What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite cover songs

horrie hastings

First Grade
Zoots version of Eleanor Rigby came up on my ipod yesterday at work and one of the young casuals went whoa, who sings this ? this is much better than the Beatles version.

Lol even the heading for the you tube clip says better than the Beatles.

beave

Coach
Those 2 Ryan Adams covers are f**king amazing, cheers for sharing!!

I like this Lacuna Coil cover of Depeche Modes 'Enjoy the Silence'

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I'm just wondering which songs should never be covered. But they probably already have.

Ones that immediately come to mind.

When Doves Cry - Prince

Rum and Coca Cola - The Andrew Sisters

Some of David Bowie's early/mid 70s stuff.

Changing gear somewhat, by far Australia's best cover band was the Iva Davies led Flowers who went on to become Icehouse.

I saw them over 30 times in the Sydney southern/eastern suburb pubs from the late 70s until they commercialized and become Icehouse. Places like Selina's, Sylvania, Caringbah Inn were the days.

Covers of Bowie, Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Ultravox, Roxy Music, Brian Eno, T-Rex/Marc Bolan (took me a million years to track down a copy of Bolan's Think Zink), Sex Pistols amongst a bunch more were just incredible. The most memorable cover was of Ultravox's Frozen Ones where Davies just completely deconstructed and reconstructed the song with such sterility that the original sounds like shit.

End of self indulgent memories....lol.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Just listened to Depeche Mode's original of "Stripped" versus Rammstein's cover version.

It's almost Dave Gahan custom made that song for Rammstein. Eerie.

LESStar58

Referee
Neko Case- Somebody LEd ME Away (Loretta Lynn)

Hex (Freakwater)

The latter made it on to a mixed tape I made for a girl once upon a time.