What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons new podcast

BrissyRedV

Bench
I think it was more the short inserts from Hunt and Graham that got me pumped. I really like those 2 blokes. Always been a fan of Graham. To hear them talk about wearing the Dragons colours is exciting.
You're right about Mary, he sounded like he was reading from a company letter that he'd be given from the board.
I do agree about Hunt and Graham. I rate those guys and they could prove to be great additions to the squad. But unfortunately, with the retention of Mary and the way he speaks, all I see is another wasted season. I fear we will not see the best of this squad until he is gone and at this stage, that may not be until 2020! I hold little optimism for the coming season with him in charge.

Crush

Coach
I do agree about Hunt and Graham. I rate those guys and they could prove to be great additions to the squad. But unfortunately, with the retention of Mary and the way he speaks, all I see is another wasted season. I fear we will not see the best of this squad until he is gone and at this stage, that may not be until 2020! I hold little optimism for the coming season with him in charge.
I'm optimistic about 2018. I think we can have a season we will be proud of. As I have said previously I think the only danger regarding Mary is if we just scrape into the 8 the board will be satisfied and retain him. We don't want that.
If we finish outside the 8 Mary will be sacked and if we finish top 4 then everybody is happy right?

BrissyRedV

Bench
I'm optimistic about 2018. I think we can have a season we will be proud of. As I have said previously I think the only danger regarding Mary is if we just scrape into the 8 the board will be satisfied and retain him. We don't want that.
If we finish outside the 8 Mary will be sacked and if we finish top 4 then everybody is happy right?
With the squad we have, I would consider a prelim as a pass. But I have seen enough of Mary to suggest that we are no hope of making it that far, hence the lack of optimism for 2018. I have the same fear of him being given a pass for a top 8 finish when really, we should be pushing for the premiership. I even doubt the club would sack him if we failed to make the 8.

Crush

Coach
With the squad we have, I would consider a prelim as a pass. But I have seen enough of Mary to suggest that we are no hope of making it that far, hence the lack of optimism for 2018. I have the same fear of him being given a pass for a top 8 finish when really, we should be pushing for the premiership. I even doubt the club would sack him if we failed to make the 8.
If we missed the eight altogether and he was retained that would be something special.

BrissyRedV

Bench
If we missed the eight altogether and he was retained that would be something special.
The point is though and especially highlighted in the podcast, he got a pass mark for this season not making the 8. The rhetoric of doing better than what the critics expected shows where the club is at and how it accepts poor results. After the side fell from 1st to 9th after an inconsistent, poor 2nd half of the season, how did they seriously justify his retention in the boardroom? How did the suggested review they did, find that he was not the catalyst for the fade? Thry can't blame injuries as we used the least amount of players this season.

BennyV

Referee
Wholeheartedly disagree.

2016 - missed the 8, Mary retained.
2017 - missed the 8 following a disturbing plummet down the ladder, Mary extended (even applauded).

Unless we get the spoon in 2018 (which won't happen) then he will be with us in 2019.

Crush

Coach
Wholeheartedly disagree.

2016 - missed the 8, Mary retained.
2017 - missed the 8 following a disturbing plummet down the ladder, Mary extended (even applauded).

Unless we get the spoon in 2018 (which won't happen) then he will be with us in 2019.
I think he will be sacked if we miss the eight next year. The circumstances of his retention this year were extraordinary. They jumped the gun with his extension. They will be looking for excellent results next year or goneskii!

getsmarty

Immortal
I think he will be sacked if we miss the eight next year. The circumstances of his retention this year were extraordinary. They jumped the gun with his extension. They will be looking for excellent results next year or goneskii!

Logically one would have to agree but we are talking about our board...more than likely they will trot out " We have learned from this year and will be better for it next year along with the coach now has the squad he wants"....this type of statement keeps getting repeated over last few years....Media never picks up on it.

Crush

Coach
Well he has already achieved that...twice!
Now going for 3 in a row.
Alas the long suffering Dragons Fans.
Hence why I said if he was retained after missing the eight next year (after having missed the eight every year he has been coach) it would be truly special! Won't happen, hes gone unless we are playing finals.

Hence why I said if he was retained after missing the eight next year (after having missed the eight every year he has been coach) it would be truly special! Won't happen, hes gone unless we are playing finals.
But would they be prepared to move early with the view to salvaging 2018 season if he is tanking early?
I am more interested in a swift execution than a season long torture.

Crush

Coach
But would they be prepared to move early with the view to salvaging 2018 season if he is tanking early?
I am more interested in a swift execution than a season long torture.
Yeah I reckon given our easy start to the season with loads of home games if we were losing by round 10 he'd be on the chopping block.

TruSaint

Referee
Sorry havent read through the whole thread, but my opinion is Mary will see out the 2 years.

Our recent history shows, we dont sack coaches.

Mind you with the squad he has, he should not only be aiming for a top 8 , but would suggest 4-5th.

We lack one back, and maybe that spot will be filled. Other than that, Mary has no excuses. I know he should not have be re-signed at all, but he has, and we have him for 2 years.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
As I have stated before.
If we end up 5 or 6 that will be a pass.
Anything less is unacceptable and should see the coaching staff gone.

TruSaint

Referee
As I have stated before.
If we end up 5 or 6 that will be a pass.
Anything less is unacceptable and should see the coaching staff gone.

Agree. This top 8 notion should NOT be seen as a pass mark IMHO.
AS much as i would have taken 8th this year, ( just for the sake of playing in Sept ), we capitulated big time, again. Scrapping into 8th next year is a failure.. period.

qld redvee

Juniors
listening to the pod cast we have to play for 80 minutes - if the players couldnt be coached this year then who can do it this year as we have the same structure. WE should have secured a finals berth before the dogs game -- should have been coached into the players via game plan and bench selection rotation also mary has said "his fingerprints are now on the roster I reckon last year he said the same thing he had the roster he wanted !!!!!!!!!!! So every signing ( as possum rightly states ) has to be an improvement . So who spied our mid season signing from north qld in piera ? I cant see him developing better than a Levi Dodd or other juniors. And if a player is busted (mcrone) then you replace him not keep playing him As mentioned if we dont hit the top 4 we have failed and we dont need the constant well gee we played good sometimes !!!!!!!!!!! As you guys constantly state the aim is finals and ultimately success !! So where do we go if we come in say 6 7 8 next year - Is it because we didnt quite have the roster that I want ?? losing dugan and not being able to replace him ( now thats an excuse isnt it ) sorry guys starting to rant .....