What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dear Mr. Gallop

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think he needs an offsider that can stand up in media interviews and talk up RL and talk down AFL. Gallop seems too soft and seems keen to keep everyone happy, an offsider to fire up and take the flak is what is needed.

We can't sit around until then and hope that we get a decent TV deal even though we got screwed over last time. The AFL is already going ahead with a campaign of expansion worth hundreds of millions of dollars within the next few years. By 2012 a lot will have changed.

What we need is a plan and action for rugby league until the next TV deal.

lets see if AFL gets a team on the gold coast or western sydney any time soon.

they have to play at the gabba, get a new stadium done and spend millions of dollars to get to where the titans are today.

and the swans have told the AFL there isnt enough fans in sydney for 2 teams.

its all BS.

nadera78

Juniors
One of the few things Colin Love has ever got right was selling the TV rights for the World Cup through IMG. They then have the responsibility to negotiate the best contracts with the best broadcasters, so there is none of this "News Ltd dictating what we do" bull sh*t. Then we will truly know how much people are prepared to pay for tv, internet and radio rights to NRL matches.

And SOO, and Internationals should be sold seperatly to the NRL deal.

and the swans have told the AFL there isnt enough fans in sydney for 2 teams.

its all BS.

Yeah but the Swans would say that wouldn't they? It's in their interest to be the only club in Sydney after all. A bit like the Broncos argument when it came to sharing their city.

I think we should all take the AFL threat seriously. They have more money and a friendlier press just for for starters.

Our problem is we differ on how to approach the threat and to me some of the ideas are reactive instead of proactive. I'm firmly set in the camp that pissing off Sydney teams leaves a hole for a rival to fill. I know a lot would disagree.

bulldog

Bench
ive heard the same bs the AFL have now with union after the 03 WC.

I think the AwFuL admin is a bit better than them, they have more money too. It's all about image, you won't really get a neutral view here. We're pretty much all aware that the AwFuL pays for favourable media coverage, the average bloke in the street isn't and he'll swallow whatever the media throws out there, at the moment and for a long time now it's all doom and gloom for League and sunshine and lollipops for the criminal code.

Yeah but the Swans would say that wouldn't they? It's in their interest to be the only club in Sydney after all. A bit like the Broncos argument when it came to sharing their city.

I think we should all take the AFL threat seriously. They have more money and a friendlier press just for for starters.

Our problem is we differ on how to approach the threat and to me some of the ideas are reactive instead of proactive. I'm firmly set in the camp that pissing off Sydney teams leaves a hole for a rival to fill. I know a lot would disagree.
my views exactly.

afl want to expand into sydney and we are talking of taking teams out of here.

FMD people are dumb

I think the AwFuL admin is a bit better than them, they have more money too. It's all about image, you won't really get a neutral view here. We're pretty much all aware that the AwFuL pays for favourable media coverage, the average bloke in the street isn't and he'll swallow whatever the media throws out there, at the moment and for a long time now it's all doom and gloom for League and sunshine and lollipops for the criminal code.

i agree with you but in the end of the day its AFL vs RL. their sport is awful to watch so theyll just end up blowing most of that money down the drain.

remember the $50 mill RU had after the last WC, its almost all gone.

AFL will go broke trying to convert queensland and nsw into AFL areas.

if theyd just aimed at being nieche sport with good finances theyd be more stable.

Hanscholo

Bench
See normally I weak bastard like Gallop would have a board of sharks waiting for him to slip up and they would get rid of him. What we have is a leader placed into that position by people seeking nothing other than ROI via pay TV sales. There is an imabalance in this game that will be fixed one way or another, I just wish News ltd would divest their interest in the governing body and be done with it.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The game needs a former player, someone passionate with a bit of nous, and most importantly some vision for the future and some balls to take on challenges.

Unfortunately in Rugby League, there aren't a great deal of those people left. Searle is probably the only decent option avaialable.

gregstar

Referee
has mr galloping answered yet?

or is he awaiting answers from rupert's man-down-there-parts?

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
The game needs a former player, someone passionate with a bit of nous, and most importantly some vision for the future and some balls to take on challenges.

Unfortunately in Rugby League, there aren't a great deal of those people left. Searle is probably the only decent option avaialable.

I don't see how former player is neccessary, but agreed on all counts otherwise.

St. Brett

Juniors
It only occurred to me last night that David Gallop and the NRL are slowly trying to sell the Sydney teams out.
That's what it boils down to.
They're selling us out!
Us Sydney teams have become a burden in the equation!
Gallop and co had/have this vision of expansion!
He keeps harping on about the central coast.
Oh yer, the central coast Rabbitohs.
A south Sydney team based in Gosford that'll work.
You can bet your arse that it'll be Adelaide and Perth next to follow too at the expense of Penrith or Sharks.

I heard this morning Manly merging with Parra.

You're on notice Rugby League.

See how Gallop awards himself with a nice cushy little job and fat pay check but the game is in trouble.
Perhaps those in charge should look at themselves and ask if they're part of the problem.
They're the ones pushing the panic buttons!

And I dare and not ask this question, as I'm afraid of the answer, but, are we trying to compete with the AFL?

Gallop offers Souffs 8 lousy million to go to Gosford and on the other hand AFL offered a Victorian team 100 million to go to the Gold Coast. (Which they rejected!)
So you can see how tiny we really are.
Remember The Jacksonville Jaguars laughing at the souffs team when they heard what their salary cap was? Here's the Florida based NFL team with a salary cap of 250 million making us look like knats.

Rugby League is starting to bore me with all this kind of talk.

P.S. and one more thing that's starting to bore me is this sole excuse "The government pokey tax is killing clubs."
Was this same excuse used to boot out the Bears or Steelers?
What excuse did they use back then to boot them clubs out to make way for Brisbane - we're not selling tickets to our games? No one is buying the hotdogs? Or we can't pay our electricity bills at Bear Park?
Did the pokey tax retire the bears, Steelers or Jets in the day?
What excuse did they use back then to boot those clubs out?
beer_squirrell.gif

David Gallop is slowly selling the Sydney teams out!
The Sydney teams are a burden on the comp in his eyes, people!
The NRL favours all the interstate teams and wants a wider Australian participation involved at the expense of traditional clubs.
Whose side are you on, Gallop?
Gallop's a yes man to a higher order!

"Here's the Florida based NFL team with a salary cap of 250 million making us look like knats."

errr, I've told you a million times, do not exaggerate.

Cheezel

Juniors
One of the few things Colin Love has ever got right was selling the TV rights for the World Cup through IMG. They then have the responsibility to negotiate the best contracts with the best broadcasters, so there is none of this "News Ltd dictating what we do" bull sh*t. Then we will truly know how much people are prepared to pay for tv, internet and radio rights to NRL matches.

And SOO, and Internationals should be sold seperatly to the NRL deal.

Agree......leave the negotiating to the professional's. In the last TV deal 10 and 7 did not even get a look in!

Its not hard to put the TV rights out as an open commercial tender. I could do it.

Let the commercial returns potential define the worth.