What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Post Mortem

BigNormProvan

Juniors
There's a few here saying Saints should have won by a bigger margin. I think you guys are missing the point of Bennett's game plan. We were never in the position of having to chase the game - so why play 'fancy footy'? I thought it was a credit to Saints for sticking tight to their matchplan and backing the coaches' orders, in such a close contest. Physically grinding a team in the early rounds is almost as important as points, until defences become settled and fitness levels improve.

The test for us will be when we go behind in a game and how we go about addressing that. With Prior and Scott in the centres we don't have an attacking/passing option to utilize Morris, Boyd and Nightingale, in addition to the attacking Fien going off. BUT, their defensive work was important in the whole scheme of controlled, methodical football. In addition to their hit-up capacity.

For me it was a Bennett master-class, well executed by a well drilled team.

Big Norm

Fitz

Juniors
I dont think fui likes the bench

x 2.

The move killed his momentum from last year. He finished the season as one of the best players in the NRL, and was our only shining light in the trial.

Absolutly no logic behind him starting on the bench.

strider

Post Whore
I think Fui just had a bad hair day - it ruin's your whole day when it just doesn't turn out right

Delboy

First Grade
I think what is trying to be said, is Saints played a fow\rward dominated - run from one off the dummy halk and crash upfield. Then kick and contain, works wonders in the regular season.

They have the style to win the minor premiership, not the style to win the big one.

At one stage I thought I was watching yawnion. big lumbers up the middle , kick long bash and wait for an opportunity to get a penalty, won't that bring back the crowds

Mannah outplayed our other props, Poore was disappointing, Robson defended well and made one break, and you can see why they tried to get Kingston as a priority signing but couldn't squeeze him in. I actually thought both centres played well, as did the other backs- not a lot from 7 and the front row was our issue. No filed position and the dragqueens should have won by 20 with possession and penalties, but lacked any creativity when Fein went down

parra pete

Referee
Fui didn't have the "shine" he has when he is on his game.
Looked listless and played like it. Pretty ordinary game from a bloke who has so much to offer. Give him a couple more weeks to get the 'shine' back into his coat...

Pazza

First Grade
was impressed by the way we were able to contain them on our line for long periods. Commitment in defense is a good sign at this part of the season, out attack will come good as the season progresses.

It was great to see the young guys (morts and mannah) pick up where they left off last season.

84 Baby

Referee
Agreed.

winning games is definitely not how you win a comp in this day and age.

losing games is a sure fire way to win it.

gronk
I agree with junior. If the Dragons play like they did last night all season they won't make the 8, especially if Fien is out for a prolonged time. Their defence and control in possession was top notch, but their attack, the kids running around pre-match would have been up to the task of stopping it. Penalties (correctly or incorrectly called) won you the match, they won't every week.

That all said if Bennett doesn't realise this than i'll eat my hat. I expect they'll play like that for the first few weeks to get into the speed of things then up the tempo in attack. If they don't, then as good a team they may be, they won't win the comp.

It's only week 1

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think our pack generally did well. The Dragons were brutal in defence and relentless in attack, and undoubtedly it took a lot out of our boys. But in general, I think our forwards did well. Maybe they didn't dent the line as much as we would have liked, but I feel they did well.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I agree with junior. If the Dragons play like they did last night all season they won't make the 8, especially if Fien is out for a prolonged time. Their defence and control in possession was top notch, but their attack, the kids running around pre-match would have been up to the task of stopping it. Penalties (correctly or incorrectly called) won you the match, they won't every week.

That all said if Bennett doesn't realise this than i'll eat my hat. I expect they'll play like that for the first few weeks to get into the speed of things then up the tempo in attack. If they don't, then as good a team they may be, they won't win the comp.

It's only week 1

I think we defended out of our skins tbh.

phonetic

Juniors
At one stage I thought I was watching yawnion. big lumbers up the middle , kick long bash and wait for an opportunity to get a penalty, won't that bring back the crowds

Gees people are whipping this train of thought. You'd think the backs didn't see the ball all night.

2 points is 2 points, on the field, and on the premiership ladder. Saints took them last night and if they keep doing so, that'll bring crowds (at Kogarah and Wollongong anyway).

The parra fans seem to have a very good handle on how much improvement St george have in them, and just how much our attack can improve over the year. It's a bit of a laugh.

Delboy

First Grade
Phonetic, that was they style you adopted, and as I said you will more games than you lose, but one pass off the dummy half and crash upfield worked

Look, I am not sure how much either side will improve, I don't like that style of play and didn't when the Roosters did it under Ricky or the Storm , just that those sides had Freddie Fittler and Slater/Inglis.

84 Baby

Referee
Gees people are whipping this train of thought. You'd think the backs didn't see the ball all night.

2 points is 2 points, on the field, and on the premiership ladder. Saints took them last night and if they keep doing so, that'll bring crowds (at Kogarah and Wollongong anyway).

The parra fans seem to have a very good handle on how much improvement St george have in them, and just how much our attack can improve over the year. It's a bit of a laugh.
Always good to see Saints fans after they win

parra pete

Referee
Please, when the team gets beaten, don't use the referee as an excuse...!!!
No matter how hopeless they are - or how they favour one side.

thommo4pm

Coach
Always good to see Saints fans after they win

Likewise Parra fans when they lose.

For all of you saying Parra defended their arses off, and Saints had major possession....what about the fact that we belted you into submission.
Where's the acknowledgement for the smashing tackle on Cayless from the kick off after you scored to get back to 16-12.....ultimately that lost you the match. You were always on the back foot from there(and never got out of your own end), and we kicked 2 points a few minutes later.

Saints might not have been pretty to watch from a non-saints fan point of view, but against a lesser pack last night....our team would have run in 30+ points.
Also Matt Prior not normally a centre bombed 3 try's by not using his overlap.....had he passed to unmarked Brett Morris just once or twice, the scoreline blows out completely.

Bennett has stated he was happy with what they did, and our attack will not be on show until half way through the year, god help all sides when it does come, cause one of the better attacking teams couldn't crack us for more than 12 points last night.

84 Baby

Referee
Please, when the team gets beaten, don't use the referee as an excuse...!!!
No matter how hopeless they are - or how they favour one side.
All I was saying that penalties are a part of the game and Dragons got the benefit os some allowing them to take shots at goal, and if it weren't for kicking those goals I doubt the Dragons had anymore points in them. It was either our fault for giving penalties in stupid positions (the rake) or Archer/Sutton injecting themselves into the game (the obstruction on the kick)

thommo4pm

Coach
All I was saying that penalties are a part of the game and Dragons got the benefit os some allowing them to take shots at goal, and if it weren't for kicking those goals I doubt the Dragons had anymore points in them. It was either our fault for giving penalties in stupid positions (the rake) or Archer/Sutton injecting themselves into the game (the obstruction on the kick)

Well let me ask you this, why did Robson need to go anywhere near Creagh and put himself in a position to be penalised?
They were all penalised for that type of play last year, why even run the risk of doing it?
Don't blame the ref's for something your team could have controlled.

84 Baby

Referee
Well let me ask you this, why did Robson need to go anywhere near Creagh and put himself in a position to be penalised?
They were all penalised for that type of play last year, why even run the risk of doing it?
Don't blame the ref's for something your team could have controlled.
Where have I blamed the refs? We got a couple of iffy calls against us. That doesn't lose you games. I only said Dragons got a few penalties in goal kicking range and won the game off the back of kicking penalties. Them's the facts and no blame attributed

Latest posts