What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite piece of classical music

Parra

Referee
For a sense of loss, longing / despair Samuel Barber’s Adagio for Strings

An example

OVP

Coach
If you're familiar with Dead Can Dance, you must know of the Ron Fricke movies Baraka, Koyaanquatsi, etc.

If so, we have more than a lot in common.

Next thing you'll be telling me that you like Single Gun Theory!

I've heard of Koyaanquatsi, that used to play at the old Valhalla theatre in Glebe back in the 90s i believe, but I never got around to seeing it. I remember the title because my old flatmate used to get the monthly posters for movies showing at the Valhalla and hang them up around the house. They always had good, bent shit, loved that theatre.

Never really been a huge movie fan, I've always been into books and music a lot more. Not that I don't watch movies, I love David Lynch's stuff and Peter Greenaway to a lesser extent. I detest the mainstream in any form so if its different then I'll probably end up watching it.

My sister is probably the world's biggest Single Gun Theory fan on the planet. I never really listened to them much, but if they are anything like Dead Can Dance then I really should pull my finger out.

Last edited:

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I've heard of Koyaanquatsi, that used to play at the old Valhalla theatre in Glebe back in the 90s i believe, but I never got around to seeing it. I remember the title because my old flatmate used to get the monthly posters for movies showing at the Valhalla and hang them up around the house. They always had good, bent shit, loved that theatre.

Never really been a huge movie fan, I've always been into books and music a lot more. Not that I don't watch movies, I love David Lynch's stuff and Peter Greenaway to a lesser extent. I detest the mainstream in any form so if its different then I'll probably end up watching it.

My sister is probably the world's biggest Single Gun Theory fan on the planet. I never really listened to them much, but if they are anything like Dead Can Dance then I really should pull my finger out.
We are now entering the Twilight Zone of coincidences and uncanny similarities.

Are you the brother I never had by any chance? I know you're not a teenager but FMD, chatting to you makes me feel like I'm talking to a mirror.

Uncanny to say the least.....

OVP

Coach
We are now entering the Twilight Zone of coincidences and uncanny similarities.

Are you the brother I never had by any chance? I know you're not a teenager but FMD, chatting to you makes me feel like I'm talking to a mirror.

Uncanny to say the least.....

Not sure man but I'm just your typical Gen X, the black sheep of all the generations. Most Gen X'ers I've met shy away from the normal, as it's boring, don't we ? lol

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
The 1959 in my username indicates that I'm 57 years of age and not afraid to admit it
You my friend OVP is a person of integrity. I have the utmost respect for you..

Reactions: OVP

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Ok, some favourites. impossible to pick a single piece. The genre is so large and spans hundreds of years. Only the very best has stood the test of time. What other genre compares?

As an aside, Bach I regard as the greatest composer of all time. Simply in terms of quality x quantity. What a machine. But I won't quote any works here.

Oh ffs, yes I will. Bach - Cantata 140: Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme, BWV 140 (1731)

Turn it up loud. The simplicity of the soprano line against the complexity of the rest. Gold.

Not globally acclaimed, certainly not well known, but a millimeter above anything else for me - just about anything from the Iberia Suite by Albeniz, piano or orchestrated versions. Both have their charms. You have to like Spanish/Andalusian music though I think to appreciate it. I certainly regard this is an absolute masterpiece for piano music, albeit it is terrifyingly difficult to play. Listening to this suite just puts me in another world. I can't fathom how a guy could sit down and write this sort of music. It is like he is painting in musical space. Musical impressionism at it's very best.

Jerez, in the suite, seems to stand out for me for an unknown reason. The ending is just divine.

I can't explain what draws me to this suite. I had to play one piece, El Puerto, back in the day, so I listened to it and eventually fell in love with the whole suite. But it took time.

it's evident that films are having a large influence people's choices. this is most people's primary exposure to classical music.

Why is classical music so prevalent in films in your opinions?

Anyway, I love talking classical music, especially with rugby league hard nuts. The contradiction is just delicious lol.

Parra

Referee
To answer your question 'why is classical music so prevalent in films?'

The answer for me is because of Kubrick and 2001 : A space oddessy

There is a doco on current rotation on foxtel that explains this link and talks of film and scores as pre/post Kubrick.

Wonderful post btw.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
cheers.

I would love to see that doco. Luckily, Foxtel is not available in France.

ok, Kubrick may have kicked it off to some extent with 2001, but why do directors persist with it? Or, in other words, why is orchestral music commonly written for and used in films?

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
To give an idea of the breadth and versatility of Bach, one can listen to this phenomenal performance of the Partita in D Minor for solo violin by Izhak Perlman:

with the momumental Chaconne crowning the piece (starts around 13m50s). Just playing this piece from memory is pretty darn impressive!

21m35s mark = very nice change of tonality

Last edited:

JasonE

Bench
Not sure if this qualifies but have a listen to David Gilmour's version of Shakepeare' Sonnet 18, absolutely superb and shows of his beautiful singing voice.