What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dollars Could Cost Dragons This Prop

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Leeson needs to be priority number 1 right now, but I fear that we may be outbid. Desperate clubs will be looking to bolster their packs for next season and we might lose out to a 4 year deal offer from another club.

If we lose Leeson under those circumstances, i'll be pissed but I can understand completely that he'll be looking to set himself up for the future. However, i'm worried this forum will go into meltdown and we'll be back onto the Millward hate train.
Yes- Ben Hunt is a huge upgrade on McCrone but he's not worth $1.2mill and definitely not worth 1/2 million more than Gareth- He probably would have come to SGI for a million and there's the problem we have- Millward blinked and now we might lose Ah Mau

Crush

Coach
Yes- Ben Hunt is a huge upgrade on McCrone but he's not worth $1.2mill and definitely not worth 1/2 million more than Gareth- He probably would have come to SGI for a million and there's the problem we have- Millward blinked and now we might lose Ah Mau
We needed to pay overs to get Hunt to Dragons and I for one am so happy we did. Hunt is worth every cent for the way he allows Widdop to play. We have gone from having a shit halfback and a stressed out 5/8 captain to a world class halfback and a 5/8 who is currently the best player in the comp.
If we lose LAM because of getting Hunt as you say then I say its well and truly worth it!

BennyV

Referee
Should we let Luc go of it means keep LAM ?
Yes.

But TBH it shouldn’t come to that. In reality, he is effectively the same role as a starting prop and should be paid as such. With Graham ageing, he will likely be starting next year anyway and easily has 3 years in top form before he starts to slide.

MilanDragon

Juniors
Another one lost because of Nightingale...

A post just to bag Nighty.. poor form.

Nighty would be under a salary cap exemption (at least partly).

LAM’s re-signing or departure really depends on if other teams are willing to pay him as a starting prop or not.

nrlnrl

First Grade
He's running twice as hard this year. Why the difference between Ah Mau in 2017 & 2018? he's off contract this year. Good luck to him, but sounds like the club will only offer a maximum of 3 years when he might want 4.

Frank Facer

First Grade
None of us know exactly what either Hunt or Widdop are on. Millward did say that the media exaggerated Hunt's contract. While we don't know what Widdop resigned for. We may have also got ourselves 2 bargain buys in Hunt and Widdop. Quality halves are at a premium price and in great demand. We now have 2 great halves who are signed up till 21 and 22 on fixed contracts. I always say that you build your team around a good pair of halves.

I thought that we still have 600K or more to spend on this year's salary cap.

Millward has been doing a magnificent job.

Hunt is one of if not the most important signing that we have made in the last 37 years or more.

Last edited:

Morotti

Juniors
You also have to think about the types of players we have signed long term.

Our spine is locked up for a few years and they generally cost you the most

Dufty - Until 2019 (he will need an upgrade if he keeps playing this way)

Widdop - Until 2021 and I wonder if he will play on after that as he will be 33 I believe.

Hunt - Until 2023 I believe.

McInnes - Until 2021

PLus players like Frizell, Vaughan, Graham, de Belin, Lafai and Leilua are all signed up for the next few years.

Sims and Sele are either end of this year or next year so could be looking for an upgrade also.

So you would think that other than an outside back or two, tend to think we are sorted for a squad for the moment.

Nighty is a 10 year player so he would get most of the exemption as I don't believe we have any other players that qualify.

I would not expect we can compete on price but I would think a decent three year deal would be good. Although I wonder as LAM will be 29 at the end of this year so he may look for 4 years. I would not put down a 4 year deal but at the same time these next couple of years will be his best. ticked over 150 games and at that good age for a prop.

POint of figuring out when others are off contract is they will likely look for a big upgrade if they are still playing well with the club. So have to balance that possibilty. But if most are tied up then there is not going to be any other marquee signings for us.

Oh to be a fly on the wall to see how we go about our salary cap. Would be interesting.

Throw whatever money is left at LAM.
if he accepts he accepts, if he dosnt he dosnt, I would love him to stay.
But either way sort it out quickly so we can plan on replacements, giving Kerr, Lawrie more game time and experience for next year.

Bench
Money is always going to trump loyalty. I don't blame players chasing the money especially when it's their last contract.
If he stays he stays and I hope he does.

getsmarty

Immortal
Barry Toohey column: Dragons prop Ah Mau in the sights of the Newcastle Knights
  • Local Sport
    After being beaten up in the forwards by a physical St George Illawarra on Easter Sunday in Wollongong, it is no surprise the Knights’ hunt for frontrow re-inforcements for next season is a priority.

The club has already confirmed they have made inquires about enticing young tearaway Brisbane Broncos prop Tevita Pangai Jnr back to Newcastle.

r0_29_4339_2767_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Leeson Ah Mau after scoring against the Knights last Sunday.

But his $600,000 plus a season asking price is apparently not something the Knights will seriously entertain.

The likes of Shannon Boyd and Josh Papalii are off contract at the Canberra Raiders while Bulldogs prop Aiden Tolman was shopped to the club earlier this season.

But the word is the player high on the club’s wish-list is Dragons prop Leeson Ah Mau, who left a handful of would-be Knights defenders in his wake in scoring a powerhouse second half try last weekend.

This column understands the 28-year-old Samoan international has already been in town for talks with club officials and a look around the city, a prerequisite for any potential new recruit.

Ah Mau has loads of experience.

He made his NRL debut for the Warriors back in 2009 as a 19 year old, has played 158 games in the top grade and has spent the past seven seasons at the Dragons.

Despite his longevity, the thought is he is only just peaking as a player and his stats this season would seem to back that up.

Despite playing less than 40 minutes on average off the bench, he is coming on and making a huge impact, averaging around 135 metres a game.

In the Knights’ favour is the Dragons have plenty of high-priced forwards on their roster and will struggle to come up with a deal to keep him.

Pangai threat no surprise to Fitzy
    He is rated the NRL’s hottest young frontrower but the rise of Tevita Pangai Jnr at the Broncos has come as no surprise to Knights backrower Lachlan Fitzgibbon.

Pangi is a Newcastle Knights junior who the club desperately wanted to keep.

But he slipped out of the system after his family left Newcastle and moved to Canberra when he was still a teenager.

r0_107_2179_1332_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Broncos prop Tevita Pangai Jnr

Fitzy clearly remembers playing alongside Pangai in South Newcastle juniors in an Under 17 grandfinal several years ago.

“Tevita and Sione [Mata’utia] were both 15, playing two years up in the Under 17’s, and still killing it despite the age difference,”he said.

“We had a good side and I think we won the grandfinal something like 42-0.”

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/5328445/tooheys-news/

dungay dragon

Juniors
Barry Toohey column: Dragons prop Ah Mau in the sights of the Newcastle Knights
  • Local Sport
    After being beaten up in the forwards by a physical St George Illawarra on Easter Sunday in Wollongong, it is no surprise the Knights’ hunt for frontrow re-inforcements for next season is a priority.

The club has already confirmed they have made inquires about enticing young tearaway Brisbane Broncos prop Tevita Pangai Jnr back to Newcastle.

r0_29_4339_2767_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Leeson Ah Mau after scoring against the Knights last Sunday.

But his $600,000 plus a season asking price is apparently not something the Knights will seriously entertain.

The likes of Shannon Boyd and Josh Papalii are off contract at the Canberra Raiders while Bulldogs prop Aiden Tolman was shopped to the club earlier this season.

But the word is the player high on the club’s wish-list is Dragons prop Leeson Ah Mau, who left a handful of would-be Knights defenders in his wake in scoring a powerhouse second half try last weekend.

This column understands the 28-year-old Samoan international has already been in town for talks with club officials and a look around the city, a prerequisite for any potential new recruit.

Ah Mau has loads of experience.

He made his NRL debut for the Warriors back in 2009 as a 19 year old, has played 158 games in the top grade and has spent the past seven seasons at the Dragons.

Despite his longevity, the thought is he is only just peaking as a player and his stats this season would seem to back that up.

Despite playing less than 40 minutes on average off the bench, he is coming on and making a huge impact, averaging around 135 metres a game.

In the Knights’ favour is the Dragons have plenty of high-priced forwards on their roster and will struggle to come up with a deal to keep him.

Pangai threat no surprise to Fitzy
    He is rated the NRL’s hottest young frontrower but the rise of Tevita Pangai Jnr at the Broncos has come as no surprise to Knights backrower Lachlan Fitzgibbon.

Pangi is a Newcastle Knights junior who the club desperately wanted to keep.

But he slipped out of the system after his family left Newcastle and moved to Canberra when he was still a teenager.

r0_107_2179_1332_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Broncos prop Tevita Pangai Jnr

Fitzy clearly remembers playing alongside Pangai in South Newcastle juniors in an Under 17 grandfinal several years ago.

“Tevita and Sione [Mata’utia] were both 15, playing two years up in the Under 17’s, and still killing it despite the age difference,”he said.

“We had a good side and I think we won the grandfinal something like 42-0.”

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/5328445/tooheys-news/
Taking a line thru the now famous Dugan negotiations , ie centre money v fullback money , i doubt they are going to pay overs for , with respect , what they may regard as an inter change player..
Some interesting points that maybe raised in considerations
1 Is LAM worth more than say several of our promising juniors ? ie Lawrie Host Kerr Leilua etc etc
2 Is there better value in chasing Korbin Sims , RC Gillard or Gillett ??
3 Do you go into a bidding war with the Knights which could get ridiculous as the Knights are desperate to snare name players and pay overs ??
LAM has been most consistent over the past few seasons and surely deserves a pay rise but where do you draw the line . Is he a $250/300k player ? possibly but no more...

BennyV

Referee
Taking a line thru the now famous Dugan negotiations , ie centre money v fullback money , i doubt they are going to pay overs for , with respect , what they may regard as an inter change player..
Some interesting points that maybe raised in considerations
1 Is LAM worth more than say several of our promising juniors ? ie Lawrie Host Kerr Leilua etc etc
2 Is there better value in chasing Korbin Sims , RC Gillard or Gillett ??
3 Do you go into a bidding war with the Knights which could get ridiculous as the Knights are desperate to snare name players and pay overs ??
LAM has been most consistent over the past few seasons and surely deserves a pay rise but where do you draw the line . Is he a $250/300k player ? possibly but no more...
I would imagine LAM could very easily become a starting prop next year as Graham slows down. Definitely in 2020.
No, we wouldn’t get better value out of Korbin Sims (not a patch on Ah Mau), RCG (would cost big dollars) or Gillet (completely different position).

As for our juniors - those looking for prop spots (Lawrie, Kerr) will not cost any huge dollars and are several years away from being at Ah Mau’s level. We need to maintain a good prop rotation in the next few years or the long term signings of McInnes, Widdop and Hunt will be wasted. Vaughan can’t do it all on his own.

getsmarty

Immortal
ah-maul-180406-gp-12.jpg

DRAGONS

Ah Mau's bench impact has rivals circling
Author
Dan Walsh & Brad Walter
Timestamp
Mon 9 Apr 2018, 03:30 PM

Leeson Ah Mau's blockbusting impact off the Dragons bench may end up costing the surprise table-toppers as rivals circle the off-contract prop.

The Knights are understood to be leading the pursuit of the 28-year-old front-rower, with Ah Mau recently sitting down with coach Nathan Brown and touring the Steel City, according to a Newcastle Herald report over the weekend.

Ah Mau's preference has been to stay at St George Illawarra and the club is hopeful of retaining him, with talks between the two ongoing for some time.

But his stunning 2018 form has coincided with the most important contract negotiations of his career, a situation that may see the Dragons priced out of the contest for his services.

Ah Mau's transformation from starting prop to interchange weapon has seen him average just 36 minutes a game across the Red V's unbeaten start to the season, the least game time he has had since joining the club in 2012.

But less is proving more for the Samoan international, who is punching out career highs for runs (11.6 a game), metres (125 a game) and tackle busts (3.4) while Ah Mau also snapped an 83-game try-scoring drought with a four-pointer against Newcastle two weeks ago.

lafait-ah-maul-180406-gp-01-.jpg

Dragons duo Tim Lafai and Leeson Ah Mau. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
The arrival of first Russell Packer and then James Graham at the Dragons has prompted Ah Mau's transformation from starting big man to impact man in recent years.

While admitting a run-on start would be on most any player's wish list, Graham had nothing but praise for Ah Mau's contributions to the red and white cause.

"He's been outstanding for us this year," Graham said.

"[Ah Mau] and Jeremy Latimore, when they've injected themselves into the game they've been outstanding.

"…In the past decade we've really seen it go from a 13-man game to a 17-man game. What that bench brings can almost be the difference and credit to Leeson, he's been absolutely outstanding.

"I think like most middle [forwards] he'd want to start but he's playing out of his skin when he comes on for us, that's for sure."

The Knights have well-documented cash to spend up front and have already signalled their interest in Broncos powerhouse Tevita Pangai jnr.

Newcastle will hold fire on any decisions around veterans Chris Heighington and Jacob Lillyman for some time yet, making an experienced front-rower such as Ah Mau an attractive option given the promise shown by young props Josh King and the Saifiti brothers Daniel and Jacob.

Closer to home the club has also resumed contract discussions with back-rower Sione Mata'utia, after a series of concussion issues raised concern about his immediate future in the game.

But following an off-season without any contact work and exhaustive cognitive tests that cleared him to return to the paddock, both the Knights and Mata'utia are now hopeful of tying down the local junior for the long term.

"Sione's a young Newcastle kid that has been here for a long time and we'd like to see him play his whole career here if it works out," Brown told NRL.com.

"He's a player that is definitely a part of where we'd like to get to as a club and those discussions are ongoing."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/09...son-ah-maus-bench-impact-has-rivals-circling/

TomRedVRiver

Bench
It would be ideal to retain Leeson, but I think it's going to be really difficult. Desperate clubs like Newcastle will be wanting to pay him well for his services and Leeson, being 28, will want to secure his future.

I wouldn't blame him for moving on, and if he does, I sincerely hope people don't jump back on the Millward hate train. You can't keep them all.

Alec's-saints

Juniors
It would be ideal to retain Leeson, but I think it's going to be really difficult. Desperate clubs like Newcastle will be wanting to pay him well for his services and Leeson, being 28, will want to secure his future.

I wouldn't blame him for moving on, and if he does, I sincerely hope people don't jump back on the Millward hate train. You can't keep them all.
he will stay. dragons premiership just around the corner.

If we could come up with more than $26K in third party payments it wouldn't be an issue. This is where our inability to organise or be competitive with TPAs hurts us. We can't just gloss over it.