What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Defenders carrying on after a call of "held"

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
Good topic this. Carrying on a tackle after being called held is getting ridiculous. Other issues are tackled players walking way off the mark (starting to get picked up on thankfully), tacklers staying in the PTB area and making no attempt to get out of the way, and my personal bugbear the absolutely awful look of tacklers lying on top of the attacking player looking at the ref and waiting for him to make them get off.

IMO a little bit more speed at the PTB wouldn't be a bad thing, and could be offset by making players try to PTB correctly. My son likes to watch old GFs, and the 90s ones seem a lot faster just because players jumped off the attacking player as soon as the tackle was made. There was more dummy half scooting, but also the defensive lines themselves were less well set.

Isn't what the Storm does more about keeping attacking players upright and even letting them move forward to delay the ref even calling held and letting the defence get set?

LineBall

Juniors
What about the tackled player also stopping when held is called , 90% of the time they are still pushing forward encouraging the defender to stay committed to the tackle , or even crawling on the ground while the tackler tries to get off but gets all tangled up.
Between held and actually stopping can be 3-4 metres at times

Agree totally. It goes both ways. Hard for a defender to just release a player who is continuing to move forward and not submit in the tackle. Having said that - this tends to be more of an issue for one on one leg tackles. Saw the replay of the Sharks and Roosters game. I'm no Gallen fan, but I thought he was hard done by.

That was a clear cut penalty for mine, but the problem is the inconsistency with which it is called.

Yep. Had Gallen released Cordner it would not have been a penalty. He may not have pulled Cordner after "held" was called, but he certainly had not released him.

Reactions: Vee