What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Derby / Oaks

Macca_

Coach
What you guys like in these 2 races?

I like Headturner and Cayambe at this stage. Will be a lot clearer after today and Saturday.

I like to see the Thousand Guineas and go for the 3rd or 4th horse that gets home for the Oaks. The Derby, I will take something from the AAMI Vase on Cox Plate Day

Macca_

Coach
Yeah kinda same here.

I put Cayambe in for 4th or 5th today so taking the punt at the 13/1 fixed today. She runs a good one, she'll be single figure odds.

off topic for this race... EltonJon, how's it's Sydney form of late?

Looks like it's been going good. That was an easy $6.70 winner!!

Macca_

Coach
Well that was interesting... Cayambe leading... She kicked on ok but never really settled. Riden cold in an Oaks I still rate her a chance. Better odds to now :D

RE: EltonJon. Boss was suspended for 7 meetings for the ride.

Tim Brasher

Juniors
AAMI Vase and Normin Robinson are both valuable races to watch in terms of the Derby and Oaks. In the Derby, I still like Manton, and as for the Oaks I like a couple Mary Marvel, Serenade Rose, Rewaaya and Assertive Choice ran a slashing Oaks trial today

Nuffs

Bench
well i may be backing assertive choice in the oaks. was backed in from $101 to $41 and ran 4th. i was going to go a little bit e/w when i saw her odds getting slashed every few minutes

and i like headturner but not sure if he'll go that far. i'll be backing him this weekend. (i'm pretty sure i saw he was running)

Macca_

Coach
Headturner was nominated. Final fields with form should be out soon at racenet...

Macca_

Coach
Anyone get the 8/1 re Headturner for the Derby before Saturdays run? Going to be a top race.

Foz

Bench
Hawkes was going to spell Headturner.
Did he change his mind?

Looks a top liner in the making.

Nuffs

Bench
give me an "A"
give me a "S"
"T"
"R"
"O"
"N"
"O"
"M"
"I"
"A"

what does it spell?

OAKS!!!!

my mate asked me for a tip on the weekend and I said Astronomia will win if it crosses easily. well it crossed a bit harder than i liked but the way it went bang after the turn showed me that the 2500m wont worry her at all. a shame she'll be paying $1.50

Foz

Bench
Nuffs said:
give me an "A"
give me a "S"
"T"
"R"
"O"
"N"
"O"
"M"
"I"
"A"

what does it spell?

OAKS!!!!

my mate asked me for a tip on the weekend and I said Astronomia will win if it crosses easily. well it crossed a bit harder than i liked but the way it went bang after the turn showed me that the 2500m wont worry her at all. a shame she'll be paying $1.50

$4.25 on fixed odds Nuffs.
That Headturner must be running in the Derby as its come up at $4.00.
Hawkes said he was going for a spell but his mate (owner of Headturner and Railings) must of talked him into running it.
Havent heard anything to say he's definately running though.
He'll carry mine if he does run.

Macca_

Coach
Foz, I hope you heard wrong :D

nuffs, she won't start that short. It was a top run and she will be one of the favs, but she beat a bunch of maidens on Saturday. Hope you got some of the good odds before the race though. She's one of the big chances. (Oaks is 2400m btw :D)

Macca_ said:
Foz, I hope you heard wrong :D

nuffs, she won't start that short. It was a top run and she will be one of the favs, but she beat a bunch of maidens on Saturday. Hope you got some of the good odds before the race though. She's one of the big chances. (Oaks is 2400m btw :D)

When did they change the length of the race?? It's always been 2500, the same as the Derby

Nuffs

Bench
that's what i thought

2500m in the victoria derby and oaks

2400m every other oaks and derby

and at $4.25 it's getting some of my money at lunchtime. and no-one even mention the trainer's curse. I SAID DON'T!!!

Nuffs

Bench
every oaks and derby in Aust is 2400 except for these 2

my mate thinks it has to do with the flemington course, meaning that the 2400m start would be too close to the first turn. this could cause major incidents

he could be right

Foz

Bench
Nuffs said:
every oaks and derby in Aust is 2400 except for these 2

my mate thinks it has to do with the flemington course, meaning that the 2400m start would be too close to the first turn. this could cause major incidents

he could be right

Yep.He's right.