What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion - Manly to the Gold Coast

doctor death

Juniors
It is crucial for rugby league that the Central Coast and Gold Coast be included in the NRL. The arguments for both teams are compelling.

Relocation of an existing team is important. I believe that team should be Manly. Why?

Manly is a financial basketcase. After many millions from News Ltd and years to get sponsorship and support, Manly are floundering. Latest desperate ploy is flogging 62% of the club for a pittance - even tho they are millions in debt and haven't paid ex-players. It's clear that they don't have the management or expertise to dredge up sufficient long term funding.

Manly have already shown that they will relocate if the money is right. they were keen to go to Gosford in 1999. So another relocation to Gold Coast would not be a big stretch for them.

Further, crowds are ordinary, they are running second last and need significant funding to "buy" a decent team.

This means you would have the Gold Coast eagles and bring n the central Coast Bears as yur 16th team. Everybody's happy.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Why don't we move all 15 clubs to the Gold Coast & start up the GCRL?? :roll:

Revolutionary...

Cheers,
Ben S.

simon says

First Grade
I do agree with him in the sense that both the CC and the GC should get a side.Although I wouldnt wish it on any Sydney club to move.I like playing at Brookie,Shark Park etc.....

But maybe its time for the NRL to offer some bug biccies for a relocate,that way no one loses a team and we get both the newbies to come in.I reckon ten million and some cap concessions might just do it.

Cheers.

fatshark

Bench
The Central Coast Eagles should never of folded. Just because old Manly croanies wanted things their way. I guess the lack of crowd support did nothing to help the club.

doctor death

Juniors
simon says said:
I do agree with him in the sense that both the CC and the GC should get a side.Although I wouldnt wish it on any Sydney club to move.I like playing at Brookie,Shark Park etc.....

But maybe its time for the NRL to offer some bug biccies for a relocate,that way no one loses a team and we get both the newbies to come in.I reckon ten million and some cap concessions might just do it.

Cheers.

Precisely the point.

As I said, from every perspective (funding, performance, future, crowds), Manly are failing miserably. Another relocation would get them some more News Ltd money. Sarah O'hare and their other News Ltd backers would ensure that they are still looked after.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
fatshark said:
The Central Coast Eagles should never of folded. Just because old Manly croanies wanted things their way. I guess the lack of crowd support did nothing to help the club.

Well lets say it should never have existed in the first place. The CC wanted their own team, the Bears. The Northern Eagles was a waste and the people on the CC didnt get much of a chance.

swing_low

Juniors
Hate to tell u but manly arent going anywhere. Privatisation is near which will secure our financial future and allow us to buy players such as lyon j monaghan and maybe even m orford..

To be perfectly honest we have wasted a decade with South Sydney and they seem to be going nowhere other than backwards. High profile players don't want to go there. The club itself is still run as it was decades ago. Crowds are down, finances are tight. They have to pay overs to attract players. They have a Leagues Club that fails to make any money to help support the Football Club. They should be gone for the professionalism of the sport.

doctor death

Juniors
swing_low said:
Hate to tell u but manly arent going anywhere. Privatisation is near which will secure our financial future and allow us to buy players such as lyon j monaghan and maybe even m orford..

I think the Manly privatisation deal needs to be spelled out.

Manly are flogging half the club for around $3 million which is close to their debt levels - including the ex-players who were promised payment and are still waiting. crowds and performance are ordinary. Manly NEED an injection of $10-20 million to be a viable entity. they are on skid row and the skid is getting faster.

relocation to the Gold Coast is their only option.

supersoniceagle

Juniors
Just about the crowds, they have really improved this year and will only get better as the team wins more games. Manly currently has a higher home average than the following teams:
Canberra
Parramatta
Wests Tigers
South Sydney
Melbourne

Matt M

Juniors
If you cut Manly then there will be no NRL from Bondi to Newcastle. Manly will be financially viable soon enough. Manly were never interested in moving to the CC either, it was the Bears who went up there. We stayed up there because the NRL wanted us to, but we left because nobody up there liked us. And we don't have to pay those past players, we just are because it is the right thing to do, if you say Manly have to pay them then the Bears should be paying half of their salary too.

The GC and CC should have teams, but not a team that is going fine right now.

Disco

Bench
doctor death said:
swing_low said:

Manly are flogging half the club for around $3 million which is close to their debt levels - including the ex-players who were promised payment and are still waiting. crowds and performance are ordinary. Manly NEED an injection of $10-20 million to be a viable entity. they are on skid row and the skid is getting faster.

Do u really think someone would buy into a business, and then cease to support it????

ur an idiot, its not like buying a cake, cutting out 60% of it and leaving, obviously Max Delemege and Penn Sport will buy into the club and then continue to support the club

rastus

Juniors
Disco said:
doctor death said:
swing_low said:

Do u really think someone would buy into a business, and then cease to support it????

ur an idiot, its not like buying a cake, cutting out 60% of it and leaving, obviously Max Delemege and Penn Sport will buy into the club and then continue to support the club

It is patently obvious that you have never operated or been involved in running a business because that statement is totally ludicrous.

Of course any businessman worth his salt will cut and run where the business he has invested in turns into a dud, otherwise he will soon be broke.

What is of interest is what do they get for their shareholding, do they get 62.5% of all sponsorship money, merchandise sales, gate takings etc. If so it is a very very poor deal indeed - not to mention the fact that it is not a large sum of money to begin with.

t-ba

Post Whore
Delmege isn't buying 62.5% of the club. It's an interest free loan, which results in him having a 15% stake. The remaining 47.5% is the deposit.

Briza

Juniors
Doctor Death you are a true Wanker !
The Bears are dead and Buried and the CC will not have a team, go and Hang yourself from the highest tree and leave the Rugby League talk to those that have a team.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Southern Rooster said:
To be perfectly honest we have wasted a decade with South Sydney and they seem to be going nowhere other than backwards. High profile players don't want to go there. The club itself is still run as it was decades ago. Crowds are down, finances are tight. They have to pay overs to attract players. They have a Leagues Club that fails to make any money to help support the Football Club. They should be gone for the professionalism of the sport.

Gold Coast Rabbitohs. Perth Rabbitohs. Adelaide Rabbitohs. It all sounds good!

rastus

Juniors
t-ba the hutt said:
Delmege isn't buying 62.5% of the club. It's an interest free loan, which results in him having a 15% stake. The remaining 47.5% is the deposit.

:lol: WTF is that gibberish? Does that mean he gets 15% for nothing?? Deposit on what?? I hope the other two members of the Manly club have more idea than you do about the proposal :D

Latest posts