What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion is the only positive for RL participation

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Look at how much money someone like NAB has poured into AFL over the years and CBA into cricket

Not just a sponsorship an integrated multi year partnership

We really do suck at getting the big end of town to back RL

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
So...

Let me get this straight.

Bellamy and the storm sign almost all their players from Interstate, yet when another club signs players from their area, it's a problem?

I laud the effort they've put in, but this is the end result.
Other clubs cop it, why should Melbourne be any different? Bellamy shouldn't be complaining to the papers, he should be asking recruitment how they let these players sign elsewhere if they have so much potential.

cleary89

Coach
Up to $250 depending on age, lot cheaper than soccer which is silly money because so many kids want to play it but more expensive than afl or union

Does nrl have a schools program like this?

https://www.sportingschools.gov.au/~/media/pdfs/aflsportingschoolsfaqs.pdf

In qland
http://www.couriermail.com.au/quest...n/news-story/9c06ad0b66317c0c58fa271b5d79745c

Pretty sure the sporting schools is a national wide program. We currently have hockey nsw out at my school, they run a 5 week program, the govt gives us 2k, we spend the money on hockey gear.

AFL kills it with the aus kick program, they come in and run a 30 minute session for each class and promote the shit out of an after school program - costs $50 and they all get tickets, bag, footy etc.

Backyard league is good, but relys on teachers being able to give up 5 weeks of class time for an hour a week. Most schools have teachers complaining they have too much on. Add in an hour a week to play rl and they blow up.

It's improving, but not at AFL levels yet.

taipan

Referee
Yeh, our biggest failure ha easily been he pathetic lobbying...

Where other codes were out asking for fundin and spruking partnerships, Gallop was sitting on his hands whinging about how the Nrl doesnt get nice things

The best example of Gallop's inadequacies, happened when he found out fumble ball in Wagga got many thousands of dollars from the Local Council,simply because the AFL lobbied for it.
Gallop then cried in his milk, saying we are entitled to some of the action, after the horse had bolted.

Smith despite going rogue on the TV deal,at least organised the code to have a lobbying procedure to take advantage of Govt/council largesse ,which had gone to other codes, whilst we sat on our rear ends.

To my knowledge it was the Titan's first consortium under Searle that did all the hard lobbying to get their stadium in place, and Gallop did SFA.
Funny how now Nth Qld is getting a new stadium,the State Govt is spending an Elton John(Queen's ) ransom on Parra/ANZ/SFS plus $40m for Centres of Excellence.

Last edited:

Pedge1971

First Grade
Because he's a Supercoach not Superman . . . he's just making a point, anyone who thinks Melbourne's scouts miss much is a fool

Straight in to the fray to protect Bellys honour.
The point is there are more youngsters playing RL in Victoria, and he's intimating it's because the Storm are successful. He's also surmising that Victorian RL might be worth investing in after all, along with other previously unidentified locations . . . not f**king rocket science from anyone coming to the same conclusion. If you need further help understanding the 'point' you could ask Bellamy himself . . . he sometimes struggles with middle men

I dunno ol mate. His balls have been on your chin for a while as his mouthpiece (pun intended).

Surprised it was not until post number 4 that you stepped in to defend his honour.

POPEYE

Coach
Straight in to the fray to protect Bellys honour.

I dunno ol mate. His balls have been on your chin for a while as his mouthpiece (pun intended).

Surprised it was not until post number 4 that you stepped in to defend his honour.
Bellamy doesn't need anyone to defend him ol' mate, I'm holidaying on the Sunshine with just enough spare time to wind up f**kwits and give the rest a giggle