juniors
Such a large takeover generally always takes longer than anticipated. It's a logisitical and bureaucratic red taped nightmare. I wouldn't read into it unless it gets continuely delayed. They reckon late June to early July so if it's getting toward the end of August then something may have gone pear-shaped.

Alex28

Coach
F*** me...June 30 is not a "guideline". It is a deadline. If it is in a contract which they signed it isn't a guideline at all.

Whilst I'm not concerned that the deal will get done - let's face it...we have no real choice now - what I am concerned at is what message this sends to potential players and future sponsors coming to the club. If the club is going to be a plaything for Tinky that he might or might not fund depending on his mood and fulfilling contracts are more of a "guide" rather than obligation, if you are signing a contract with the club how sure can you be that you will get your end of the deal completed?

We have had amateur hour for the last 23 years, and it seems even with the backing of a billionaire nothing is going to change.

Nuffy

Bench
I'm surprised that HSG would be so sloppy with this, this isn't a business negotiation with a faceless corporation, this is a community organisation and theres been a large amount of goodwill shown by the people of the Hunter.

I don't believe the deal will fall over but its sh*tty optics for a professional organisation to be so flippant about execution dates. Palmer would be better to keep his trap shut and instead put a rocket under whoever needs to fire up and get this done.

Tinkler might be a tardy payer, but this is one part of his empire he can't afford to be.

The Red Afro

Juniors
Palmer insisted ‘‘this deal will be done, there’s not an issue in the world’’, but Tew was not so adamant.
‘‘This deal’s not completed yet, at all,’’ Tew said.
Must be a slow day at The Herald. Taking quotes out of context 101 (One would assume)

I guess controversy sells.

Serc

First Grade
Hmm, looks like things are getting a wee bit more serious:

Tinkler faces handover deadline
Robert Dillon
June 27, 2011

NATHAN TINKLER has four days to avoid a potentially farcical setback to his plans of owning the Newcastle Knights. As revealed in the Herald on Saturday, Tinkler's Hunter Sports Group is uncertain if it will have the necessary paperwork in order to meet the agreed June 30 handover date.
Should HSG fail to meet the deadline, outgoing Knights chairman Rob Tew said yesterday the club's board of directors would not be offering an extension. Tew said the board would have no option other than to refer the matter to members, who voted overwhelmingly on March 31 in favour of a Tinkler takeover.
If the worst-case scenario unfolds on Thursday and HSG is unable to meet obligations, members might again be asked to vote - this time on whether they should extend further goodwill and time to Tinkler. The unthinkable alternative would be that they vote to call the deal off.

Tew was steadfast yesterday in his belief that the Knights' board had shown HSG sufficient leniency, having already extended the May 31 deadline by a month to allow HSG to get its affairs in order.
The initial expectation was that the handover process would take three to five weeks. Almost three months on, the club is still in a transition phase.
HSG took charge of operations of the Knights almost immediately after the historic March 31 members' vote, and has since made a host of high-profile appointments. But it is still to meet some fundamental commitments that underpin the takeover proposal. HSG needs to have in place a $20 million bank guarantee, pay out the club's existing debts, estimated to be worth more than $3.5m, and provide key contractual and legal documents.

Tew said the Knights had ''fulfilled our responsibilities'' and left little doubt that Thursday's deadline was non-negotiable.
''As a board we've taken a unilateral decision to extend the settlement date from May 31 to June 30,'' Tew said. ''I don't think it's appropriate that we would again take that decision unilaterally. It's a decision that would need to be made by our membership, in their consideration of a representation as to why the completion couldn't be done by June 30, made to them in writing by [HSG] or a representative of theirs to that meeting.''

Tew said HSG had been given ample time to produce the paperwork.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/tinkler-faces-handover-deadline-20110626-1gltb.html

Alex28

Coach
But in all seriousness...Nathan...for god sake...get the Bank Guarantee, give the club the cash and live up to your word. This isn't one of your playthings now - this is something that people care about and it isn't just a few you are potentially letting down - this is hundreds of thousands of people.

A Bank Guarantee is not that hard to get issued. It can be as simple as putting up the cash as security and the Guarantee can be issued that day. This appears to be the most complicated thing about the deal that I can see.

I seriously can't see why this is being held up.

woodyk2

First Grade
Knights are a basket case...always have been. Tardy effort at best by Tinklers group. Wouldnt surprise me at all if it dosnt happen.