What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion, where and when??

mightybears

Bench
The Bears will be back, the diaspora will be reconnected and the CC, the only area currently without an NRL team in NSW that has the money and demography to support one-will have their team.

Last edited:

mightybears

Bench
As for my club yes i realise our financial difficulties and would prefer to see them relocate to adelaide if need be.

Jason Taylor was a great example wasnt he. Im sure one little boy at the scg thinks so.

Im off to support my team- thats the good thing about the sharks they still exist

Jason was a grub, and a poor leader. Never had any time for him.

And its great that you still have your team to support, i want mine back. Our plan is sound, we will return.

Its a good thing the Sharkies are on the inside looking out, if they tried to get in today, with their demographics, and lack of $, a stadium built at the wrong end of the penisula etc-they'd have less chance than North Rocks Deaf and Blind of having a team in the NRL.

Goddo

Bench
Yep.

North Sydney-Central Coast Bears (sort of a North Sydney version of StGI) and Perth Reds rejoin 2013, Manly to Central QLD/Sunshine Coast giving QLD a 4th team, Cronulla to Adelaide, Wellington or the moon somewhere expansion and remote.

There you have it, perfect comp. If this happens we are sort of reversing some of the bad expansion decisions of the past (Manly Cronulla).

Last edited:

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Or maybe you could direct your anger at the norths officals that allowed a clause in there agreement with manly that allowed the nrl license to revert to manly if the joint venture failed.

Interesting.
Here's a "Cronulla" fan who seems to know the intricasies of the deal between Norths and Manly - one of the greatest insider frauds of all time.

Sounds like a News Lmited journalist who follows the Sharks?

t-ba

Post Whore
No,

Looks like they have laid claims to the northern suburbs as well which would be parramatta territiory

The north shore has a population of just over 200k, so with the CC they are still well short of there 1m catchment claim

BS. North's Catchment Covers Lane Cove, Mosman, Willoughby, North Sydney, Ku-Ring-Gai, Hornsby and Parts of the Hills District. It works out to Roughly 500-600k. I'd get the figures but the Great Firewall of China has decided Wikipedia is evil today. What you're thinking of is the Lower North Shore.

mightybears

Bench
BS. North's Catchment Covers Lane Cove, Mosman, Willoughby, North Sydney, Ku-Ring-Gai, Hornsby and Parts of the Hills District. It works out to Roughly 500-600k. I'd get the figures but the Great Firewall of China has decided Wikipedia is evil today. What you're thinking of is the Lower North Shore.

My 455,000 plus in a previous post were the councils areas [as above] of
Hornsby 158 k
Ku-ring-gai 106 k
Willoughby 68 k
North Sydney 62 k
Lane Cove 32 k
Mosman 28 k

And yeah the NSDRLFC junior area does go into the Hills

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
You sound like a deluded AFL nuff nuff

Its not really that bad of an idea. Rugby League has areas where it needs strengthening, ie NZ, France etc etc, therefor China is not a priority for us.

AFL only has Australia, its their plan that in about 30 years they will have the Australian market basically wrapped up. Then they can go anywhere they want as they have no areas that improvment. They could focus all their effort on China without having to worry about anywhere else.

Perth Red

Post Whore
as coach said we should look into china. population of 1 billion, we'd be stupid not to convert at least 1% of that market :thumn

and this thinking is why Rl is still confined to the East Coast of Australia, the North of England, PNG and the Sth of France!

I remember people mocking when RU stated they wanted to develop Italy to join the 5 Nations or suggestions that Argentia could become a competitive RU Int nation or when soccer wanted to develop in Asia or AF wanted to get a foothold on Europe.

Beijing or Gosford? Yep I can see why RL has the world status it does.

Loudstrat

Coach
Off ya go then PR. Beijing it is - and your "vision" would be that Dane Tilse would be a household name in Mongolia, like you were certain Steve Edmed would be the most recogniseable face in Tanzania when your club signed up for Traitor League?

:lol::lol:

Perth Red

Post Whore
that explains alot!

helen-keller2.jpg

Last edited:

Steel Dragon

Bench
Dang! THis topic has been going on a while.

I cant be f**ked reading all whats been said before - but heres my 2 cents...

I'd love to see 30 teams!
Every capital city Australia wide plus 2 or 3 NZ teams, a PNG team, a Fijian team and a Samoan team.
A Central Coast team, one or two more QLD teams, maybe a Riverina or Central West NSW team.

BUT
As was discovered in 1995 - expanding too quickly is a bad thing. The NRL has to do things in sustainable incriments.
I think the current situation is accomodating the 16 teams nicely.

Until theres a bit more money (and to a certain extent - talent) to splash around - i dont think another team is viable just yet.

I'd love to see the bears reinstated - but i think a non-NSW team would be preferable to the 'National' nature of the league

Latest posts