What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons club records

Willow

Assistant Moderator
They hold the longest losing streak which is 11 in 1988

Wishart has the most points in a season 176 most tries 68 most goals 386 most points 1044 and most points in a match 22 which he did four times
I assume you are just referring to Illawarra there.

Harry Bath holds the record for most points in a season. Les Griffin and Jack Lindwall jointly hold the record for most points in a match with 36 points. (Wishart's 22 is also equal with Amos Roberts).

Most Points in a Season
•St George
Harry Bath 225 points, (3 tries, 108 goals) Season 1958
[SIZE=-1]•[/SIZE]Illawarra
Rod Wishart 176 points, (11 tries, 66 goals) Season 1995
[SIZE=-1]•[/SIZE]St George Illawarra
Wayne Bartrim 162 points, (5 tries, 71 goals) Season 1999

Most Points in a Match
•St George
Les Griffin 36 points (2 tries, 15 goals) v Canterbury, Earl Park 11 May 1935
Jack Lindwall 36 points (6 tries, 9 goals) v Manly, Hurstville Oval 3 May 1947
Rod Wishart 22 points (1 try, 9 goals) v Western Suburbs, Steelers Stadium
27 August 1995
Rod Wishart 22 points (3 tries, 5 goals) v Newcastle Knights, Marathon Stadium
4 August 1996
Rod Wishart 22 points (2 tries, 7 goals) v Penrith Panthers, Steelers Stadium
25 August 1996
Rod Wishart 22 points (2 tries, 7 goals) v South Sydney Rabbitohs, WIN Stadium
9 March 1997
Amos Roberts 22 points (1 try, 9 goals) v Auckland Warriors, WIN Stadium
6 May 2000 (premiership record for points scored on debut)

Interestingly, Wes Naiqama broke the 'all grades' record for most points in a match while playing Jersey Flegg in 2002. The club acknowledged it as a club record as well.

St George Illawarra Jersey Flegg speedster Wes Naiqama has secured a club record by amassing a huge 38 points in last Saturday’s victory against North Sydney.
Naiqama crossed for five tries and kicked nine goals from as many attempts to surpass the joint record of 36 points held by Les Griffin and Jack Lindwall.
Griffin scored two tries and kicked 15 goals in 1935 while playing for St George and Lindwall made his mark with six tries and nine goals in 1947 while also donning the ‘Red V’.

http://www.dragons.com.au/index.asp?pageID=101&menuItemID=10&articleID=798

Most Tries in a Season
•St George
Tommy Ryan 26 tries, Season 1957
Alan McIndoe 19 tries, Season 1991
Nathan Blacklock 27 tries, Season 2001

Most Goals in a Season
•St George
Harry Bath 108 goals, Season 1958
John Dorahy 76 goals, Season 1983
Wayne Bartrim 71 goals, Season 1999

Most Points in a Season
•St George
Harry Bath 225 points, (3 tries, 108 goals) Season 1958
Rod Wishart 176 points, (11 tries, 66 goals) Season 1995
Wayne Bartrim 162 points, (5 tries, 71 goals) Season 1999

Most Tries in Club History
•St George
Johnny King 143 tries, 1960-1971
Rod Wishart 68 tries, 1989-1998
Nathan Blacklock 100 tries, 1999-2004 (+ 20 for St George = 120 tries since 1997)

Most Goals in Club History
•St George
Graeme Langlands 648 goals, 1963-1976
Rod Wishart 386 goals, 1989-1998
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]•[/SIZE]St George Illawarra
Wayne Bartrim 79 goals, 1999-2002[/SIZE]

Most Points in Club History
•St George
Graeme Langlands 1554 points, (86 tries, 648 goals) 1963-1976
Rod Wishart 1044 points, (68 tries, 386 goals) 1989-1998
Wayne Bartrim 374 points, (8 tries, 171 goals) 1999-2001

Longest Winning Streak
•St George
12 matches 6 June 1958 - 24 May 1959
[SIZE=-2](St George went through the 1959 season undefeated, however they drew one game. During this period, the Saints played an amazing 23 matches without loss).[/SIZE]
4 matches 4 July - 25 July 1993
4 matches 25 June - 17 July 1997
•[SIZE=-1]St George Illawarra[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]7 matches 22 May - 17 July 1999[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]7 matches 24 June - 9 July 2006[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]7 matches 17 May - 5 July 2008[/SIZE]

http://www.jubileeavenue.com.au/history/records.php

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Most Tries in Club History
•St George
Johnny King 143 tries, 1960-1971
Rod Wishart 68 tries, 1989-1998
Nathan Blacklock 100 tries, 1999-2004 (+ 20 for St George = 120 tries since 1997)

Well if the club says that the combined records are the official records then Middleton can go and get stvffed.

By the way, when I say that the records should be combined, Nathan Blacklock should be down for 120 tries, not necessarily 100 tries for being the St. George Illawarra record holder. In my opinion there should be no distinction it just continues on.

Another record that i think the Steelers would hold is Michael Bolt playing most number of consecutive first grade games. He held the NRL record until Jason Taylor broke it and I think it's also been broken since then.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I was willing Tingha to break Johnny King's record. If it wasn't for that break to union, he might have just got there.

Father Ted

First Grade
I don't know Wests Tigers stance on this, I suspect plenty of fans would like to combine the premierships of Balmain and Wests. Quite frankly I see that as a decision for them to make.

The problem is with the NRL. They form a merger of their own, and quite happily inherit all the competition's records as a continuation of their own. They have effectively taken over ownership of the NSWRL records. Also worth noting that the NRL is quite happy to exploit the history of St George whenever they feel it will get a few more bums on seats.

The NRL argue that we are a new business as we have a new ABN then forget that they are in the same boat yet do the opposite ? There's a word for that .

Father Ted

First Grade
I was willing Tingha to break Johnny King's record. If it wasn't for that break to union, he might have just got there.

Got a real soft spot for Johnny King som I'm happy for him to hold a record or two . He and Ken Irvine are the two best wingers I've watched .

petetheileet

First Grade
Soward is gna break a lot of Bartrims records this season me thinks....

Did browny ever have just one goal kicker??

Godz Illa

Coach
Yeah thats an interesting myth. Nothing to do with the fact that our main kickers during Browny's reign were either injured for long periods (Head), or spent large chunks of game time on the bench (Riddell, Ennis), or just weren't in first grade (Gorrell).

miănfèinàn

Juniors
Another record that I think the Steelers would hold is Michael Bolt playing most number of consecutive first grade games. He held the NRL record until Jason Taylor broke it and I think it's also been broken since then.
Actually, no.

Bolt held the record for most consecutive games in any grade without missing one – 187 straight form 1983 to 1990. Bolt, however, played reserve grade for just over half of 1985 (Sean O‘Connor took his first grade berth until Round 18) and for all of 1989 and 1990 except for Rounds 6, 19, 20, 21 and 22 of 1989 (Dean Schifilliti took his place first grade hooker permanently except for moving to the back row for those last few games of 1989 when Bolt re-took his first grade hooking berth).

At that time, Parramatta prop Roy Fisher held the record for most consecutive first-grade games without missing one. He played 143 during the blue and gold’s run of six straight wooden spoons from 1956 to 1961, losing his berth just as Parramatta made a rapid rise from last to fourth in 1962. Fisher did play for City in 1959, as Bolt had in 1984.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Abn.......BS

St George attained it's old area back.
Yes St George illawarra have one 16 premierships. It is time the Nrl recognize this and update all the website services

Dragonscales

Juniors
There should've been a clause in the merger that states the New Club (St George Illawarra) will retain and adopt the St George Dragons' premierships and history.

Saintsified

Bench
The ARL and SUPERLEAGUE merged and formed the NRL, the NRL adopted the ARL/NSWRL history as its own because it was more substantial and adds credibility to the NRL, ST GEORGE DRAGONS and ILLAWARRA STEELERS merged and formed the ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA STEELERS and we are told we cant carry the history of the more substantial side of the ledger. SCUM merkinS,

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Acknowledging I'm a new poster not wanting to indulge in 'braggadocio", I can become quite finicky when it comes to the status of the Club I've supported for 40 something years.

St George Illawarra is a joint venture, not a merger.

That said, the subject matter of this thread piques my interest, and the kerfuffle it causes amuses me immensely.

The NRL doesn't recognise the Dragons pre 1999, you say?

Well, do we all not know that the NRL's 2016 Official Guide states very clearly the Dragons have 16 premierships?

Problem solved.

Saintsified

Bench
Acknowledging I'm a new poster not wanting to indulge in 'braggadocio", I can become quite finicky when it comes to the status of the Club I've supported for 40 something years.

That said, the subject matter of this thread piques my interest, and the kerfuffle it causes amuses me immensely.

Well, do we all not know that the NRL's 2016 Official Guide states very clearly the Dragons have 16 premierships?

Problem solved.

They don't generally recognise our premierships prior to 1999, however i found it amusing that in 2010 the NRL conveniently marketed this could be our first GF WIN IN 31 years. They want their cake and eat it. scum.

1st & 10

Juniors
I asked Doust this question prior to merge and he assured me over a Crownie that stats will not be reset from 1999 and our next title will be 16 .

Saints est 1921

Willow

Assistant Moderator

Problem solved.
Good post Saint Jimmy.

And you're absolutely correct that it is a Joint Venture, not a merger. There is a difference.

Latest posts