What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Defenders carrying on after a call of "held"

Jason Maher

Immortal
Something that's been bugging me for a long time is the leeway referees give tacklers to continue a tackle or remove themselves from a tackled player after a clear call of held. It seems like in most circumstances the interpretation has become "the tackle ends 3 or 4 seconds after the call of held". It particularly irks me when players are taken to ground after the call of held, yet this never seems to earn a penalty. It is little wonder gang tackling and wrestling have become a blight on the game. I notice the flop penalty has pretty much disappeared as well, which is somewhat related.

It would be such an easy fix too. The ref calls held, the defenders immediately releases the tackled player, or cop a penalty (as used to happen, go back and watch games form the 90s or earlier). At the same time enforce proper play the balls (using the foot, standing up before playing), so we don't get touch football.

Grapple

Bench
I would also like to see the use of audio headsets, obviously the small in ear ones, on all players so they can hear the refs clearly (especially over the crowd noise). They wouldn't have a mic to communicate, but would just have a clear channel to the ref so they are without excuse. If they choose to switch it off or listen to triple j during the game, they may do so but do risk being penalised.

I would also like to see the use of audio headsets, obviously the small in ear ones, on all players so they can hear the refs clearly (especially over the crowd noise). They wouldn't have a mic to communicate, but would just have a clear channel to the ref so they are without excuse. If they choose to switch it off or listen to triple j during the game, they may do so but do risk being penalised.
Nobody likes that hipster infested shit station mate

mave

Coach
Something that's been bugging me for a long time is the leeway referees give tacklers to continue a tackle or remove themselves from a tackled player after a clear call of held. It seems like in most circumstances the interpretation has become "the tackle ends 3 or 4 seconds after the call of held". It particularly irks me when players are taken to ground after the call of held, yet this never seems to earn a penalty. It is little wonder gang tackling and wrestling have become a blight on the game. I notice the flop penalty has pretty much disappeared as well, which is somewhat related.

It would be such an easy fix too. The ref calls held, the defenders immediately releases the tackled player, or cop a penalty (as used to happen, go back and watch games form the 90s or earlier). At the same time enforce proper play the balls (using the foot, standing up before playing), so we don't get touch football.

13 year old kids are coached to wait for the "held" call, count to 3, then peel off 1 by 1.

Fun times ahead.

Nerd

Bench

Also my number 1 peeve. Once held is called the tackler releases the player or rolls out of the way immediately. If they enforce this rule it will bring Melbourne back to the rest of the field and ensures a more up tempo game which is much more entertaining to watch.

Life's Good

Coach

Agreed. Unfortunately, like most things that should be reasonably easy to police it is now 'managed'. Adds to the ruck being a sh*t fight.
Refs need to blow the whistle and penalise. I don't care that you may end up with a hundred penalties in a game because eventually the message will get out.

Spot On

Coach
Refs could clean up the ruck and all that goes on in tackles - but for some reason it won't happen.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Sure they do it, so does every other team in the comp tho. So there's no need to single Melbourne out for doing the exact same thing as every other team
They started doing it, it's very effective so every other team follows suit.

It's bad for the game. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant.

The_Shield

Juniors
They started doing it, it's very effective so every other team follows suit.

It's bad for the game. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant.
It's been going on since long before Melbourne even entered the comp. I was taught to do it as a kid. Don't blame it on the Storm just cause you don't like them

M2D2

Bench
The wrestle that Melbourne implemented, is NOT the same thing as not letting go for the 3-4 seconds after the tackle.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
It's been going on since long before Melbourne even entered the comp. I was taught to do it as a kid. Don't blame it on the Storm just cause you don't like them
I'm not blaming it solely on them, and I admire their success, if not some of the methods they use to get it.

I am saying they have been major proponent of the slow play the ball, either through the wrestling or the slow peel off of players. This truth clearly touches a nerve in you.

The_Shield

Juniors
I'm not blaming it solely on them, and I admire their success, if not some of the methods they use to get it.

I am saying they have been major proponent of the slow play the ball, either through the wrestling or the slow peel off of players. This truth clearly touches a nerve in you.
Your not blaming it solely on them? I haven't seen you single out anybody else but them.

Now I'm not having a go at you senses, your entitled to your opinion as is everyone else.

And yes it does touch a nerve. Mainly because I feel it's unfair that Melbourne cop all the blame for everything bad with the game. Melbourne didn't bring wrestling into the game (the Broncos did). Melbourne wasn't the first at giving penalties on their try line (the Roosters did). Melbourne didn't bring in the slow peel off ( that's been around forever). But never the less everybody blames it all on Melbourne. Now yes Melbourne have used all these, I won't deny that, but Melbourne did not bring these things into the game. That's what I've got a problem with everyone saying