What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eurovision, is Australia really taking this thing seriously?

DC80

Juniors
Just watched the Aussie entry make it through to the final. The girl singing looks genuinely overwhelmed by the whole thing, plus there seems to be actual effort put into the song.

In the UK we are used to watching mainland Europeans take this glorified karaoke competition seriously, surely Australia hasn’t joined them? Are Aussies aware of what a farce this thing is? Do many watch it?

For a UK act Eurovision is a career killer. There are two kinds who represent the UK, artists who are hopeless (failed X Factor contestants) and will never make it, or acts that are over the hill (Bonnie Tyler, Engelbert Humperdinck) and have nothing to lose.

You have to go back to ABBA and Waterloo (1974) the last time the event had any kudos. An association with Eurovision in the current era is an admittance your career is going nowhere.

Typical standard of a UK entry, this one laden with innuendo...”Would you like some nuts sir”, “blow into the mouthpiece”, “would you like something to suck on for landing sir” (wink)

Last edited:

saint.nick

Coach
I dont f**king understand why we are even in this competition. It is the equivalent to a tranny girl playing in a womens sporting competition.

jargan83

Coach
I dont f**king understand why we are even in this competition. It is the equivalent to a tranny girl playing in a womens sporting competition.

Apparently it rates well in Australia and that’s why we get a run in the competition.

DC80

Juniors
Was it that hard to look up who she is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Mauboy

It will explain a lot.
The old tried and trusted former singing talent contestant, she’s actually pretty good though. Aussies are putting forward bonifide acts into this and are making a real effort.

Apparently it rates well in Australia and that’s why we get a run in the competition.
Amazed given it’s on at night here, so very early morning there...unless delayed coverage gets an audience.

Ireland got sick of winning (its expensive for the winners to host) so started putting out gems like this.

DC80

Juniors
Just seen this on the Aussie entrant, and the BBC (which is showing this contest) sums it up:

“So, with such an illustrious career, why did she decide to enter the Eurovision song contest?”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43885596

When even the broadcaster of an event questions why a contestant is entering it, it says a lot about the event.

This girl is far too talented to be in this.

LESStar58

Referee
This is a country with an unhealthy obsession with The Voice and commercial radio. Of course people take it seriously.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I've just gone through the list of the 61 past Eurovision Song winners and I can honestly say only eight are recognisable for their musical "achievements".

Sandie Shaw
Lulu
Vicky Leandros
ABBA
Brotherhood Of Man
Bucks Fizz
Celine Dion
Katrina and The Waves

I didn't include Conchita Wurst as it was there only for the freak show factor.

I really don't know why Australia is participating when it's not a part of Europe. Same can be said for Israel and Morocco.

DC80

Juniors
I've just gone through the list of the 61 past Eurovision Song winners and I can honestly say only eight are recognisable for their musical "achievements".

Sandie Shaw
Lulu
Vicky Leandros
ABBA
Brotherhood Of Man
Bucks Fizz
Celine Dion
Katrina and The Waves

I didn't include Conchita Wurst as it was there only for the freak show factor.

I really don't know why Australia is participating when it's not a part of Europe. Same can be said for Israel and Morocco.
Early days it had some merit as a contest so there are some genuine names there (Cliff Richard appeared twice I think)..the last three decades it’s basically been a joke. Terry Wogan’s hilarious commentary on it was brilliant which made it must see tv. Asked about the show on Michael Parkinson he said, “once the penny drops in Europe (mainland) that this is complete and utter [he said something derogatory but couldn’t hear what it was due to the audience laughing], it’s over”. The Swedes in particular are deadly serious about it and have a good record as a result. Biggest rated show of the year there I believe.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I remember back in 1974 Olivia Newton John having a hissy fit when the UK public voted on which song she was to perform which was Long Live Love, when someone wished her luck she retorted with that she would need more than luck to win with such a lousy song.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Because we have small man syndrome when it has anything to do with the international stage.

DC80

Juniors
All the winners up to 2016.

Just listened to all of that. It’s worse than I remembered. Bar Waterloo, Celine Dion’s vocal ability in ‘88, and the ‘97 winner, it’s a shocking list. Not hard to see why most have never been heard of again.

King Ben

Juniors
In the UK we are used to watching mainland Europeans take this glorified karaoke competition seriously, surely Australia hasn’t joined them? Are Aussies aware of what a farce this thing is? Do many watch it?

Unfortunately it was considered a farce up until it was decided we should enter the thing. While it was a fun novelty the first year (I even travelled to Austria for the fun of it), now I've lost interest - we're supposed to be taking the piss out of it.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Just listened to all of that. It’s worse than I remembered. Bar Waterloo, Celine Dion’s vocal ability in ‘88, and the ‘97 winner, it’s a shocking list. Not hard to see why most have never been heard of again.

I have to admit I couldn’t stand Making Your Mind Up by Bucks Fizz when it was released in 1981 but was at dance party one night and they played it and ever since then I quite liked it.
I flicked through my iPod and I have 6 songs which made the Eurovision finals over the years.
Waterloo- ABBA ( winner)
Making Your Mind Up- Bucks Fizz( winner)
Jack In A Box -Clodagh Rodgers (4th)
Long Live Love- Olivia Newton John (4th)
Beg Steal or Borrow- The New Seekers (2nd)
Congratulations- Cliff Richards (2nd)