What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Predicted Wooden Spooners

giboz71

First Grade
We actually finished much higher on the ladder than we should have last year.

I can think of at least 4 or 5 games we were lucky to win. 2 games against a depleted Cows and Storm team, who would have lapped us had they been full strength. Canberra gifted us a game at Kogarah, the GI brain snap in the rain, Duges bailing us out in the last minute against the Panthers.

All these games we could have easily lost. And remember Parra lost their points allowing us to finish above them. Plus we were lucky to have 2 games against the Knights, one of which we almost lost. Believe me, we were a lot closer to the spoon last year than we realise.

And with the Knights on the rise after thumping the Raiders in their trial, it's really no surprise we're favourites for the spoon now.

possm

Coach
I am sure that if Price was left in charge, we also would have been favourite for the wooden spoon. However, we sacked Price and put someone in charge with similar talent and experience. Now it's time to sack this fraud and call for the head of those Board members who so forcefully supported his continuance.

since77

Juniors
[QUOTE="giboz71, post: 11999196, member: 40129", Canberra gifted us a game at Kogarah, the GI brain snap in the rain, Duges bailing us out in the last minute against the Panthers
[/QUOTE]

Way too much is made of the GI Field goal attempt - apart from the comedy value of it. People go on like it cost Souths the game - where it was actually their final play of the game, they were behind on the scoreboard and they had to score a try off that play to win. While possible, its highly unlikely they would have scored a try off that play. To say we were lucky to win that game because GI went for a field goal is stretching it.

And while we got off the hook in the Canberra game with an intercept, again people forget we were ahead most of that game as well. So were we gifted that game or had we played JUST well enough so that scores were even at full time and we jagged an intercept?

Don't get me wrong, we were abysmal last year - the most abysmal I've ever seen us and I am actually astounded teams finished below us on the ladder - but every team in the NRL jags lucky wins and also loses games due to an unlucky error near the end of the game. Both of last years grand finalists had lucky escapes against Canberra in the semi finals - particularly Melbourne.

Glenn01

Juniors
I'm among the more optimistic participants in this forum. I'm predicting that after only 3 or 4 rounds, McWanker will be out the door promptly followed by his love child, Gareth Widdop. There will be a dramatic improvement. Only incrementally and we won't make the finals but by the end of the season, Nightingale is no longer a starting winger (I hope he can find a place as utility on the bench) and even though the halves are still an issue, the team is good enough to challenge any other in the competition and win a lot of games.
The end result is 9th or 10th position and among the favorites in 2018 premiership betting.

Glenn01

Juniors
Way too much is made of the GI Field goal attempt - apart from the comedy value of it. People go on like it cost Souths the game - where it was actually their final play of the game, they were behind on the scoreboard and they had to score a try off that play to win. While possible, its highly unlikely they would have scored a try off that play. To say we were lucky to win that game because GI went for a field goal is stretching it.

And while we got off the hook in the Canberra game with an intercept, again people forget we were ahead most of that game as well. So were we gifted that game or had we played JUST well enough so that scores were even at full time and we jagged an intercept?

Don't get me wrong, we were abysmal last year - the most abysmal I've ever seen us and I am actually astounded teams finished below us on the ladder - but every team in the NRL jags lucky wins and also loses games due to an unlucky error near the end of the game. Both of last years grand finalists had lucky escapes against Canberra in the semi finals - particularly Melbourne.
I remember that game. You are right about Inglis but the forwards absolutely dominated their big name Souffs counterparts. JDB had a blinder.

since77

Juniors
I remember that game. You are right about Inglis but the forwards absolutely dominated their big name Souffs counterparts. JDB had a blinder.

Correct. While the team deserved every single piece of criticism lumped onto them last year, to say we were lucky to win the Souths game because GI had a Terry Lamb moment is just plain wrong.

possm

Coach
If Mary is sacked early on and the Board bring in an experienced coach for the rest of the season, I believe the current squad would do well and possibly make the 8. Blind Freddie can see what is wrong with the way our team is performing now thus my confidence that an experienced coach would address the situation in a short period of time.

Crush

Coach
I'm among the more optimistic participants in this forum. I'm predicting that after only 3 or 4 rounds, McWanker will be out the door promptly followed by his love child, Gareth Widdop. There will be a dramatic improvement. Only incrementally and we won't make the finals but by the end of the season, Nightingale is no longer a starting winger (I hope he can find a place as utility on the bench) and even though the halves are still an issue, the team is good enough to challenge any other in the competition and win a lot of games.
The end result is 9th or 10th position and among the favorites in 2018 premiership betting.
I doubt it. Why wouldn't they have sacked him in the off-season? They wont sack him after 3 or 4 rounds. And Widdop will play every game this season unless injured. IMO

possm

Coach
I doubt it. Why wouldn't they have sacked him in the off-season? They wont sack him after 3 or 4 rounds. And Widdop will play every game this season unless injured. IMO
If they have signed a coach for 2018 - e.g. Hasler - and this coach is not available for the 2017 season, they would not necessarily cut Mary's tenure short. If things go pearshape early on in the season, the Board may give Hornby and Young the chance to embellish their resume by install them as co-coach for the remainder of 2017.

giboz71

First Grade
Way too much is made of the GI Field goal attempt - apart from the comedy value of it. People go on like it cost Souths the game - where it was actually their final play of the game said:
even[/U] at full time and we jagged an intercept?

All fair points, but be that as it may, I think we can conclude that we had a lot more "lucky" wins than "unlucky" losses, since most of our defeats were beltings.

possm

Coach
Wouldn't it be great to have a clever captain. I remember seeing time after time wrong field decisions taken when the right decision would have most certainly won the game.

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I personally think our roster is too strong to end up Wooden Spooners, although I think we will be clearly in the bottom half of the table until changes are made at the club.
I agree with you....new coach new halves.....I think most on here would agree if we could just see something positive happening even if we bloodied some of our younger brigade, we wouldnt expect miracles but some building process taking place would give us all a lift instead of another year of negativity

dragons girl

Juniors
Another article to rub salt, it's an absolute disgrace how the board are willing to keep going with status quo!
With Nrl clubs being a business,and most other clubs being run as such our board is so far behind.After Bennet left i had hoped that the dragons would continue on in the same way under Price,that they had under Bennett.That was not to be.Then we get Mary who is worse than Price.The board is a disgrace,and should all resign .The contempt that they are showing towards coaching appointments,and to all the fans and supporters shows us all how little they care about this once proud club.
Its all our fault the supporters and fans because we have the nerve to question the s it choices that are made.Any other business with such poor performances over such a period of time,would have sacked those responsible for it.Welcome to the Doust age.

dragons girl

Juniors
I agree with you....new coach new halves.....I think most on here would agree if we could just see something positive happening even if we bloodied some of our younger brigade, we wouldnt expect miracles but some building process taking place would give us all a lift instead of another year of negativity
Agree time to give our youngsters a shot.Nothing will improve with virtually the same side as last year.Make Frizzel the Captain I think he leads by example STRAIGHT running and hits hard.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
A
Wouldn't be great to have a clever captain. I remember seeing time after time wrong field decisions taken when the right decision would most certainly won the game.
Absolutely your spot on......Widdop was ok at The Storm because he had the big three around him, he didnt have to think just execute what was in front of him....he hasnt got that luxury here...frankly, difficult as it is with poor coaching and direction off the field he just doesnt have the vision and ability imo to overcome this on the field

Lethal25

Juniors
We actually finished much higher on the ladder than we should have last year.

I can think of at least 4 or 5 games we were lucky to win. 2 games against a depleted Cows and Storm team, who would have lapped us had they been full strength. Canberra gifted us a game at Kogarah, the GI brain snap in the rain, Duges bailing us out in the last minute against the Panthers.

All these games we could have easily lost. And remember Parra lost their points allowing us to finish above them. Plus we were lucky to have 2 games against the Knights, one of which we almost lost. Believe me, we were a lot closer to the spoon last year than we realise.

And with the Knights on the rise after thumping the Raiders in their trial, it's really no surprise we're favourites for the spoon now.
I agree we got lucky in a couple of games and especially catching Storm and Cowboys without origin players but Newcastle only had one win and one draw all season, we had a decent gap on them at least.

2017 may prove different but some team always cops it hard with injuries so fingers crossed that's not us

kit66

Bench

I'm sure all of us, optimist or pessimist, would like this scenario. Although it would only work if we replaced Mary with a decent coach from outside the club. If Hornby or Dean Young take over then we're still Wooden Spoon contenders for sure.
Our second half defence in the CS was as bad as anything we offered up last year, if not worse. If we don't fix that first we will get the Spoon. Oppositions will know if they get down to our twenty, there's points for the taking and all that takes is a penalty or hard running forwards up the middle to get you into our red zone.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The quicker they act on removing the 2 obvious culprits to their poor form, the better chance they have of salvaging the season and possibly sneaking into the 8.

But they will wait till it's too late and Hasler will sign with the Sea Eagles and Cleary to the Dogs and Saints will be holding their dic$s in their hands. Forget Demitriou, if Mary gets sacked early, they will probably not go to him because it shows that they know they have severly screwed up 2017. I bet Young gets a run next and Saints get worse.

Lets face it, we go for the dumbest club in the NRL. In 2010 we thought they actually woke the sleeping Giant and would be dominant for years to come only to be a laughing stock 24 months later.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I'm sure all of us, optimist or pessimist, would like this scenario. Although it would only work if we replaced Mary with a decent coach from outside the club. If Hornby or Dean Young take over then we're still Wooden Spoon contenders for sure.
Our second half defence in the CS was as bad as anything we offered up last year, if not worse. If we don't fix that first we will get the Spoon. Oppositions will know if they get down to our twenty, there's points for the taking and all that takes is a penalty or hard running forwards up the middle to get you into our red zone.
As much as I respected Hornby and Young as players NO more jobs for the old boys ...time for a new visionary

Latest posts