What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons sign Korbin Sims

SBD82

Coach
A big shame we haven't been able to develop Kerr in the same way. We will still be one good prop short.
It's a shame, but it's a different scenario.

Over the past couple of years our club seems to be able to put the icing on the forwards who have nrl experience and are thereabouts, but not bring through the young uns.

That being said, a forward who is over 25 who has proven they can withstand the toll that a season of nrl puts on their body is probably a better bet than an unknown youngster in isp.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I see Korbin as a Brisbane off cut. They didn't want to keep him. I see him as a bench prop at best. I think he is a downgrade on Ah Mau. I hope he can prove me wrong. Even with the signing of Korbin, we still need another top line prop on our roster.

Frank can see what you say about Korbin but I remember when LAM started here a lot of people thought he was to slow and not hitting the line
Well he has sure made all those people eat humble pie.
I think Korbin will do the same.
But agree we need one more prop.
But we need the backline fixed first.
Hopefully Lomax will help.
Not much around

Carlton

Juniors
The choice is do you want a small fullback who occasionally gets exposed at the back, sometimes due to size, more often experience, BUT has electrifying pace and turn a game on its head.
I'll take that any day over a big fullback with no pace who catches the ball good.

I dont think that is the choice we should be making. I think the choice should be do we persist with a small fullback who has deficiencies in his game and may or may not improve or do we look for a fullback with size, pace, can attack, can defend can pass?

I dont know of anyone available but I dont watch every NRL and/or ISP game. If Dufty does show improvement with the physical side of the game thats great and keep him.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
This is a good signing in light of Ah Mau announcement.
Can Millward's brief be extended a little to look for a premiership winning capable coach??
That will be the final puzzle piece once a fast & experienced winger/centre has been signed.

I see Korbin as a Brisbane off cut. They didn't want to keep him. I see him as a bench prop at best. I think he is a downgrade on Ah Mau. I hope he can prove me wrong. Even with the signing of Korbin, we still need another top line prop on our roster.
I didn't rate Tariq before he got here, now we have a SOO standard forward.
I though we would be better off going after Nikorima instead of Hunt.
I was slightly annoyed we let Dugan go.
I thought Drew Hutcherson had a future.

I guess that's why we anonymously post on Internet forums and don't run football clubs.

I dont think that is the choice we should be making. I think the choice should be do we persist with a small fullback who has deficiencies in his game and may or may not improve or do we look for a fullback with size, pace, can attack, can defend can pass?

I dont know of anyone available but I dont watch every NRL and/or ISP game. If Dufty does show improvement with the physical side of the game thats great and keep him.
Yeah but there we go, everyone here has a opinion, "we need a fullback, we need a winger, we need a centre, we need a prop, we need more depth in the second row, we need an upgraded hooker".
You can't buy everyone, you can't buy a premiership.
We are not the Roosters.

Possm
Kerr biggest problem is that he can not string together more than a few games.
He injured at the moment sould be back soon.
But he still has one more year on his contract.
In my option he needs to run hard .
Always slows down before the line.
Agree re coaching
So does Latimore and he plays first grade.

The Damo

Juniors
I think "cut off" is harsh.
Brisbane faced a choice of keeping Korbin and facing a battle to keep all the other young forwards, or letting Korbin go and keeping them.
Tough choice, cause Korbin has been retaining his place in the team despite Pangai Jr and the rest.
Yep reports they are offering Haas 3 mill for 4 years means they have to let some go I imagine.

blaza88z

Coach
Is this a depth signing for you blokes?

I look at your pack and I don't see where he slots in

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Is this a depth signing for you blokes?

I look at your pack and I don't see where he slots in

We operate on a 'No Depth' policy here at the Dragons.
Our team lacks depth.
Our coach ( for want of a better word ) ....... lacks depth.
Any player purchases will be forwarded to the bench.
Its a nice bench.
Bench players get to watch the whole game.

Inside our players hut ( bench )...........

de9f5bb063c8f37e3fbe89abdfa6c039.jpg

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
There was talk about trying to get Musgrave, does anyone know if this is still on now that we have signed Korbin.

I think, if we could sign Musgrave as well, then things would be looking good in the forwards. Next thing we need is a big, fast, aggressive back (Radradra, Vunivalu, Cotrick, Rapana style player). I dont think we can rely on our juniors filling all the holes in our backline and I dont see any of our juniors filling this role.

A call needs to be made re:Dufty as to whether he can overcome the shortcomings in his game. If the view is he has not progressed sufficiently, then bite the bullet and look for an alternative. The fullback role is too important to have a player who relies almost exclusively on his speed in attack as his reason for being in first grade. He should also be able to pull through tackles, stand in tackles and offload and make metres hitting the ball up from kicks besides showing solid defence and positioning.

Before I have posters jumping down my throat, I am not saying to get rid of him. I am saying we need to stay objective about whether he is making the grade in all areas or not and if he is, fantastic, stay with him because he is lightning. If he isnt dont gamble, make the hard call.
I think Musgrove is still on the agenda. Again we will be signing another offcut. I don't mind the idea of Musgrove, but I would have preferred to have signed only one of Sims and Musgrove and then signed a top line prop as well. I don't think we are going to win a comp with off cuts. It is quite depressing that we only seem to sign off cuts and always shopping at Go Lo or the Reject Shop. It makes me feel like we are one of those clubs in the EPL who will never win the comp, but just make up the numbers. Our lack of funds/TPA's is an indictment on our management.

Mr Red

First Grade
No mention of Sele

Am guessing this means his contract won’t be renewed
Not sure where he fits .... hasn’t really taken his chances, especially last season when he had several matches off the bench consecutively.
Seems too small for a lock, and doesn’t has the running game or offload for what I would consider an effective edge player.
Seems to lack aggression as well in the top grade.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I think "cut off" is harsh.
Brisbane faced a choice of keeping Korbin and facing a battle to keep all the other young forwards, or letting Korbin go and keeping them.
Tough choice, cause Korbin has been retaining his place in the team despite Pangai Jr and the rest.
If Korbin was that good, Brisbane would have wanted to keep him. They obviously rate Pangai Junior, Haas and Lodge all better than Sims, that means that Sims is an off cut. I also rate Pangai, Haas and Lodge all better than Sims. It is going to be hard to win a comp with off cuts.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Possm
Kerr biggest problem is that he can not string together more than a few games.
He injured at the moment sould be back soon.
But he still has one more year on his contract.
In my option he needs to run hard .
Always slows down before the line.
Agree re coaching
I don't think the coaches instruct Kerr to slow down before the line.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Frank can see what you say about Korbin but I remember when LAM started here a lot of people thought he was to slow and not hitting the line
Well he has sure made all those people eat humble pie.
I think Korbin will do the same.
But agree we need one more prop.
But we need the backline fixed first.
Hopefully Lomax will help.
Not much around
I agree with you regarding LAM. I too hope that Korbin can develop like LAM did, but I am not that hopeful.

I agree regarding Lomax. He should be groomed to play centre for us next year, but I can't see Mary dropping Aiken or Lafai to promote him. Rapana is off contract at the end of 2019, he would be on my shopping list. There isn't much talent on offer for next season.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I didn't rate Tariq before he got here, now we have a SOO standard forward.
I though we would be better off going after Nikorima instead of Hunt.
I was slightly annoyed we let Dugan go.
I thought Drew Hutcherson had a future.

I guess that's why we anonymously post on Internet forums and don't run football clubs.
I wanted us to sign Tariq when he was at Nth Qld. He then broke his leg twice and didn't regain that form he showed early in his career. Even when Newy signed him, I would have liked us to have signed him. When we did finally sign him, I was unsure about him then. I thought his best position was lock when we signed him. I still think he would make a great lock.

As soon as we signed Hunt I was extremely happy with that signing. I wouldn't have wanted Nikorima

I was very happy that we let Dugan go and am still very happy about that decision.

I never thought Hutchinson had a future in first grade. He was too big and too slow for a halfback. He didn't have much of a running game either. All he looked to do was catch, pass and kick. I think that because he was picked in junior rep teams, some of our fans over rated him.