What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

Bubbles

Juniors
I have read a lot of crap on this forum as well as other RL sites and I have HAD ENOUGH! While most of you guys on this forum concede that it was wrong and disgraceful what Gasnier has done, some of you should be ashamed of yourselves, one in particular (not sure I can name this 'person', so I better not, but if you read through the thread on Gasnier, I'm sure you'll know who I'm talking about :evil: ) - pig of a human being!.

When are you all going to get it that this sort of crap is not acceptable? There has been so much talk about how the community of Rugby League needs to have a look at itself and fix its attitudes - NEWSFLASH, this and other forums are part of a community also, and some of the comments that have been made about women here are utterly disgraceful. This is not a mens only forum, women come here too and we shouldn't have to be submitted to some of these neanderthals - pull your heads in!

As for what Gasnier said, anybody who thinks that there was nothing in it and its all fine and dandy, then you seriously need to take a good look at yourselves. It was crass, filthy and totally offensive. Contrary to some people's opinion, 90% of women find the "c" word really offensive, so that in itself was bad enough - add to that the rest of it and its enough to turn the stomach.

I have no problems with whatever two consenting adults want to do with each other, but obviously this girl did not want this and it should just be left at that, it just seems that whenever there has been a scandal involving a woman, there are a few people here that automatically have some seriously stupid and offensive things to say about her.

Once again, PULL YOUR HEADS IN and get it through your skulls that we are all part of the Rugby League community and while using this and other forums, are all representative of it, just as the players are.

:clap: I too find some of the things that have been said about this Lady offensive and I applaud Bubbles for explaining how we female league supporters feel when we read this type of thing.

Eels Dude

Coach
Great post and some very good points. If only only it could reach a broader audience as well as some of the players themselves. It's clear that some of the acts done are not defensible, Gasnier admitted he made a mistake and others should aknowledge that. It's equally bad in such cases to defend players when we know nothing of the situation, such as in the Canterbury case.

Bubbles said:
I have read a lot of crap on this forum as well as other RL sites and I have HAD ENOUGH! While most of you guys on this forum concede that it was wrong and disgraceful what Gasnier has done, some of you should be ashamed of yourselves, one in particular (not sure I can name this 'person', so I better not, but if you read through the thread on Gasnier, I'm sure you'll know who I'm talking about :evil: ) - pig of a human being!.
As for what Gasnier said, anybody who thinks that there was nothing in it and its all fine and dandy, then you seriously need to take a good look at yourselves. It was crass, filthy and totally offensive. Contrary to some people's opinion, 90% of women find the "c" word really offensive, so that in itself was bad enough - add to that the rest of it and its enough to turn the stomach.
I agree with the others, well said. Regarding the comments in the other thread, I reckon you'd find most people who read them just couldn't be bothered wasting time dignifying them with a response. Some people's mysoginistic attitudes are unchangable... see Willie Mason.

antonius

Coach
Well said Bubbles, I agree with all you've said. People who think it was a harmless prank should think how they'd feel if it was their mother,sister, girlfriend who'd recieved the message, if they still think it's ok well I guess we're are looking at the society of the future ( how sad is that?) Nobody deserves to be subjected to that sort of filth.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
This probably won't be agreed with, but I think I'd go as far to say that this should be a global sticky here or something.

Very well said, we need to see the ENTIRE RL community working together, including us here at the FRF.

Anonymous

Juniors
Global sticky? I dont think so.

While I agree that Bubbles has a right to opinion, I don't agree with the moralising on other people's opinions. Just about everyone agrees that the phone call was a stupid and insensitive action... even Mark Gasnier thinks so. But it was a one-off incident for the kid and he shouldnt be crucified for it.

In a world where greater crimes are committed by the hour, and receive little attention, I think being outraged by an offensive phone message can only go so far.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Yes i agree with you Willow.

I hope Gasnier can get over this and just get on with his football.

Bubbles

Juniors
Willow and PK, I think you're really missing the point of what I was saying by focusing on one small part. This post is about how a certain minority of posters on this forum have themselves displayed a disgraceful attitude towards women and that we all have to realise that every single person who contributes to a public forum is a representative of this game that we all profess to love - pure and simple.

My comments about Gasnier pertain only to the message he left, which I'm sorry, was an unacceptable one to leave on a woman's phone, backed up by the fact that it is considered a form of sexual harassment.

I made no comment about what I thought of the punishment that he copped. For the record, I hope that he does show his character and get through this and get back onto the paddock for the Saints and I think he's unfortunately now the face that all the media and football public has been waiting to point a finger at, but was not forthcoming from the Bulldogs situation. Unfair, yes no doubt. But bottom line is, he did wrong.

Anonymous

Juniors
Bubbles said:
Willow and PK, I think you're really missing the point of what I was saying by focusing on one small part. This post is about how a certain minority of posters on this forum have themselves displayed a disgraceful attitude towards women and that we all have to realise that every single person who contributes to a public forum is a representative of this game that we all profess to love - pure and simple.
whoa. For a start, people who make contributions on this forum are doing so from behind their keyboards. Its only the internet afterall. I agree with you that some posters are throwbacks to neanderthals but lets not kid ourselves to thinking that every single one of them "is representative of this game."

Bubbles said:
My comments about Gasnier pertain only to the message he left, which I'm sorry, was an unacceptable one to leave on a woman's phone, backed up by the fact that it is considered a form of sexual harassment.
No argument there and he is paying the price for his drunken stupidity. He owned up to it though.
Interesting news tonight that Minichiello is appealing his punishment even though he broke the rules by having a mobile phone in camp.
Bubbles said:
I made no comment about what I thought of the punishment that he copped. For the record, I hope that he does show his character and get through this and get back onto the paddock for the Saints and I think he's unfortunately now the face that all the media and football public has been waiting to point a finger at, but was not forthcoming from the Bulldogs situation. Unfair, yes no doubt. But bottom line is, he did wrong.
I'm not disputing that either. But lets not blow it out of proportion. As I said, worst things happen every day and the world is unforgiving place, or a forgiving place, depending on the climate.

dice

Juniors
Willow,

What do you think about Mini getting sacked for having a phone? It's not like they (ARL) didn't know this yesterday.

dice

Juniors
No doubts there was more to it than that. I just think it is poor form for the ARL to say Mini was sacked for carrying a phone.

Mini's appeal might force the ARL to spill the beans.

Anonymous

Juniors
I'm sure more will come out regardless. But Minichiello broke the rules by having a mobile phone. This much we know.

Crusader

Bench
I watched this on a current affair last night, do we know for sure the comments were intended for a female recipient?
I could be way off base here but having known a few army guys it sounded like he had got a wrong number and was hassling a team-mate to get up and come out???
Obviously the part about the four sexed up guys portrayed a terrible attitude towards women, no argument there but if she wasn't meant to receive that call???
If you've read any of my posts you would find no stronger argument for the general attitudes in male dominated environments (not necessarily just sports) to change but this is starting to look a bit like an NRL witch hunt.
I have always been first and foremost a Union supporter but I do enjoy league as well and I really feel for the fans out there.

ozbash

Referee
hats off to the dragons and particularly doust. :clap:
they acted decisivley and for the good of the club and the game in general.

it makes me laugh some of the absolute desparate dipshits on this board who use these forums to score points against rival clubs.

the club never dialed the woman. a club member did and this club has acted appropriatly.

hope noad noted the dragons positive attitude for future reference. :clap: :clap:

*Sandy*

First Grade
Bubbles,

I don't believe I've missed any point and have not focused on one small part.

I chose to agree with what Willow wrote and I chose to write only about how I hope Gasnier can rise from this in this topic.

I agree that what has happened is unacceptable.

I agree with only some of the action that has been taken thus far.

I agree everyone has an opinion.

I also find a lot of what has been reported through various avenues are conflicting
and confusing.

On what others have had to say ... what can you do .... it's not like we can beat them all with a stick! :D

Did that cover everything now? ;-)

Anonymous

Juniors
eternaltreblinka said:
Willow said:
No argument there and he is paying the price for his drunken stupidity. He owned up to it though.
He hardly had to to - Deaf Freddy could've heard that was Gasnier on the message.
In its full context, I meant, and said, that even Gasnier believes it was a stupid and insenstitive thing to do. Anyone who thinks it was acceptable behaviour is kidding themselves.

If you saw his face when he was facing the music, it was clear that he was humiliated. Whether or not his humiliation is greater than the woman's humiliation is unknown.
The statement he read was full of remorse and apology to the woman who received the phone message, and to his partner. The club has come down on him like a ton of bricks and and he has been dumped from playing for NSW at the game's highest level.

Imo, he has copped ample punishment and I don't think he'll ever make another phone call like that again.
Nevertheless, the point is that somewhere along the way, we have to move on.