What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fan Unfriendly WC

deluded pom?

Coach
I'd suggest:

Start your trip in Auckland.
Watch NZ v Samoa on the Saturday.
Spend a week on the North Island driving down or around, ending up in Hamilton for the Samoa v Tonga game. There should be a way to watch the NZ v Scotland game - be it on your phone or a pub near the stadium or if the organisers are smart they'll set something up in the stadium for NZ fans.

So 2 weeks to the QFs? Enjoy NZ's many wonders or pop over to Sydney/Melbourne in the meantime, plus there's another game in Hamilton a week later if you're so inclined.

There are a lot of interesting decisions with the scheduling and it's hard to see why they've made certain decisions, as you say. But still seems like more than enough options for a good trip.
Already booked it mate. Just shy of a week in the NI taking in NZ v Sam and Sam v Ton and then best part of two weeks in the SI watching nobody unless on tv.

Coastbloke

Bench
Draw with all times in AEDT (Sydney/NSW, Melbourne/VIC, Canberra/ACT daylight savings time).

There are remarkably few overlaps considering the 5 timezones involved. Round 1 Saturday and Sunday and Round 2 Sunday you'll miss ( or watch late) 1 game each day, if watching on tv.

I'll post this in a new thread too.

Fri Oct 27
8:00pm : Aus v Eng @ Melbourne

Sat Oct 28
5:30pm : PNG v Wal @ Port Moresby (4:30pm local)
5:30pm : NZ v Sam @ Auckland (7:30pm local)
7:30pm : Fij v USA @ Townsville (6:30pm local)

Sun Oct 29
3:00pm : Sco v Ton @ Cairns (2:00pm local)
4:00pm : Fra v lebanese @ Canberra
5:00pm : Ire v Ita @ Cairns (4:00pm local)

Fri Nov 3
8:00pm : Aus v Fra @ Canberra

Sat Nov 4
3:30pm : NZ v Sco @ Christchurch (5:30pm local)
5:30pm : Sam v Ton @ Hamilton (7:30pm local)
7:30pm : Eng v lebanese @ Sydney

Sun Nov 5
5:00pm : PNG v Ire @ Port Moresby (4:00pm local)
5:30pm : Fij v Wal @ Townsville (4:30pm local)
7:30pm : Ita v USA @ Townsville (6:30pm local)

Fri Nov 10
7:45pm : Fij v Ita @ Canberra

Sat Nov 11
3:30pm : NZ v Ton @ Hamilton (5:30pm local)
6:30pm : Sam v Sco @ Cairns (5:30 local)
8:00pm : Aus v lebanese @ Sydney

Sun Nov 12
4:30pm : PNG v USA @ Port Moresby (3:30pm local)
6:30pm : Wal v Ire @ Perth (3:30pm local)
9:00pm : Eng v Fra @ Perth (6:00pm local)

Fri Nov 17
8:30pm : QF1 @ Darwin (7:00pm local)

Sat Nov 18
3:00pm : QF2 @ Christchurch (5:00pm local)
5:30pm : QF3 @ Wellington (7:30pm local)

Sun Nov 19
4:00pm : QF4 @ Melbourne

Fri Nov 24
8:00pm : SF1 @ Brisbane (7:00pm local)

Sat Nov 25
3:30pm : SF2 @ Auckland (5:30pm local)

Sat Dec 2
8:00pm : GF @ Brisbane (7:00pm local)

I think there's major flaws in this RLWC and some major disasters waiting to happen.

Having said that, far out there is some fantastic looking match ups in this tournament..!!

Can't wait for Australia v France, I would so love to see France take it to the Kangaroos..lol..This game should be what the French train for..

Someone on here mentioned PNG home games. They will be amazing. The crowds will go nuts..Kangaroos v England, Tonga v Samoa, NZ v Samoa etc etc. Despite the flaws I can't wait..

adamkungl

Immortal
True. Yorkshire and Lancashire are pretty cold.

Townsville is often below 30

6bf5e7a933d8a1f15c110e818aa08a84

The biggest threat is apathy, especially in NZ. It's been five and a bit years since the Union World Cup which was a resounding success. They drew a fullhouse in Rotorua for a freaking Russia game. Kiwi sporting fans will get behind the Kiwis and Island nations...but they are also very aware of the farcical eligibility laws and fical nature of the international schedule. I can see critics like Rattue et al already shitting on the tournament based off of this which wont do it any favours. The PR needs to be rigourous, and its gonna take a lot of luck to sell any Kiwis matches - let alone a match not involving NZ.

Hoping for the best but.

adamkungl

Immortal
The only danger game, crowd wise, for NZ is the QF that wont involve NZ. One of them is obviously likely to.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The biggest threat is apathy, especially in NZ. It's been five and a bit years since the Union World Cup which was a resounding success. They drew a fullhouse in Rotorua for a freaking Russia game. Kiwi sporting fans will get behind the Kiwis and Island nations...but they are also very aware of the farcical eligibility laws and fical nature of the international schedule. I can see critics like Rattue et al already shitting on the tournament based off of this which wont do it any favours. The PR needs to be rigourous, and its gonna take a lot of luck to sell any Kiwis matches - let alone a match not involving NZ.

Hoping for the best but.

Biggest threat is sht marketing and not building hype. Union can sell shthouse games in RUWC because they con the public into thinking they are events they must attend. We need some seriously good marketing starting late 2017 and building to the tournament. I think the NZ crowds will be good if it is run well.

adamkungl

Immortal
The toughest sell for a NZ quarter would be Scotland v Fiji or France, which is a reasonably likely result, depending on how the tournament finals are organised.

But that said, good marketing should have the finals sold out before the sides are even finalised. It shouldn't matter.

Even if Scotland finish second in their group, which includes Samoa and Tonga, they won't play France. It would be Fiji most likely. Ideally Samoa or Tonga will finish second instead.

adamkungl

Immortal
Even if Scotland finish second in their group, which includes Samoa and Tonga, they won't play France. It would be Fiji most likely. Ideally Samoa or Tonga will finish second instead.

The quarter finals will likely be

A1 v B3
B1 v A3
C v A2
D v B2

but could be

A1 v D
B1 v C
A2 v B3
B2 v A3

I dont *think* this would cause any obvious problems - and in this situation Scotland could play France in a QF.

As far as I know a finals draw hasn't been made official, correct me if Im wrong.

I don't understand why that second list of fixtures would occur. I thought the fixtures were as per that first list and only the venues could change to ensure Australia played in Darwin and NZ played in Wellington. The only way the fixtures should change would be if they meant to play each other, but that would mean one of them finishing third in their group which is hard to imagine. But it's so confusing at this stage i can't be sure of any of it.

adamkungl

Immortal
I don't understand why that second list of fixtures would occur. I thought the fixtures were as per that first list and only the venues could change to ensure Australia played in Darwin and NZ played in Wellington. The only way the fixtures should change would be if they meant to play each other, but that would mean one of them finishing third in their group which is hard to imagine. But it's so confusing at this stage i can't be sure of any of it.

Yeah, having another look it at today the 2nd one has the obvious problem of group winners playing each other. *facepalm*. So yes I would very much hope the first one.

The Partisan

C'mon DP ...I'm looking forward to buying you and Spud a pint somewhere during the Cup !

With a country our size it will never be an easy gig for any sport to hold a World Cup.

Must admit I did love the fact that in 2013 whilst based in Warrington i was able to catch 3 of the 4 quarter finals live with little effort. Only missed out on the NZ / Sco in Hull ....where i was glued to the set at Warrington's Rodney Hotel ! ( Had to go back there again this year whilst in the area.....love that pub !)

deluded pom?

Coach
C'mon DP ...I'm looking forward to buying you and Spud a pint somewhere during the Cup !

With a country our size it will never be an easy gig for any sport to hold a World Cup.

Must admit I did love the fact that in 2013 whilst based in Warrington i was able to catch 3 of the 4 quarter finals live with little effort. Only missed out on the NZ / Sco in Hull ....where i was glued to the set at Warrington's Rodney Hotel ! ( Had to go back there again this year whilst in the area.....love that pub !)
As I've already said it's not the size of the area staging the WC but the fact that games that could be attended are being played on the same day with no chance of seeing both matches without the aid of a Tardis. If you insist on buying me a pint PM me and I'll give you an address you can send the money to. ;)

Latest posts