What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

English lower leagues

langpark

First Grade
Some real positives for the game in the Championship and League 1 today!

- Newcastle Thunder (formerly Gateshead) winning their first league match (under the new name) in front of a crowd of 1,522! I've been following them closely over the last few years, last year they were often struggling to get 250 to a match. They've been doing a lot of work in the community and connecting with their junior and amateur local clubs in the North-East and the hard work really seems to be paying off! Of course, they won't maintain this figure throughout the season, but even half of that figure probably means that they've tripled their attendances compared to last year! Of course, their biggest crowd of the season will no doubt come when they play at home on the Friday night before Newcastle Magic. They're in for a big season, that's for sure!

- Coventry Bears played their first ever League match and won in front of 721 fans. Again, I highly doubt they will maintain this figure throughout the season, but it's a great start and even half that figure would be a decent season average for them.

...and finally, there was no crowd under 1000 in the Championship today, for a change. The public holiday and the scheduling of several derby matches definitely had something to do with that.

All in all, a great day for the game in England.

roughyedspud

Coach
How do the crowds compare to the nsw & qld cups??

Oldham drew 250-300 to a couple of the league one cup games a few weeks ago,our lowest attendances ever, which has kinda prompted emergency talks between fans and the chairman...

I'm involved,nautrally,i'll keep you lot informed...

langpark

First Grade
How do the crowds compare to the nsw & qld cups??

Oldham drew 250-300 to a couple of the league one cup games a few weeks ago,our lowest attendances ever, which has kinda prompted emergency talks between fans and the chairman...

I'm involved,nautrally,i'll keep you lot informed...
Please do Spud. Are they also a fan-owned club? Like Rochdale and Swinton?

roughyedspud

Coach
No...thats what im aiming for though....apparently "rugby oldham",our supporters trust is one of the largest RL trusts in the uk....yet they have know say in ORLFC what so ever..

Its my aim to convince chris hamilton,ORLFC owner,sole board member and chief,cook & bottle washer...to give the supporters trust a percentage of the club with a view to buying the club...

CC_Roosters

First Grade
No...thats what im aiming for though....apparently "rugby oldham",our supporters trust is one of the largest RL trusts in the uk....yet they have know say in ORLFC what so ever..

Its my aim to convince chris hamilton,ORLFC owner,sole board member and chief,cook & bottle washer...to give the supporters trust a percentage of the club with a view to buying the club...

Nice deeby win for oldham on good friday they might go ok this year?

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Spud why did they leave boundary park? Is it the football clubs ground or a council owned ground?

roughyedspud

Coach
We own a ploughed field in the wrong part of town and theres still confusion about what part of the site we actually "own"...we where given a lemon basically..

As for boundary park,the football club didn't want us playing there anymore...and the chances of us playing there again are zero until we pay £40,000 we own in back rent...

Its a absolute basket case of a club at the moment..its safe to say we aren't even the biggest RL club in oldham anymore...waterhead,saddleworth & st annes amature clubs are all bigger & better run than a club that where founder members of super league...20 years ago this month we where playing in a challenge cup semi final...:(

CC_Roosters

First Grade
We own a ploughed field in the wrong part of town and theres still confusion about what part of the site we actually "own"...we where given a lemon basically..

As for boundary park,the football club didn't want us playing there anymore...and the chances of us playing there again are zero until we pay £40,000 we own in back rent...

Its a absolute basket case of a club at the moment..its safe to say we aren't even the biggest RL club in oldham anymore...waterhead,saddleworth & st annes amature clubs are all bigger & better run than a club that where founder members of super league...20 years ago this month we where playing in a challenge cup semi final...:(

Do you see any sort of bright future for the club? What would it take to turn it around in the short term

roughyedspud

Coach
We have to remove the owner and become owned by the fans trust..with a 5 year plan to be back up with the likes of leigh,featherstone,halifax etc...thats our nautral position...not where we are playing infront of 250..

Last edited:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
We have to remove the owner and become owned by the fans trust..with a 5 year plan to be back up with the likes of leigh,featherstone,halifax etc...thats our nautral position...not where we are playing infront of 250..

So the owner is fairly determined to not relinquish the club or is the fan movement in its early stages still?

roughyedspud

Coach
Rugby oldham,the fans trust, is nigh on 10 years old..

And the Owner,chris hamilton, has said several times he want to "sell" the club..

The problem is the club is worthless...but he wants about $500,000 for it,which scares all investors off

Last edited:

CC_Roosters

First Grade

And the Owner,chris hamilton, has said several times he want to "sell" the club..

The problem is the club is worthless...but he wants about $500,000 for it,which scares all investors off

A pity, keep us posted on any news/changes

roughyedspud

Coach
My plan,which not everyone agrees with is to convince hamilton to "gift" the trust less than 49% of the club with a agreement to buy the remaining 51% over time...

Others want to wait for the club to go out of business and then we pick up the pieces...

I dunno...only time will tell

langpark

First Grade

Just curious, is that pounds or AUD?

RedVee

First Grade

Hi Spud,

Do you have a link to something that explains the makeup of the Rugby Oldham fans trust?

Cheers