What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion will pay for itself

Goddo

Bench
I oont think so Kirky it seems only the Bombers who are unlikely to get a look in and the 2nd Perth bid are the only privately owned
Well, kind of true. The only two which will be completely private you mention.

There is a whole mess of arangements with a couple of bids though - ie, Gosford is part owned/invested by the stadium, which is owned by Singleton. Then there was the previous arangement with Mortgage house, which was part sponsorship/ownership. Yes, its a "membership" model, but its got a lot of private vested interests. CQ is the same, with a few miners, QR National and so on all with an interest, but they claim to be membership driven. Then the Perth Reds will be tied very tightly to the WARL.

Thats no different to how a lot of current clubs work though - eg
St George is 50% St George Leagues, 25% Steelers Leagues, 25% WIN TV (through Steelers asset sales to pay debt, but WIN can't sell the assets to anyone but Steelers).
Brisbane is 67% News Ltd owned, 33% floated shares (with a few larger share holders amoung that 33%).
Then you have private models that usually have very tight members clauses on the owners activities at the club, like Souths and Newcastle.
Then you have others where although not private they are very heavily controlled by wealthy backers - Roosters being the best example.
The only fully private ownership model I can think of is Melbourne.

All different business models that will work. I don't think the type of model should preclude a bid.

Last edited:

CQ Italia

Juniors
Well, kind of true. The only two which will be completely private you mention.

There is a whole mess of arangements with a couple of bids though - ie, Gosford is part owned/invested by the stadium, which is owned by Singleton. Then there was the previous arangement with Mortgage house, which was part sponsorship/ownership. Yes, its a "membership" model, but its got a lot of private vested interests. CQ is the same, with a few miners, QR National and so on all with an interest, but they claim to be membership driven. Then the Perth Reds will be tied very tightly to the WARL.

Thats no different to how a lot of current clubs work though - eg
St George is 50% St George Leagues, 25% Steelers Leagues, 25% WIN TV (through Steelers asset sales to pay debt, but WIN can't sell the assets to anyone but Steelers).
Brisbane is 67% News Ltd owned, 33% floated shares (with a few larger share holders amoung that 33%).
Then you have private models that usually have very tight members clauses on the owners activities at the club, like Souths and Newcastle.
Then you have others where although not private they are very heavily controlled by wealthy backers - Roosters being the best example.
The only fully private ownership model I can think of is Melbourne.

All different business models that will work. I don't think the type of model should preclude a bid.

CQ has a private owner currently, the rest is sponsorship/corporate partners. However it will also be a part-owned community concept sometime in the future (Geoff Murphy maintains a significant shareholding but fans can also own the team... so the best of both worlds)

Last edited:

CQ Italia

Juniors
I'd suggest the two weakest bids out of the options at the moment are the two privately owned models where there is no community engagement or link.

Brisbane Bombers is behind WC imo and Tony Sage is miles behind the WA Reds bid.

In typical RL fashion we are looking for quick fixes in terms of financial sustainability and rather than looking to maximise sustainable income we want to shift our reliance on pokies to a reliance on rich men with a whim to own a sports club.
Agree. Bids should be well advanced by now with at least 3+ years planning, community enagement, programs already in place and a strong level of financial (Corporate & sponsors) agreements in place. Learn from the mistakes of the past. Just have a look at the A League.

gyallop

Juniors
so the Western Corridor is the only true community owned not for profit bid? I guess if the commission goes with them it will be a sign of faith in the fans supporting them and the game as without game day fans there is no fat wallet to reach into!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not really as the current set up is a q,land cup team driving it. Wa reds bid is currently driven by warl which is the peak body for rl in WA and could be argued is a representative of all players and fans.

Last edited:

Latest posts