What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

do the dragons deserve their finals position?

Jason Maher

Immortal
I wonder does the OP have the same misgivings about the prospect of the Warriors surviving?

I will admit this much - we were far more deserving of surviving in 2004 than we are this year. Swings and roundabouts.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I wonder does the OP have the same misgivings about the prospect of the Warriors surviving?

I will admit this much - we were far more deserving of surviving in 2004 than we are this year. Swings and roundabouts.

True Dat!

We. Live. Again.

And we're in the same boat as everyone else from now on in. Sudden death.

Snappy

Coach
And we're in the same boat as everyone else from now on in. Sudden death.

And thats where the system sucks balls. Broncos play dragons next week.

Dragons come 5th and lose their first final.

Broncos come 3rd and win their first final.

But then its suden death for both teams in week two. Doesnt make sense.

KiamaSaint

Coach

No it doesn't, although the Broncos get another home final.

There is a chance Knights might upset the Storm and then there is a huge advantage - a week off.

Oh and yeah, it sux but Dragon fans are well aware of the shortcommings of the system, we have experienced them enough over the years.

Jason Maher

Immortal

I don't know if it's possible for the McIntyre system to avoid such stupidity, no matter what happens in the first week.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach

As Jason Maher said, swings and roundabouts. We finished MP in 09 and Bronscos 6th. We got beat in week 1 by a red hot Parra and Broncs only had to travel to the Gold Coast against the Titans.

we lost, Broncs won and they got a home final.

No doubt its a laughable system. In fact, it defies belief that they persist with it, but, as we all know, the game has always been administered by clowns. The AFL system, OUR ORIGINAL TOP 8 SYSTEM is so much fairer and rewards consistency throughout the year.

Anyway. It was what it is, regardless of the logic (or total lack thereof)

sting

Bench
of course the players have to play according to the rules but as a fan I would like to see some modifications which ensures a team is in a final because they have taken control of their own destiny and efforts, not because of luck that another team has lost a match along the way.

we set up our own destiny by winning enough games in the season to give ourselves a potential second chance you idiot.

? Broncos get home ground advantage, is that not enough?

Do you want second chances every week for the finals? They'd never end!

KiamaSaint

Coach

What would be more ridiculous is the scenario Newcastle win tomorrow. They would play the Dragons (Newcastle or Sydney, someone help me out???) and the Tigers would face the Storm having beaten the Dragons - yeah like that makes sense.

Ulysseus

Bench
As for "do we deserve our finals position?".
OP, I will refer you to the complete shit dished up by the warriors and nth QLD.

Thank you and get f**ked.
There was always a class divide between teams 1 to 5 and 6 to 8.
The only thing that made it close was Saints late season brain fart, and this was evidenced in the tigers and saints having a close game (albeit a f**king woeful second 40 by saints) and the cows (more so) + warriors dishing up pure shit, at least the cows stayed in the f**king game for a while, the warriors display was absolutely f**king woeful.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
the dragons are the only losing team in the finals this yr not to lose by 5 or more converted tries..

If they don't deserve their spot, the nrl needs to move to a final 4 system instead.

Slackboy72

Coach
I'm outraged we even have a finals series.
We should just give the premiership to the tigers... no, we should just give the premiership to Benji Marshall.
He's the only reason we watch rugby league for. I know cause Phil Gould said so.

STG-Dragon

Juniors
We should just give the premiership to the tigers... no, we should just give the premiership to Benji Marshall.
He's the only reason we watch rugby league for. I know cause Phil Gould said so.

:clap:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

benji marshall - the only man in the comp who can turn a knock on into a drop kick..

carcharias

Immortal
f**k there are some touchy teenage dragons fans in here.

I will correct it...4 from 13 = a NO from me.

dunno why my comment would be so hard to take.

do they deserve another chance after only winning 4 from the last 13 games and one of those loses was a final...no way.
if they were 1st or 2nd yeah...but they weren't even in the top 4 .

jeremy and Nev are free this weekend...maybe the dragons can do another Gaz type deal ey?

Hutty1986

Immortal
f**k there are some touchy teenage dragons fans in here.

I will correct it...4 from 13 = a NO from me.

dunno why my comment would be so hard to take.

do they deserve another chance after only winning 4 from the last 13 games and one of those loses was a final...no way.
if they were 1st or 2nd yeah...but they weren't even in the top 4 .

jeremy and Nev are free this weekend...maybe the dragons can do another Gaz type deal ey?

How is 4/13 even remotely relevant when we ended up finishing in 5th? It just shows what a consistent first half of the season we had. hard to comprehend, but you'll get there eventually carch

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I think the only teams which should be allowed to loss 1 match in the finals are teams in the top 4, if the dragons are allowed to play again then the system shows that teams who perform terrible can still continue to play finals football and how can that be a good thing? I think when it comes to finals footy teams outside the top 4 should have to win everymatch in a row to win the premiership.

Think about how dominant the tigers were in the second half, they were all over the dragons and deserve to continue in the finals because they were directly responsible for their good result

on the flip side...

because of results which the dragons are not responsible for they can still play a part in the finals even after a poor performance, in other words they played poorly but can still continue based on just luck and chance not based on their own redemption.

Tigers are allowed to continue in the finals based on their own effort and redemption in the second half, but the dragons can continue now regardless of their intentions.

I know there is an arguement to be made either way but I would like to see only top quality matches being played in the finals and if the dragons are limping into another match off the back of a loss and are just there based on luck and other results can they justify being so deep into the tournament?

Imagine the dragons playing another finals match off the back of a loss and going up againts a team who has thrashed their previous opponent ,can fans then anticipate a closely contested match up?, shouldnt winners be harder to pick the deeper you go into the finals?
You mention the dragons as the key focus of this post, yet the warriors who finished 6th below the Dragons got flogged by 30 points and yet no mention of them....

I wonder why that is?