What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expanding the NRL through Promotion and Relegation

docbrown

Coach
This all depends on how the 2nd divions is promoted and marketed. As for playing against Newtown they woudnt be a part of the second division. The 8 new teams to the system would be expansion franchises in places such as Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane 2 etc. Again this comes back to how the comp is marketed, they would not be dropped to NSW/QLD Cup. It would be a well run NRL 2 type comp.

I know that there is some talk from A-League fans about this but I think they're trying to emulate something which works overseas after a long history but has no established basis for support in this country. If the Wanderers were relegated they'd probably be as well supported as the old NSL clubs are now. Sure, the NRL is a more supported sport but when teams like Roosters, Canberra etc just hover over 10k, it's going to cut their crowds massively. Despite what you might think they will be perceived by an Australian public with little to no appreciation or even understanding of promotion and relegation in the same manner as the current state comp sides.

docbrown

Coach
Also if this relegation B-league existed, what impact would it have on the NSW & QLD cup teams?

They would become 3rd tier teams. The B-league would probably take their best players. Would their fans maintain their interest in those clubs?

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
I know that there is some talk from A-League fans about this but I think they're trying to emulate something which works overseas after a long history but has no established basis for support in this country. If the Wanderers were relegated they'd probably be as well supported as the old NSL clubs are now. Sure, the NRL is a more supported sport but when teams like Roosters, Canberra etc just hover over 10k, it's going to cut their crowds massively. Despite what you might think they will be perceived by an Australian public with little to no appreciation or even understanding of promotion and relegation in the same manner as the current state comp sides.

I definitely understand where your coming from. There is no doubt promotion and relegation is an unknown in Australia. However imo that doesn't mean it would not work. Your points on the Raiders and Roosters (really any team) crowds dropping when relegated is very valid. I think u also have to weigh up the flip side where if a Perth or Adelaide were promoted there crowds and intrest would rise. I also have to disagree with your last comment. The fact these 12 teams are fighting for promotion means they would be seen in a different light to the state cup. The fact there games will get coverage in terms of fox sports etc will also see intrest rise far above state Cup levels.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Also if this relegation B-league existed, what impact would it have on the NSW & QLD cup teams?

They would become 3rd tier teams. The B-league would probably take their best players. Would their fans maintain their interest in those clubs?

No doubt they would become 3rd tier. Imo this is simply part of the process. They may lose fans however it would give an opportunity for more local players to play (kids that have come through the juniors etc). There standing and average crowds for both comps (excluding PNG who would be part of the NRL 2 anyway) is minimal at the moment and has been minimal for a long time now

alien

Referee

most probably would. I don't think there is much difference in crowds between nsw cup games and ron massey cup games

Last edited:

Marlins

Juniors
If there was a 2nd tier League with possible Promotion crowds would be much bigger then Nswcup/qcup as it stands. I agree if a big club were to struggle one season in the Nrl and get demoted they would struggle with crowds. On the other having teams in new regions like Redcliffe, Ipswich, CC, CQLD, NZ2/3, Fiji, this would create a huge hype for these areas attracting a lot more fans and building a great community support behind these clubs. Redcliffe might only average 500-2k crowd now but if they were looking like they would get promoted the area would go bonkers.

I'd like the Nrl to setup a 2nd tier league first but hold off promoting until for at least 4 years after the Comp started.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
If there was a 2nd tier League with possible Promotion crowds would be much bigger then Nswcup/qcup as it stands. I agree if a big club were to struggle one season in the Nrl and get demoted they would struggle with crowds. On the other having teams in new regions like Redcliffe, Ipswich, CC, CQLD, NZ2/3, Fiji, this would create a huge hype for these areas attracting a lot more fans and building a great community support behind these clubs. Redcliffe might only average 500-2k crowd now but if they were looking like they would get promoted the area would go bonkers.

I'd like the Nrl to setup a 2nd tier league first but hold off promoting until for at least 4 years after the Comp started.

Also important to remember the club that got relegated will always be fighting for promotion so fans will have something to strive for