What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diablo III

Misanthrope

Staff member
The watered down skill system ruined it for me. Pretty sure they did a similar thing to WoW, although I haven't played it since they did. Apparently skill trees are too complicated for the dullards that play games these days.

The dumbed down skill trees in WoW aren't as bad as I feared they would be. There's still enough distinctive skills, but I do miss having something to look forward to every two levels. Now it's every 15.

redvscotty

First Grade
Only got the new Xpac of this last night.... In short, it rules.

Back on my Barbarian (only level 42) and carving up Expert.

Tried a Crusader on Master and got annihilated on the first gold mob haha.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I really should give this a burl. Paid to buy the fancy edition, installed it, and haven't even contemplated signing in yet.

I blame ESO.

Tommax25

Bench
Yeah, but I mean WoW solved that issue yeaaaars ago by allowing you to pay a small-moderate fee of in-game currency to respec your character. There's no advantage I can see at all to a watered down skill system except that shitter players (and, as a result, more players) can grasp it.

It probably helps them make it for console, too. Bleh.

They made the game all about the gear (the only distinguishing feature between characters) so that it would fuel auction house activity, ergo making Blizzard even more money. It's surprising to me that they are bowing to pressure and removing the AH from the expansion. I guess they've either made enough, or are willing to except that it's a large part of what is destroying their game.

It's the second, coupled with the knowledge that a crap load of people would steer clear of any Diablo 4 if it stayed the same. My friend and I walked away and never once looked back until the AH was gone. As you say, the game was not designed for the players enjoyment but to maximise the money Blizzard would make off it. That is a slap in the face to diehard fans like my friend and I, and is completely against the spirit of what Diablo was supposed to be. Once we got to the point where we'd either have to start pumping in our own money or spending hours gold farming just to stay afloat we gave it up. The fact that drop rates were tweaked to force people onto the AH was the most galling.

Coming back now the game is 100x more fun. It feels like Diablo again. Good loot, loot actually drops etc. They needed to do this. They threw away a lot of goodwill with that move. I, for one, was not going to buy any expansion or sequel if it stayed like this. Honestly, what were they thinking? Rhetorical, as they were thinking of money, but you understand what I mean. Lunacy.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I might have to check this out with all of the new changes. My brother has been a Diablo nut since the start, as was I, but I could never get into D3. He's been raving about it ever since the update.

redvscotty

First Grade
Finished the Reaper of Souls Campaign last night on my Barb so I could unlock the other goodies.

Good end boss, loved it all the way to the end.

I'm going to put some headphones on and play through the story properly in the near to medium future but for now I'm trying to get the Barb up to 70 and beyond. Currenty at 49 after the storyline.

Agree with the above posts about it being a pain in the arse with the AH. Once they removed it, it's benn unreal.

Even just the music and ambience of it. Feel like I'm about to be raped at every turn. Loving it.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Finished the Reaper of Souls Campaign last night on my Barb so I could unlock the other goodies.

Good end boss, loved it all the way to the end.

I'm going to put some headphones on and play through the story properly in the near to medium future but for now I'm trying to get the Barb up to 70 and beyond. Currenty at 49 after the storyline.

Agree with the above posts about it being a pain in the arse with the AH. Once they removed it, it's benn unreal.

Even just the music and ambience of it. Feel like I'm about to be raped at every turn. Loving it.

I hear the Blizzard developers spent a lot of time in Western Sydney to really capture this emotion.

afinalsin666

First Grade
So much better with all the changes. And you can check a box in the options called elective mode, which let's you actually select different skills and try different builds. Completely changes the game.

Running my witch doctor on Master, think i'm about ready to up it to Torment.

The loot is dropping fast and plentiful as well. In vanilla i found nothing that added to my AH stuff, and if i didn't buy from the AH i was left behind.

So its actually worth coming back? I've never been so disappointed in a game, played Diablo 1 and 2 for a ridiculous amount of hours.

afinalsin666

First Grade
I'm loving it at the moment. I was disappointed with the original as well, this one is really good. You just need to make sure you put on elective mode.

They really did fix it. The new end game stuff is pretty fun as well. The original end game was just play the thing again, which was boring.

Misanthrope

Staff member
My brothers have been raving about the changes they've made to the game. Might be time to revisit it.

Dragon

Coach
Been playing a heap of hardcore, the changes are good Mis you should give it another crack. Ladders are coming soon also

timka4

Bench
Thinking of getting it when I eventually get a ps4. D2 was awesome and I heard it's like D2 now compared to release

timka4

Bench
Brought it today with the expansion. Rolled a Crusader, loving every minute of it. D3 still managed to smash alot of other sky view RPGs from the years between D2-D3

Dr Gonzo

Juniors
Love Diablo 3. I have it on PC. Man some of the early areas are f**king tough... especially when you have only one life

Those god damn frog things!

Dr Gonzo

Juniors
What difficulty? And im presuming hardcore mode?

yeah mate... playing on Xbox. I always get stuck at the part just past the village basement with the guys monster wife. The big trees and the frogs f**k me up and then i have to start over. One hit kills and my rolling isnt good enough or i get side tracked and chase the goblin to get his treasures. I usually have a weapon that heals me as I use it but the health potions usually run out pretty fast

timka4

Bench
Yeah hardcore mode is fun but it gets annoying after a while lol. Im only at act 3 on my first character. Act 3 seems alot like battle for Minas Tirith from 3rd LOTR movie lol

Dragon

Coach
Bump

Just started playing again, haven't played since the expac came out. Seasons are cool and the new patch brings back the horadric cube which is sweet and theres also some nice quality of life changes. Worth checking out imo

Misanthrope

Staff member
I might give it another whirl with the new patch. Rumours swirling around about a second expansion, which would certainly reinvigorate things. RoS turned an ordinary game into a great one.

Latest posts