What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fan Unfriendly WC

The Partisan

Be interesting to know how much of an affect the NSW decision to not bid had on the scheduling.

Also disappointed in no Gold Coast game after two games (a pool game - NZ / PNG and SFQ - Fiji / Ireland) were played there in 2008.

Sorry DP , Pint only supplied on personal presentation basis ! ;)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Major effect. If they had put their hand in their pocket they would likely have had a better pool game a 1/4 final and the semi.

PaulyTom

Juniors
Having a fan friendly world cup in the size of Australia is difficult. Especially if you want to grow the game.

Just look at the football world cups in Brazil. Australia games were in tricky cities to plan journeys . CUIABA was in particular a travel itinerary nightmare, most took a 2 airplane connection and some travelled 26 odd hours by bus.

deluded pom?

Coach
Having a fan friendly world cup in the size of Australia is difficult. Especially if you want to grow the game.

Just look at the football world cups in Brazil. Australia games were in tricky cities to plan journeys . CUIABA was in particular a travel itinerary nightmare, most took a 2 airplane connection and some travelled 26 odd hours by bus.

What is CUIBA? New Zealand isn't a huge country but the organisers have managed to have two occasions were games are played in two different cities on the same day. Wouldn't it be smart to maximise the number of people who can attend?

adamkungl

Immortal
What is CUIBA? New Zealand isn't a huge country but the organisers have managed to have two occasions were games are played in two different cities on the same day. Wouldn't it be smart to maximise the number of people who can attend?

It would, you're right, but in all honesty it ranks pretty low on the list of questionable scheduling decisions for this WC.

I've penciled this in, should be close to the final plan
Drive to Canberra Sun Oct 29, Fra v Lebanon, drive back to Sydney

Sat Nov 4 in Sydney Eng v Lebanon

Fly to Townsville early Sun Nov 5, Townsville double header same day

Fly to Perth Sat Nov 11

Perth double header Sun Nov 12

Fly home Sun Nov 19 - attend no QFs (consider Melbourne?*)

Attend no SFs

Fly to Brisbane Fri Dec 1

Final in Brisbane Sat Dec 2

Fly home Sun Dec 3

*Maybe Melbourne detour.

Fly to Melbourne on Nov 17 or 18. Lose a day or 2 from Perth

The Partisan

If i go im only doing the england group games or the semi final & final....

If i was organising this world cup id have held all the 1/4 finals in sydney over a weekend,a game on friday,double header saturday,game on sunday...or 2 doubleheaders on sat & sun at the sfs..

That could have been huge,sydney could have fallen in love with tests again...

Have to say I do like the Sydney QF's concept ....possibly expanding it to 3 in Sydney and one in Newcastle or Wollongong. Great QF weekend had at RLWC 2013 seeing 3 of the 4 games live at the ground (missed NZ V Scotland in Hull). Remember seeing a few familiar faces at each game so people did travel around.

adamkungl

Immortal
So, is the Darwin QF definitely the one featuring Australia, or is it A1 v B3 regardless of who A1 is?

ie. If the stars align and England knocks Australia off the top of the group, does Darwin get the C v A2 QF?

morningstar

Juniors
So, is the Darwin QF definitely the one featuring Australia, or is it A1 v B3 regardless of who A1 is?

ie. If the stars align and England knocks Australia off the top of the group, does Darwin get the C v A2 QF?

Found this on the titans website of all places...

http://www.titans.com.au/news/2016/07/19/mead_hosting_cup_gam.html

The Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) has approved that if Australia qualifies for a Quarter-Final, it will play in Darwin. If New Zealand qualifies for a Quarter-Final, it will play in Wellington. If Australia and New Zealand were to play each other in a Quarter-Final or Semi-Final, whoever finishes higher in the pool stage will get the home advantage. The full Quarter-Final fixture will be finalised at the conclusion of the pool stages, taking in to consideration hosting requirements.

If Australia and New Zealand make the Semi-Finals they will play in Brisbane and Auckland respectively.

Clarkent

Juniors
The Samoa vs Tonga game should've been played in Auckland... That was a obvious sell out with the population of Samoans and Tongans living there... Silly move putting it in Hamilton

deluded pom?

Coach
Have to say I do like the Sydney QF's concept ....possibly expanding it to 3 in Sydney and one in Newcastle or Wollongong. Great QF weekend had at RLWC 2013 seeing 3 of the 4 games live at the ground (missed NZ V Scotland in Hull). Remember seeing a few familiar faces at each game so people did travel around.
NZ v Scotland was played at Headingley, Leeds.

So Australia could play NZ in Darwin, at a venue that holds about 7k from what I can tell.

Wouldn't that be a good look.

Ok, it won't happen because NZ would have to finish third in the group, but you know.

adamkungl

Immortal
Found this on the titans website of all places...

http://www.titans.com.au/news/2016/07/19/mead_hosting_cup_gam.html

The Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) has approved that if Australia qualifies for a Quarter-Final, it will play in Darwin. If New Zealand qualifies for a Quarter-Final, it will play in Wellington. If Australia and New Zealand were to play each other in a Quarter-Final or Semi-Final, whoever finishes higher in the pool stage will get the home advantage. The full Quarter-Final fixture will be finalised at the conclusion of the pool stages, taking in to consideration hosting requirements.

If Australia and New Zealand make the Semi-Finals they will play in Brisbane and Auckland respectively.

A recent article by Mal Meninga said the Kangaroos will play in Darwin IF they finish first, otherwise they're off to Melbourne.

So who knows what to think

morningstar

Juniors
A recent article by Mal Meninga said the Kangaroos will play in Darwin IF they finish first, otherwise they're off to Melbourne.

So who knows what to think
Yeah saw that today. I've contacted RLWC2017 to see if I can get an answer. Will let you know if I get a response.

adamkungl

Immortal
Side note, the RLIFs twitter is almost completely non responsive to questions in my experience. Just re-posts news articles.
Claims to be a "vibrant community for fans" though

The Partisan

NZ v Scotland was played at Headingley, Leeds.

Whoops my bad ! Got the first letter right ! I was based in Warrington at the time and considered heading over there and then coming back next day for the 'W' trifecta ( Wrexham. Wigan and Warrington QF's) but ended watching it at The Rodney in Warrington over a pint or two ( may be three !)

morningstar

Juniors
Side note, the RLIFs twitter is almost completely non responsive to questions in my experience. Just re-posts news articles.
Claims to be a "vibrant community for fans" though

Try facey, got a quick response but not the one I wanted.

"Quarter Finals fixtures won't be finalised till the #RLWC2017 Pool matches are completed."

adamkungl

Immortal
What's the likely line up for the semi in Auckland?

Assuming wins to the 'big 3' over others

Q1: A1 v B3 (Aus/Eng vs Sam/Sco/Ton) @ Darwin/Melbourne

Q2: D v B2 (Fij/USA/Ita vs Sco/Sam/Ton) @ Christchurch

Q3: B1 v A3 (NZ v Fra/Lebanon) @ Wellington

Q4: C v A2 (PNG/Wal/Ire v Eng/Aus) @ Melbourne/Darwin

SF1: Q1 v Q2 (Aus/Eng v Fij/USA/Ita/Sco/Sam/Ton) @ Brisbane

SF2: Q3 v Q4 (NZ v Eng/Aus) @ Auckland

Latest posts