What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Derby / Oaks

Moffo

Referee
Nuffs said:
give me an "A"
give me a "S"
"T"
"R"
"O"
"N"
"O"
"M"
"I"
"A"

what does it spell?

OAKS!!!!

my mate asked me for a tip on the weekend and I said Astronomia will win if it crosses easily. well it crossed a bit harder than i liked but the way it went bang after the turn showed me that the 2500m wont worry her at all. a shame she'll be paying $1.50

Mate no chance!

Tim Brasher

Juniors
I think youre on the money Nuffs.. Showed good accelaration and should get the trip...I still think Mary Marvel and Assertive Guest will be right with her though

Nuffs

Bench
i want to see assertive guest in a 2000m race before i decide on her

anything backed from $101 to $41 and to finish 4th in a group 1 is worth a look

so i'll be watching her in the wakeful on derby day and that'll give me a better look

Macca_

Coach
:lol:

Headturner now $3.75. Go the 8's.

Actually I noticed most came in, and a number were added to the eliminated list. So that would be reason for changes. Not really a betting move for any particular runner.

Macca_

Coach
Nuffs said:
astronomia in to $3.50. the TAB have noted my plunge :lol:
Actually you'd probably want to see Gallant Guru put tht field away tomorrow at Geelong (I mentioned in other thread). He beat Holly Go Lightly (just) last start. She ran second by around 3 to your filly on Saturday. Not much depth and he should get them. If not you'd have to question the Holly Go Lightly form and the 3 length margin.

Freak

Juniors
Headturner was impressive on the weekend but not sure if Hawkes had always had the Derby in mind and therefore I won't be rushing in for the short price!!

I would be happy with your 8's Macca but I might move towards Manton and before this weekend as well.

My old man has been saying Manton will win the Derby for over a month now and he is usually pretty good with these things!!

Freak

Juniors
On a seperate note.......................

Who here believes the Derby is too long at 2500.

These horses have only just turned 3 and to race them over this distance early in their career can be detrimental to their overall career, leaving Australian staying quality below standard and opening the door for the internationals to come grab the Cash when it is on offer.

I know history will tell us it isn't a problem and this is the way it has been done for years, but I'm all for a reduction in distance down to 2000 for all derbys.

Better quality fields and less risk for all!!

Nuffs

Bench
yeah unfortuantely the derby is just too tempting for some breeding types (savabeel being great example). if savabeel is put to the paddock after winning the cox, i dare say it would have come back a great australian cup chance

and i like manton in the derby, although i do think that headturner look real good and just hope hawkes keeps him ticking over

Macca_

Coach
Agree, for the fillies to it's to long as a 3 year old. So many of them don't follow up as 4 year olds after the Derby/Oaks campaigns as 3 year olds.

I have to look back, but I have backed the winner of the derby for the past 5-7 years. :D not wanting to brag, but I have forgotten how long :lol:

Macca_

Coach
PLASTERED, ELVSTROEM, HELENUS, AMALFI, HIT THE ROOF, BLACKFRIARS, ARENA.

So 7 in a row :D

Looks like I have been protecting my record in recent years with some favourites :lol:.

Not jumping off Headturner at this stage. And at 8/1 could it be 8 in a row...

Freak

Juniors
It helps backing every horse in the field!!:p

I'm glad you posted those previous winners!!

Only big Elvis has gone on to do anything.

Plastered now seems like he is set for the inevitable injury prone career!!

I would also love to see the breeding from those winners.

My bet is that they were all well bred horses.

Macca_

Coach
Freak said:
It helps backing every horse in the field!!:p
No, no :D. It's a record I am proud of.

I normally don't jump on one till around this time of the carnival like I have with Headturner. Recent ones anyway. Before Fixed Odds came in they were bets on the day and I only back 1 in the race :D