What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England v The Allies?

Vee

First Grade
Excuse my ignorance of ESL but I know they used to have these games a few years ago. How did they go? Did they serve any useful purpose? Are they still going on? If not, why not?

My interest is in the development of the fringe GBers - the Irish, Scots and Welsh. I imagine most of their GB-based players are in the lower grades, would they benefit from exposure to a higher level on a regular basis, perhaps alongside the usual collections of 2nd class Aussies and Kiwis that dominate over there? And would it help England develop their side against better opposition than the French?

Evil Homer

Staff member
The team was called the Exiles not the Allies, and no is the answer to everything else in your post.

DlEHARD

Juniors
Rugby League really needs to learn to stick things out, or less and less media, corporates and fans will buy into any idea we have.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Rugby League really needs to learn to stick things out, or less and less media, corporates and fans will buy into any idea we have.

9s only lasted like 4 years before it was put "on hold", AllStars is probably on the way out and im sure there will be no internationals until the next WC is 9 years time.

If Origin began today, i reckon it wouldnt even last to game 3.

The problem is that the Clubs just dont want competition for RL supremacy (Melbourne would rather play a meaningless trial against NZ than take the WCC seriously). We need to break the clubs strangle hold over the game before the game is strangled...

Springs09

Juniors
9s only lasted like 4 years before it was put "on hold", AllStars is probably on the way out and im sure there will be no internationals until the next WC is 9 years time.

If Origin began today, i reckon it wouldnt even last to game 3.

The problem is that the Clubs just dont want competition for RL supremacy (Melbourne would rather play a meaningless trial against NZ than take the WCC seriously). We need to break the clubs strangle hold over the game before the game is strangled...

The 9s and the All-Stars going is the right choice. They are pointless domestic games that aren't supported. 9s can be replaced by the World 9s (as long as it's not in place of any full internationals) or World Club 9s and while the Indigenous team is great the World All-Randoms is the worst team in the entire world.

Your last paragraph is right though.

roughyedspud

Coach
The Auckland 9s problem,and they suffered exactly the same problem with the Wellington 7s...is that it stagnated because it was held at the same venue year after year..

Pick 4-5 cities and rotate it...it's not rocket science

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I didn't mind the exiles as it gave England a solid professional hit out each year. With England seemingly (and rightly) taking up the option of playing New Zealand during the rep window each year, I think France could do worse than play the Exiles each year.

roughyedspud

Coach
Half the reason we ended up playing the exiles in the first place was cos the French didn't want to play us mid season anymore

Latest posts