What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F O Brian Smith

Bazal

Post Whore
Parramatta fans will be along soon to explain.

You rang?

Smithy is a legend. Got stale at Parramatta, it happens. But he built us into a genuine force for the first time since the 80s, and no one else has done so since. He rebuilt Newcastle. The bloke can build a side and he doesn't take shit. Warriors have made a good call, but they need to give him the ability to do his job and back him, otherwise it's a pointless exercise. Sure, he's a perennial over-achiever who never managed to win the big one, but he got quite a few sides right up there with a chance.

Rich102

Staff member
You rang?

Smithy is a legend. Got stale at Parramatta, it happens. But he built us into a genuine force for the first time since the 80s, and no one else has done so since. He rebuilt Newcastle. The bloke can build a side and he doesn't take shit. Warriors have made a good call, but they need to give him the ability to do his job and back him, otherwise it's a pointless exercise. Sure, he's a perennial over-achiever who never managed to win the big one, but he got quite a few sides right up there with a chance.

Sounds like just the bloke we need.
Now if management just give him their full backing..............................

JJ

Immortal
He got sacked from the Knights, Eels and Roosters. I just dont think he is the right "fit"
After sucess, contrast with our plodding coach

Smith has a great football brain, and usually coaches don't last forever at a club, they leave or get pushed, he's consistently succesful

jaseg

Juniors

Smith has a great football brain, and usually coaches don't last forever at a club, they leave or get pushed, he's consistently succesful

I wouldn't say consistently - he finished his last two NRL stints with losing records (he wasn't sacked from Newcastle though - he walked out on his contract to go to the Roosters if I remember correctly). Nonetheless, he's clearly had some success.

In any case, for the job he's being brought in to do the closer comparison is probably his review (that the board actioned) at the Tigers - in 2014. Didn't exactly turn the ship around there.

I'd rather clean out certain other staff (*cough*), recruit Jason Demetriou into the head coach role and Motu Tony as head of the football department (hard to find proven quality here, and Tony certainly saw improvements at Hull) - but that's spilled milk now, and Smith is still probably an upgrade.

I just saw Pat Vaivai has gone to Leigh. What a joke - we could have used him in our best 17 next season, but of course our recruitment is more focused on getting Green...

flippikat

Bench

He's as successful as you can be as a coach without winning titles - if he was ever gonna win a Grand Final it would've been in 2001 with Parra. That loss to the Knights was a complete humiliation, as they owned that season right up to Grand Final day.

So I seriously doubt he'll coach a team to win a GF now (hey Brian, feel free to prove me wrong with the Warriors!).. but he's a great "turnaround" coach, and I think that's a real plus for the Warriors.

Every time he's taken a coaching role, he's improved a club's form. If he achieves the same sort of form improvement he did at his other clubs, then the Warriors have made a great deal. Then the missing piece to the puzzle will just be that playoff footy ruthlessness that wins Grand Finals.

vvvrulz

Coach
Why are we hating on Brian Smith?

At least we've finally signed a coach with real experience; no world beater but beggars can't be choosers.

I was seriously worried our club was about to die a slow death in Aotearoa while the rest of the NRL zooms along, we need some form of an Australian presence here because we've proven where all grass roots is headed.