What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in Rep Round

eels_fan

First Grade
Gutho
Brown
Tepai
Jennings
Kaysa
Vave
Matagi

Ma'u likely

Solid contingent playing next week.

Gronk

Staff member
I'm very much in favour of rep round. Players love being rewarded for good form. Getting selected for rep teams helps a player grow in confidence. They get to train and play with elite players, watch how they conduct themselves and will come back better for it.

If you played sport at any level, getting selected for reps is an amazing feeling and does amazing things for your well being and confidence.

Our club will benefit from our players playing for their country of heritage or city/country.

RIP to City vs Country.

Ping @parra pete I'd like to hear what the loss of the game does for country footy.

Forty20

First Grade
Indulge me for a moment and imagine a world where Josh Dugan and Blake Ferguson aren't instalocks for NSW...how far off do you think Clinton Gutherson is from a call-up for the Blues?

There is no way he displaces Tedesco in the #1 but he can play anywhere from #1 through to #6 and I dare say he would be a great deal better on the wing now that he is fit and firing as compared to early 2016 when he was working his way back from injury. Queensland have made Michael Morgan a mainstay in the #14 for his ability to plug in through the backline as well as at lock and very occasionally to mini-spell Cameron Smith at hooker. Gutherson offers a similar level of versatility.

Gronk

Staff member
@Forty20 Love Gutho but he is not origin ready yet. Turbo and a few others are ahead of him.

Dugan I rate for rucking it up and his defence. Jenko put his hand up for that spot last night though.

Ferguson is solid but I would be looking for more dynamic wingers.

parra pete

Referee
I'm very much in favour of rep round. Players love being rewarded for good form. Getting selected for rep teams helps a player grow in confidence. They get to train and play with elite players, watch how they conduct themselves and will come back better for it.

If you played sport at any level, getting selected for reps is an amazing feeling and does amazing things for your well being and confidence.

Our club will benefit from our players playing for their country of heritage or city/country.

RIP to City vs Country.

Ping @parra pete I'd like to hear what the loss of the game does for country footy.

Unless you live in a Regional area with the facilities to host a match, in my opinion, NOT MUCH.
I was fortunate to be Co-Manager of the Country sides that played CITY @ Bruce Stadium Canberra in 1981 - and I really enjoyed the experience and the camaraderie of the PURELY country players - not Origin as it is now..and the blokes who were in both sides were VERY HONOURED and HAPPY to be selected from their Club, into Group sides, and into Divisional sides..and finally named for Country.
The games have lost significance to the struggling Club, because not one player - no matter how good a bush footballer he is - will get a game in this match.
I would like to see a Country team selected to line up against a representative team from the InTrust Cup - or a representative NYC team...as a selection trial for NSW Residents v QLD Residents....
The CRL should be promoting BUSH CLUBS and BUSH FOOTBALL...(that is in MY OPINION)..BOTH ARE STRUGGLING.....and need help..

Attachments

• City V Country 1981 001.jpg
    City V Country 1981 001.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 8

Bazal

Post Whore
Indulge me for a moment and imagine a world where Josh Dugan and Blake Ferguson aren't instalocks for NSW...how far off do you think Clinton Gutherson is from a call-up for the Blues?

There is no way he displaces Tedesco in the #1 but he can play anywhere from #1 through to #6 and I dare say he would be a great deal better on the wing now that he is fit and firing as compared to early 2016 when he was working his way back from injury. Queensland have made Michael Morgan a mainstay in the #14 for his ability to plug in through the backline as well as at lock and very occasionally to mini-spell Cameron Smith at hooker. Gutherson offers a similar level of versatility.

For me, Gutho is the kind of player who will probably play an Origin or two in his career but not be an instant pick. Rightly or wrongly I think more value is placed on other players. How often do you hear anyone in the professional RL world talk about Gutho being up there with the next big things?

I have no doubt he will be good enough but he doesn't have the perception around him that a Trbojebrah or a Bird or someone does and that seems to count for Origin selections. I can see him being the kind of guy that gets a call up when one of the bigger name stars is injured during a series though

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
For me, Gutho is the kind of player who will probably play an Origin or two in his career but not be an instant pick. Rightly or wrongly I think more value is placed on other players. How often do you hear anyone in the professional RL world talk about Gutho being up there with the next big things?

I have no doubt he will be good enough but he doesn't have the perception around him that a Trbojebrah or a Bird or someone does and that seems to count for Origin selections. I can see him being the kind of guy that gets a call up when one of the bigger name stars is injured during a series though
Even French is talked up as being a rising star. Gutherson is a solid and very versatile first grader, and will be for another decade. I also think Gutherson is more likely to play Origin than French, however French is more likely to win a Dally M.

Happy MEel

First Grade

In Guth's defence he has played fullback, wing, centre and 5/8 in his relatively short career so it is hard to establish yourself as a star in a particular position when you aren't playing there consistently. I agree with whomever suggested Guth as a utility in Origin, much like Morgan (the Michael variety, not the well-endowed variety).

Bazal

Post Whore
In Guth's defence he has played fullback, wing, centre and 5/8 in his relatively short career so it is hard to establish yourself as a star in a particular position when you aren't playing there consistently. I agree with whomever suggested Guth as a utility in Origin, much like Morgan (the Michael variety, not the well-endowed variety).

It's not an indictment on Gutho, I just don't think it would matter because he doesn't have the hype of other young players...IMO the "name" players will get picked over him, just like Dugan and Ferguson get picked over better players at the moment (for eg).

I can already see the hard on for guys like Trbojebrah and Bird and the like, Gutho gets nowhere near as much love (unfairly) as the next crop of NRL darlings so IMO will always be (again, unfairly) considered after them IMO.

He'll be good enough to be an Origin player, don't get me wrong. I just think there is definitely an element of popularity amongst the hierarchy when it comes to final rep side selections.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's not an indictment on Gutho, I just don't think it would matter because he doesn't have the hype of other young players...IMO the "name" players will get picked over him, just like Dugan and Ferguson get picked over better players at the moment (for eg).

I can already see the hard on for guys like Trbojebrah and Bird and the like, Gutho gets nowhere near as much love (unfairly) as the next crop of NRL darlings so IMO will always be (again, unfairly) considered after them IMO.

He'll be good enough to be an Origin player, don't get me wrong. I just think there is definitely an element of popularity amongst the hierarchy when it comes to final rep side selections.
Don't forget Gutherson is only 22 (23 in September). The only current Origin players younger than him are Bird (by 6 months) and Oates (one month).

eels_fan

First Grade
Ma'u not chosen by the kiwis

They did however pick a Melbourne forward who has never played first grade...

Oh well, sucks for Manu but one less chance of an injury I guess

Chipmunk

Coach
Ma'u not chosen by the kiwis

They did however pick a Melbourne forward who has never played first grade...

Oh well, sucks for Manu but one less chance of an injury I guess

They obviously see Kenny Bromwich as the better left edge backrower.