What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Stagger eel

Staff member
Not sure how as a club we handled it to be honest I think most clubs have been hurt by it apart from the Panthers who had a crap load of juniors coming through Prior to covid hitting which I believe helped their success. As other clubs were on a bit of a stand still during that 2 year period.

we may get a clearer picture if we ask David Hollis and Sam Hughes how was it handled?

Thanks MITS.
Overall, how well do you think our pathways for NRL is looking? What would you rate it out of say /10?
Are we likely to start seeing some of these players push for NRL in '25?
Sorry I missed this.

Do you mean Junior Reps or the year long lower grades ?

Junior Reps, 7/10 we could be stronger and I wonder when the killer instinct needs to be instilled into the players.

Lower Grades ATM 5/10 we are fielding teams and getting young men ready for future football but this year might be a write off in terms of chasing glory, scarified for preparing these kids for a real tilt in a years time.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
while you're on fire @MarkInTheStands can you or someone please explain to me how we have Sam Tuavati contracted to a T30 spot next season but has yet to play a single game against men?

even if his agent got one over us ( gee that's never happened before has it) why wouldn't we throw the kid a bech spot at least to prep him for the future? instead we throw a wenty contracted player like Alderton ahead of him.

well this is his third year and i dare say, last year at Flegg so he's been in our system for quite sometime.

if MON had anyting to do with this than I expect him to be running out at Ringrose next season like the other middle forward we currently have there.

He was only in Matt’s 2 years ago. He is 1 or 2 years younger than the rest of our promising forward (Guymer, Brazel, Parker, Pryke).

The kid is only 19 this year. And was a “star” last playing ball (at 18). Then pushed into Flegg, which is pretty rare for an 18 year old prop. Even this year, I reckon he wouId be one of the few props playing flegg at only 19 especially this early in the year.

Based on his current performance I don’t think it wouId be uncommon for player with his resume to get a top 30 spot at 20. Dare say it’s the market rate. He is pretty much one of best props in his age group. And there were rumours of other clubs chasing him!

additionally there is no rush to push him into NSW cup. Prop is a pretty tough position especially for a 19 year old in NSW cup. How many are currently playing cup?

He was only in Matt’s 2 years ago. He is 1 or 2 years younger than the rest of our promising forward (Guymer, Brazel, Parker, Pryke).

The kid is only 19 this year. And was a “star” last playing ball (at 18). Then pushed into Flegg, which is pretty rare for an 18 year old prop. Even this year, I reckon he wouId be one of the few props playing flegg at only 19 especially this early in the year.

Based on his current performance I don’t think it wouId be uncommon for player with his resume to get a top 30 spot at 20. Dare say it’s the market rate. He is pretty much one of best props in his age group. And there were rumours of other clubs chasing him!

additionally there is no rush to push him into NSW cup. Prop is a pretty tough position especially for a 19 year old in NSW cup. How many are currently playing cup?

4. Blaize Talagi > NRL and NSWCup
7. Ethan Sanders > NSWCup and NRL
9. Matt Arthur > NSWCup
12. Charlie Guymer > NSWCup

the point? Only 1 is a forward, Guymer. And he is a year older the Sam.

while backs develop quicker. Additionally Sanders is also a year older than Sam. And he played no NSW cup at 19.
None really, you asked how many 19 years olds were playing Cup.

If you meant how many 19 year old props are playing Cup, I have no Idea but none at Parra

yy_cheng

Coach
Well mate I haven't seen a great deal of him this year, but I am planning on a trip to Manly on Saturday to take a look see and I will put him on my watch list.

But if I was to take a guess I would say that is something to do with MON wouldn't it ?
Will you be on the hill?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
while you're on fire @MarkInTheStands can you or someone please explain to me how we have Sam Tuavati contracted to a T30 spot next season but has yet to play a single game against men?
He is very young for a front rower. He could still be in SG Ball this year. So while he might have massive potential that doesn’t mean it would be good to fast track him the way we’ve done for some young spine players.

As for why he’s top thirty next year, that’s something you sometimes need to do to keep an in-demand youngster.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I hear this arguement alot but how is it any different to any other NRL club in the game? what did they do during the pandemic that was different to us?
Junior development requires ongoing junior recruitment. This costs money. And while a lot of rich people got richer during Covid, including many NRL club owners and sponsors, our owner (the PLC) lost a lot of money. Football spending halved in 2020 and didn’t recover from 2019 levels until 2022. That’s a couple of years out of the young player market.

I remember listening to a Joey Grima interview during that time where he mentioned it being the first year since his involvement with the club where the entire Harold Matts squad was made up of local boys. I was horrified.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not sure how as a club we handled it to be honest I think most clubs have been hurt by it apart from the Panthers who had a crap load of juniors coming through Prior to covid hitting which I believe helped their success. As other clubs were on a bit of a stand still during that 2 year period.
Exactly. Merkins talking like we’ve got the worst pathways in the NRL to go along with the worst NRL side. We are running last in two grades that don’t matter, being reserve grade and Flegg. First grade is mid table and SG Ball made the finals.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

FFS!!!!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
4. Blaize Talagi > NRL and NSWCup
7. Ethan Sanders > NSWCup and NRL
9. Matt Arthur > NSWCup
12. Charlie Guymer > NSWCup
Sanders and Guymer are both a year older than Tuivati and certainly weren’t playing reserve grade this time last year. Also not required to run at set defensive lines.

Latest posts