What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

84 Baby

Referee
I think the difference between left and right wing is a lot bigger than the difference between left and right edge forwards. Wingers are far more likely to beat some merkin with a step or a fend, which is dependent on which side of the field they're on. This is far less common for edge forwards.
Merkins only notice the flashy plays. Manu’s ability to get outside his opponent opens the space for Semi to step and fend his

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But Ma’u can use the same footwork on the other side of the field to step inside a defender. On the wing you’re rarely using footwork to get outside the defence. You’re already outside them if you’re going to beat them on the outside. If you’re using footwork it’s nearly always to step back inside.

84 Baby

Referee
How often do wingers create line breaks by stepping back infield? My guess is next to never, or at least when they do it's crashing over for a try when really they could do that realistically at any length of the tryline, notwithstanding but not necessarily bigger/better defenders.
Anyway how a player steps inside or whatever is beside the point. Merkins can play either side of the field, it isn't more or less important if they have left or right tendencies (or let's call them Gronk or HJ tendencies) how wide merkins are, it comes down to team tactics. Which combo of players are going to get me the best net result. People were arguing Moneyball on here months ago, this is about as close as it comes.
Simply put are you going to play you're fifth best winger just because he's the only leftside winger you've got?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You will if he’s better on the left than your fourth best winger.

I also don’t think it’s as granular as ranking every winger from 1 to n. More that they will be in bands (and maybe only two of those) - categorised as something like guaranteed top 17 / competing for a top 17 spot / only a backup.

84 Baby

Referee
Sure if you're required to go that deep but are you going to play him ahead of your second best winger?
And so you don't manipulate the question, let's say your second best winger is Semi who for some reason really really prefers playing on the right and your fifth best winger is current day Eric Grothe Snr

84 Baby

Referee
I also don’t think it’s as granular as ranking every winger from 1 to n. More that they will be in bands (and maybe only two of those) - categorised as something like guaranteed top 17 / competing for a top 17 spot / only a backup.
This was in relation to your argument that wingers side preferential is more important than everyone infield, so you would band your leftside and rightside wingers separately?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You are confusing a quantitative comparison with qualitative.

It’s not a matter of only pegging wingers as left side or right side, while throwing edge forwards into a morass of side-agnosticism.

84 Baby

Referee
You are confusing a quantitative comparison with qualitative.

It’s not a matter of only pegging wingers as left side or right side, while throwing edge forwards into a morass of side-agnosticism.
There's no confusion over quantitative/qualitative. We both agreed that edge players have particular side based skills. You were the one arguing that there's an increase in need the wider you get and then we agreed (except your agreement was saying it was a stupid question) that coaches are going to pick the best available and pick sides of field from there.
Your only argument for wingers having a higher importance was that they can step/fend to beat an opponent... like every other player on the field

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Your only argument for wingers having a higher importance was that they can step/fend to beat an opponent... like every other player on the field
Here is where you are confusing qualitative with quantitative comparison. Of course any player can use skills with a particular ‘sidedness’ (fending, stepping, tackling with a particular shoulder, etc). My argument is that these skills are used more frequently to only one side, the closer a given merkin gets to the sideline.

84 Baby

Referee
Here is where you are confusing qualitative with quantitative comparison. Of course any player can use skills with a particular ‘sidedness’ (fending, stepping, tackling with a particular shoulder, etc). My argument is that these skills are used more frequently to only one side, the closer a given merkin gets to the sideline.
But that doesn’t lead to it being more important for wingers. It just means their weak side is less useful. It gives you some diversity further in but you still want those skill sidedness otherwise you’ll be as useless as the left winger playing on the right

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But that doesn’t lead to it being more important for wingers. It just means their weak side is less useful.
That their weak side is less useful the closer they get to the sideline (edge forward -> centre -> wing) was exactly what I said. This is why a winger loses more playing on his non-preferred side than a centre, who loses more than a second rower.

84 Baby

Referee
That their weak side is less useful the closer they get to the sideline (edge forward -> centre -> wing) was exactly what I said. This is why a winger loses more playing on his non-preferred side than a centre, who loses more than a second rower.
If your left 2nd rower can’t pass to his left is pretty useless. If you got to swap a winger the merkin can still step and fend someone. It’s more like there’s a minimum requirement for the positions and they’re of equal importance after that you look to who playing where is going to perform the best

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If your left 2nd rower can’t pass to his left is pretty useless.
Once again your comments (“can’t pass”) show you are stuck looking at this from a quantitave viewpoint. Every player can pass both sides, carry/fend both sides, tackle both sides. The question is how well he does it on one side compared to the other, and how much it matters at his position.
If you got to swap a winger the merkin can still step and fend someone. It’s more like there’s a minimum requirement for the positions and they’re of equal importance after that you look to who playing where is going to perform the best
Every middle forward can carry the ball in one arm and fend with the other too, but in the middle of the field it doesn’t matter which one he uses. But out near the sideline you better believe a player will be more effective fending with the arm closest to the middle of the field.

84 Baby

Referee
Once again your comments (“can’t pass”) show you are stuck looking at this from a quantitave viewpoint. Every player can pass both sides, carry/fend both sides, tackle both sides. The question is how well he does it on one side compared to the other, and how much it matters at his position.
Every middle forward can carry the ball in one arm and fend with the other too, but in the middle of the field it doesn’t matter which one he uses. But out near the sideline you better believe a player will be more effective fending with the arm closest to the middle of the field.
I agree with all of it but it still doesn’t mean it’s more important on the wing

Gronk

Staff member
KENNY EDWARDS –

I have an image problem. There is no two ways about it.

Those who follow our great game tend to already have a perception about me – even if they haven’t met me.

Their opinions are formed from what they have seen and heard through their television screens, or read in the newspapers.

I’ll be the first to admit I’m nowhere near perfect – I’ve made more than my fair share of mistakes, both on and off the field, and my journeyman career reflects that.

The numerous headlines I have created throughout my time in the NRL, has largely influenced those external perceptions about me.

And I’ve always maintained that no one else has ever been responsible for my actions – I’ve only had myself to blame when I’ve put myself at the centre of public scrutiny.

But I’m at a point in my life now where all I want to be is a positive influence – and not even just for myself but more for my kids, family and the wider community I represent and who see me as a role model.

Kenny.png
Of course, words count for nothing, and only I can change those perceptions through continuous hard work and actions. No one else.

My reputation has been at the forefront of my mind for the past six months following my most recent indiscretion in the NRL – which brought embarrassment and negative press attention to my family and I.

It’s those days where I can understand how fans, who simply pick up a newspaper, can forge an unfavourable opinion of me, despite never meeting me or knowing the kind of person I am.

It’s something my coach Brad Arthur and I have spoken at length about; it even became a focal point during my end-of-season exit review.

I emphasised to him that I want to stand for something; someone my teammates want to play with and for, and an individual all of our game’s stakeholders can respect and appreciate.

My daughter is six and she can read now – if she walks past a shop and sees her father on the back of the newspaper for some negative stuff, I know it’d break her heart. So I’ve got to clean up my act.

I’m certain that my discipline was a key factor as to why I was not considered for New Zealand for this year’s Rugby League World Cup team – that was a massive wake-up call.

A few years ago, the omission wouldn’t have even troubled me.

But I’m grown, and want so much for myself now.

KennyEd.png
In saying that, I never want to forget my past or where I’ve come from, as it has shaped who I am.

But that person who I use to be, isn’t me anymore.

From here on, what’s happened in the past I want to keep it there – learn from it, but be able to lead in a more positive direction.

I’m 28, and I know that my time in the NRL is now closer to the finishing line than the starting post.

So I have to make the most of every opportunity.

Those who are familiar with my story will know that it has been a mammoth achievement just to still be standing here.

For a long time, I did not know what “feeling safe” meant.

I did a massive article with the Daily Telegraph last year about my family upbringing.

I remember there were times as a kid, we would go weeks on end with nothing in the kitchen pantry.

I would steal food from school for my little brother and I, just so we didn’t go to bed feeling hungry.

My dad was abusive, and used to beat my mum all the time – I hated him all my life, and blamed him for a lot of things that happened in my life.

I have only recently begun talking to him – but our relationship will never be the same. I have forgiven him, but he knows he can’t change what he has done in the past.

That’s why I am so passionate about working with troubled youth – because I know what it is like to be their shoes.

I was the same troubled kid, who did not want to go home at day’s end.

So it’s important for me to be that voice that they can turn to if they ever need someone to listen to their pain.

GettyImages-838299102.jpg

BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA – AUGUST 24: Kenny Edwards of the Eels celebrates victory with fans after the round 25 NRL match between the Brisbane Broncos and the Parramatta Eels at Suncorp Stadium on August 24, 2017 in Brisbane, Australia. (Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images)

It’s shaped how I want to raise my own children – as well as my daughter, I have a three-year-old son and they’re my everything.

It’s hard with myself and their mother breaking up, but I never wanted to be someone that was away from their kids because my own father did that to me at an early age and I hated it.

And while it’s been unfortunate that my relationship with their mum did not work out, we still remain really good friends and I head back to see them on the Gold Coast every second weekend.

It’s good to know that I can play such a positive role in their life – now it’s about extending those same positive actions into my football.

If you or someone you know is impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence and abuse, call 1800 RESPECT (737 732). Call 000 in an emergency.

https://www.exclusiveinsight.com/person-in-the-mirror-kenny-edwards/

Latest posts