What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion, where and when??

Ant

Juniors
Just thinking about the independent commission, and where expansion sits in the games future.

I always felt the worst thing about the super league debacle was it derailed league at such a high point and at a time when we were equal if not ahead of the afl and had made such a postive move to expand to NQ, NZ, Perth and a second brisbane team. Only 2 of those sides still exists.

So where and when should we expand to, or should we go the other way, or a combo of both.

Existing sides:
1. Melbourne must be retained and the league needs to support it. If the NRL does not have a presence in the countries 2nd largest city we may as well pack up and go home. It took afl 20 years to get a decent foothold and neither of the swans of lions have gained the complete hearts and minds of their cities, but have built a strong fan base and helped junior development to a point where a lot more kids now play in qld and nsw. The storm over time will do the same for us, just as the river starts as a trickle. The afl experience tells us we must persist.

2. The 9 sydney teams. Well I am against culling teams, it causes more problems than it solves. I am in favour of continuing to offer incentives for teams to merge or relocate. I think the tigers and dragons have worked to a large degree. If they are all viable, there is no problem with the sydney teams.

3. Knights, Raiders both stay as a presence in some very large regional cnetres.

4. NZ, NQ, Brisbane and GC, its easy they all need to stay.

So really I don't see a great need to cull teams, but present options that allows a possible reduction in sydney teams but only if in big trouble.

Expansion.
I'll do this in order.
1. Perth, for mine the great loss of SL war. Perth has a large british and south african base and already have a solid junior system for a non league state. This is the place, we should go there and support it big time.
2. 2nd Brisbane team. I think the 2nd great loss was the crushers. They were a breath of fresh air for the many people who did not like the broncos. People were very excited. But SL started and they were painted as NSW puppets. It seems strange that in a rugby league mad state we will soon have as many afl sides in s/e qld as league sides. Nearly 3 million people in that corner and only 2 teams, surely having a game every week at suncorp would be great. Surely bring more income to the game.
3. Adelaide, look we just need to look at a more national presence. We need to go into areas that have a prospect of growth of gaining new fans, new juniors. Adelaide is a must long term.
4. A 2nd NZ side, either wellington or a south island side. The south island side probably has more prospect for creating new fans and players, as the south island is still extremely union orientated compared to the north.
5. CC Bears. Nostalgia mean I like the idea, an existing stadium and brand is good. But to expand would mean to grow the game, I am sorry to CC fans but I don't see much chance for great growth in that area in terms of extra juniors and/or fans for the game. I am happy to have the CC bears but not before the above 4 options.
6. Central qld, look for mine no way. It would be based out of mackay and rocky and would eat into the NQ fan base. Its just not a big enough area and is already a league strong hold. I particularly think the Mackay end could eat into the cowboys market, a market which is not that big to start with. Could you really build 2 20000 - 25000 stadiums in those cities for 6 games each a year. Or would you just put it in one city that is not big enough to deal with that sort of team. I just don't think it would work, but prove me wrong CQ.

Any sort of timeline, well before the new TV deal for 2 new teams, so thats by 2012 would be the plan. Then settle on that for at least 3 years before looking at anyone else.

But I do know we can't compete as a national sport unless we grow and part of growth is expansion. But we must expand to the area that makes the most sense, not who gets the most media coverage.

siv

First Grade
2nd Brisbane team should be a promotion of a existing club, rather than creating a new club

Agree with most of your points. Perth should be a priority, the retention of Melbourne is a no-brainer, and I like Siv's idea of promoting an existing club. Perhaps the relocation of an existing NRL club could also be in the mix. However, any relocation should not be forced, there should be big incentives for any club on the brink of financial capitulation to make that move voluntarily. I know there are arguments about whether relocated clubs are accepted, but the AFL made it work with Swans and Lions albeit it took decades to succeed.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
2nd Brisbane team should be a promotion of a existing club, rather than creating a new club

The QLD NRL clubs are so successful because they were created on a clean slate. If we promote an existing team then they may not gain the same amount of popular support due to existing rivalries.

In saying that I'd like to see the Ipswich Jets in the NRL one day.

edit:

Just IMO.

Keep the current teams. Encourage relocation and if a club does decide to relocate then the NRL has to back them and support them as best we can.

- WA Reds and Central Coast Bears for the next media deal (2013).
- The deal after that (2018?) we should bring in West Brisbane and Adelaide .

Keep tabs on the Sunshine Coast, 2nd NZ, Central QLD, PNG, 2nd Melb, etc for teams down the track.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
The QLD NRL clubs are so successful because they were created on a clean slate. If we promote an existing team then they may not gain the same amount of popular support due to existing rivalries.

In saying that I'd like to see the
Ipswich Jets in the NRL one day.

edit:

Just IMO.

Keep the current teams. Encourage relocation and if a club does decide to relocate then the NRL has to back them and support them as best we can.

- WA Reds and Central Coast Bears for the next media deal (2013).
- The deal after that (2018?) we should bring in West Brisbane and Adelaide .

Keep tabs on the Sunshine Coast, 2nd NZ, Central QLD, PNG, 2nd Melb, etc for teams down the track.

I agree. Isn't Ipswich/Logan the fastest growing region in Australia? Whatever happens, QLD needs more than 3 teams.

Last edited:

Paulie Jay

Juniors
Logistics aside, I've always liked the idea of Port Moresby side. And Perth, it would be great to have them back.

Last edited:

Bro Bear

Juniors
The CC Bears should be the first team. Large junior base - North Shore and Central Coast, another NSW Country team, strong bid in place already, stadium already built, financial backing, leagues clubs, fast growing area, strong league supporter base, and the Bears should never of been punted in the first place.

QLD - whether it be another Brisbane, Country or SE QLD team is the question.

WA if there is enough local support and juniors.

SA why - there is a total of about 200 junior and senior players.

PNG - well there is a lot of drama there and who would want to live there. It would have to be nearly an entire local playing squad. But the idea has merrits. At least they do suppport the game.

Bring in CC Bears and Ipswich Diggers/Jets or CQLD Brothers/Bulls/Miners in 2013.

WA Reds and PNG if safe and viable enough in 2018.

Have two conferences.

GO WHERE THE HEART LAND IS. Why place teams where there is a lack of support - SA?????

Last edited:

joshreading

Staff member
I think the NRL and its clubs need to make a committment to becoming the pre-eminant code and competition in Australasia. This is not just about Australia, this is a globalised world that even in sport is shrinking. Now what I am not saying is start in Hong Kong (not at all)

It is simply saying we need to decide whether we are scared the word 'vision' - clubs and their followers got burnt years ago, now it is time to move on united in becoming the strongest code and comp.

So...

As it stands no Sydney Teams need totally leave Sydney. However I do think that we need to get over the One City, Suburban team concept and realise people will now follow a team even if it is not exclusively theirs.

THUS.... In a Sydney regard (and their might be more ideas)

Manly - should come up with a plan to ultimately have 3 - 4 games total on the Sunshine Coast provided the Sunshine Coast comes up with the goods to make it work. (I would put Sunshine Coast somewhere on the badge without deleting Manly at all) This arrangement would not change at all in the next 10 - 15 YEARS.

Southern Sharks - lets be honest with ourselves for a second having around two thousand season tickets is pathetic no matter how you try to paint it. I would simply move 4 games (possibly increasing to no more than 6) to Adelaide. The branding of Sharks is second to none and works with the Adelaide/South Australia background. (and ''traditional'' branding has not helped really but pin them in the Shire)

The Government has been offering money and hindmarsh/Adelaide Oval also after the NRL. The potential is HUGE. The increase in money from taking badly attended games such as Melbourne/Warriors/NQ etc. to Adelaide would work so long as a fairly long term contract is drawn up between Gov and the Sharks. The increase in potential fan base (even casual/bandwagon means big money), the increase in sponsorship opportunities can't be ignored.

Western Panthers
The most controversial could be taking 4 Panthers games per year to Perth though (renaming the Penrith - Western Panthers - which would help them target Blacktown ironically as well) thus Penrith still gets atleast 8 - 9 games per year.

All these deals would have to give both the expansion area and Sydney base some security inthe arrangement.

Maybe it would not be a forever deal as Penrith grows and as WA gets a team possibly (but unfortunately not likely in the next ten years, which I think is stupid)

PerthRed - if this was your only option would you join as a member?

Similar ideas could work with Roosters (who are 'fan locked' and limited in Junior potential) Maybe just go with "Roosters" Eastern Suburbs - Christchurch :)

IF... such were to go ahead. For say starting 2011 - we have covered the next two Australian AFL cities without killing a team. I would then position to expand into QLD and then possibly NZ or CC. Really it would come down to TV money. Simple as that. If NZ can offer more TV money then CC (or vice versa) then that would be that.

Whilst I love the idea of PNG, they can wait. Give them standards they must come up to in sponsorship, stadium etc. Give special salary cap room for PNG players then put them in QLD Cup (which would be part of the NRL2 Champions League :)

Slackboy72

Coach
I think we need two more teams in Brisbane. Get the existing Qld Cup clubs involved.
Drop the two weakest Sydney clubs, we all know who you are.
If Melbourne can't survive without the $8 million taken out of the NRL by News then bad luck, see ya later.
I would much prefer to see a real team from a league heartland rather than a marketing exercise dreamt up in News Ltd's Surry Hills office.

ByRd

First Grade
Melbourne is a MUST, we cant just have a Qld/NSW based NRL. We need to expand into Perth next imo and make it a truly national game.

dimitri

First Grade
I think we need two more teams in Brisbane. Get the existing Qld Cup clubs involved.
Drop the two weakest Sydney clubs, we all know who you are.
If Melbourne can't survive without the $8 million taken out of the NRL by News then bad luck, see ya later.
I would much prefer to see a real team from a league heartland rather than a marketing exercise dreamt up in News Ltd's Surry Hills office.

The Storm are not a marketing exercise dreamt up in a NEWS LTD Office

You should read: http://rl1908.com/Clubs/Melbourne-Storm.htm

Slackboy72

Coach
Melbourne is a MUST, we cant just have a Qld/NSW based NRL. We need to expand into Perth next imo and make it a truly national game.

I often hear this but noone has explained WHY it has to be truly national.
Please elaborate...

Scarves

Juniors
One reason surely would be that the value of our television rights without the Storm would drop severely when compared with the AFL (as they are now), the AFL's future strategic expansionist plans, and that our competition would look to be contracting instead of going gang busters.

That's where the boss of the AFL does so well, he is able to engender that feeling that the AFL is doing ever so well, he is never coy and is always looking to think big.

Latest posts