What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fans to meet Gallop in forum

macavity

Referee
Macavity did you feel that the forum achieved anything, that anyone was listening, or that they would take on board and actually do something about the issues that were raised?

They were listening, but I was very disappointed that those in the crowd nodding along weren't lending their voice to mine. Only one Souths fan actually piped up.

They will fiddle around the edges, sure - but when it comes to the major issues, nothing will change until we reach some sort of tipping point - either one of our "partners" going bust, News pulling out, or people power overwhelming them (all unlikely..). Anyone up for another march?

Can you please confirm a suspicion I've had for sometime please Shane?

Does David Gallop actually walk around with a dictaphone and when a question is asked of him he rewinds the dictaphone to the correct answer and then presses play?

Everytime I see or hear anything from him, it's the same responses "word for word". He must rehearse it in the shower day after day.

He is impressive - it must be hard to speak so much without actually saying anything.

Look, Gallop could possibly be a very good CEO - he is certainly smart enough. However he lacks two things that hold our game back:
a) genuine passion for RL (that was very evident - he made it clear he doesn't believe in the game); and
b) the freedom to do what is best for the game.

Until both of those things change, he is neccessarily part of the problem.

Choppies

Coach
mate I hammered him on broadcasting into Perth and Adelaide - he was adamant no one in Perth or Adelaide follows RL, and it would be to our detriment to even try to foster a following there. if you disagree, get writing.

what I took from the meeting was that Gallop has no faith in League - he does not believe it is an attractive "product" worth promoting. He disdains the "missionary" mindset.

wonder where that is coming from - wouldn't be in News' best interests to compartmentalise the country, would it?

What a complete fool Gallop is. No wonder RL is going no where with puppets like Gallop in charge. Is it not his job to look into expanding the game and to get the best deal avaliable for the game? I mean what the f**k is he doing? Organising little wankfests like this meeting with nothing coming out of it?
I'm just finding it really hard to get into anything rugby league related anymore.
I find it sad that such inept management and conflicts of interest have made me lose a lot of passion for the game I gew up watching.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
What a complete fool Gallop is. No wonder RL is going no where with puppets like Gallop in charge. Is it not his job to look into expanding the game and to get the best deal avaliable for the game? I mean what the f**k is he doing? Organising little wankfests like this meeting with nothing coming out of it?
I'm just finding it really hard to get into anything rugby league related anymore.
I find it sad that such inept management and conflicts of interest have made me lose a lot of passion for the game I gew up watching.

I am delighted to see that, after so many years, people are waking up to Gallop and the other News Limited lackeys.

News Limited are now afraid that PayTV subscriptions are falling off - so they probably believe bringing in Central coast/North Shore with the Bears will fix this. Good enough if these idiots do so - because by default it will make rugby league stronger.

If the story ever gets out about what really happened to the Bears (plus ALL the responsible parties), there would be blood on the floor - and rugby league would be severely damaged. Maybe News Limited is hoping to head this off.

(KW)

Juniors
I attended on behalf of the Raiders and though it is a good initiative, I am not sure the NRL knew what they wanted to achieve on the day, and it could have been a lot better. Heres hoping that they continue to host similar forums in the future.

The session with Gallop produced the usual rhetoric, though he was very honest and upfront about a lot of issues. He is not a supporter of expanding into Perth or Adelaide any time soon, thats for sure.

The focus group at the end is where the best ideas were shared for promoting membership, however we only got 25 minutes cause the first session with Gallop ran so late. An extended forum spread over 2 days would generate a lot of ideas for the NRL to work on.

KW

macavity

Referee
didn't see you there KW - and I would know your ugly mug anywhere

sorry mate, would have said g'day.

Raider_69

Post Whore
KW was probably down the back somewhere snoozing after a big night on the Rum's... Woodgers may not have even made it!

Alehana

Juniors
MaCavity your a legend, thanks for stanidng up for the game, keep up the good work,

Gallop is kidding himself when he says News Limited doesn't have a conflict of interest, i say theres some under the table deals being done and gallop is the puppet that tries to justify it even tho he is clearly looking like a fool

Here's my take on it

Back in the days when RL was going great b4 the SL war, it was the game for Australia, no1 had heard of AFL in NSW and QLD and it was only big among AFL parts of WA and SL, but every1 knew about the RL that weekend, the crowds were great, the games were on tv, RL was what AFL is now in AUs but better, if u can imagine what the next tv rights deal will be and the amount of people watching it, u can imagine that tv networks will be a little nervous about how they are going to pay for it, but they have to, coz the ratings are so good. After the SL war, News LImited have an idea to put a cap on the cost of the game, because they know it will rate well, but its the cost (tv rights deal) they are concerned about, so why not them control the game, control how clubs operate, control how the nrl operates, control how RL in Aus operates, control to tv deals, thus have some control of the cost of it, with the tv rights deal ppl in no RL states are forced to get foxtel if they want any hope of seeing a game, win to news limited and news limited pays no where close to what it really should be paying.

If this haden't happened, i'm confident that we'd see more games on FTV at decent times, and CG17 would never be heard of or even considered. the tv rights deal would be close or even better than the afl deal, and foxtel wouldn't have the coverage they have of league, coz they wouldn't be able to afford it. David gallop wouldn't be there and we'd have a passionate CEO, and Adelaide and Perth, the bears, heck even bluebags and NT and central coast would have a team.

Last edited:

innsaneink

Referee
didn't see you there KW - and I would know your ugly mug anywhere

sorry mate, would have said g'day.

One Tigers fan reckons gallop owned you.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/index.php?showtopic=26919&st=15
-crouching tiger said:
Agreed, after today's insight, Gallop has all my respect(if that means anything LOL). Some Newcastle joker/supporter just wanted to catch him out all day, and brought all his stupid stats from god knows where to seem clued up. Gallop OWNED him all day by simply calmly rattling off numbers off the top of his head to counter!! The Novacastrian bloke is probably still scratching his head.

El Diablo

Post Whore
its worrying that Gallop always talks the game down and wanks on about AFL

he is probably the worst thing to happen to league. first being a SL lawyer and now a terrible CEO

please piss off David

gong_eagle

First Grade
its worrying that Gallop always talks the game down and wanks on about AFL

he is probably the worst thing to happen to league. first being a SL lawyer and now a terrible CEO

please piss off David

I 2nd the motion
*goes looking for that Gallpop pic* :lol:

Brutus

Referee
Brilliant work Macavity.

I would love nothing more than to see someone go head-to-head with Gallop, ready to dismantle his predictable, programmed answers.

It is a disgrace we have a CEO who has no faith in our game. When he says he doesn't want to force AFL states to show RL at a decent hour because he he thinks it will get smashed in the ratings, does he realise what the AFL has been doing in Sydney and Brisbane for years upon years now?

Do the words long-term growth or bigger picture ever enter the mind of this bloke? Why can't the NRL at least get one game on in Victoria every week at a decent hour? It doesn't have to be prime time, just at a decent hour so people can watch it, be made aware of it. It's not that difficult. You include things like this in the contract to make them happen. Like the AFL do.

He is a News LTD puppet with no passion for the game. I'd like him to prove otherwise. I really wish I followed another footy code when I hear him speak. Nothing worse than finding out the game you love is being run by people who are fighting for another cause. I'm trying to work out who cares about RL less out of DG or CL.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
So all it did was confirm what we already knew about Gallop. He doesn't have a clue. Surprise!

woodgers

Bench
I went with KW as the other Raiders representative and agree with his comments. There was a lot of stats reeled off by Gallop and co about how well they are going rather than actual discussion of the issues. The amount of media in the room gave it a very distinct PR exercise. The time spent on the focus group at the end asking the members what they like about their membership was far too short, 20-30 minutes was nowhere near enough time to get anything meaningful, as much as we tried. Like KW said, why not a day or two? The fact that it started as a mingle at 10:30, went to the presentation at 11, and broke for lunch around 2 when Gallop left wasn't sufficient. Surely he is not that busy that he can't set aside a full day and really listen to the fans?

Anyway onto Macavity and his comments, I thought they were superb. No way did Gallop get the better of him, not a chance in hell. I'm guilty as charged though, Macavity said exactly what I wanted to but really had to wait till the very end when it was appropriate and somewhat relevant to the conversation being had. I was certainly nodding along and keen to have my say as the timekeepers were desperately trying to wrap it up. The News Limited issue was danced around, as was the whole Channel Nein involvement. The answers weren't sufficent for mine. I'll buy Macavity a beer at EAS or Canberra Stadium next season for sure, he really stood up and made a case, with supporting evidence with him for the rebuttal.

In regards to expansion into Perth and Adelaide, Gallops comment that got me was "We're not going to insist that they put the NRL on just to see it smashed in the ratings on a Friday night. It would be embarassing to get ratings of 35,000 when the AFL on another channel is getting 350,000". I found that absurd, surely reaching 35,000 is better than reaching 0 and having re-runs of Terminator 2? Maybe it is just us guys....

One time I put my hand up and wasn't picked was in regards to this ratings thing when Gallop was talking up the whole ratings thing and why the scheduling and handpicking of games by 9 and Fox is so influential. It was all 'ratings, ratings, ratings'. My question was going to be "We keep hearing about ratings but nothing about people actually going to the footy. Where does your priority lie here when crowds have been dismal?". No doubt he would have danced around that one too.

I was talking to another couple of NRL employees at lunch and also tried to touch on it in the focus group based on quality of memberships. I just find it odd that they want to find out what works for us when we are the people that will turn up regardless. The people you need to tap into is the casual fan and lure them towards the membership. My argument is that you cannot connect with the casual fan charging absurd gameday prices. One example I gave is Canberra Stadium gameday where the cheapest adult ticket is $30 and kids $25. That is $85 for one adult and 2 kids plus a carpark. When you can get foxtel with sport for less than that, this is why there is no one at the games. Compare that to my mate who took his 9yr old son to the Telstra Dome to watch Western Bulldogs vs St Kilda and the price for his lad was $2.20 and you find out how you build the lifelong fan. The answer was that by doing this type of thing, you are cheapening the product. I feel like giving up......

the problem is the NRL is now a big bussiness and is run by business people who lack passion and foresight.
Gone are the days that a ex player will be CEO of the NRL. To me the person who is CEO should extrude passion for the game and it's history.
The current CEO doesn't seem to have the passion for the game required.
Gallop also looks and sounds in the last few interviews i have seen/heard that he is tired and over it, maybe it's time you moved on David.
Mick Hagan said his passion had gone so he did the right thing and quit, David maybe you should do the same thing for the good of others.
He would be on a pretty good wicket Gallop so maybe the salary is what is keeping him there.

Knightmare

Coach
My only real consolation is that the game is better off now than what it was 7-10 years ago. On saying that, as many people have pointed out, we could be a hell of a lot better. And then supporters of teams who joined Superleague wonder why fans of ARL teams/ teams who were cut or merged (but they are mostly the same thing) can't just "get over it." The NRL is a like a Ferrari with 3 flat tyres.

griff

Bench
there's no one like macavity, well done.

it's obvious it was more a PR exercise than actually listening to the fans but good on you for getting the major issues talked about. Believe it or not there are more important things than video refs and grapple tackles.

Brutus

Referee
I remember a few weeks ago that horrid Bec and Buzz gossip column gave it to the NRL admin for not turning up to Harry Bath's funeral. But they made an excuse for Gallop, saying he was "sick". Just pathetic.

Gallop is a protected species by the Daily Telegraph. I wonder why.

Our game is in a sick state with these clowns running it. I'd really like to know the latest with Turvey Mortimer's Independent commission proposal.