What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourites for the wooden spoon......

Briza said:
Sth's to lose the next 5 games and be alone at the bottom of the table.

If Souths do lose the next 5 games, Manly will still be down there to keep them company. :D

Manly's next 5 rounds

Bulldogs
Parramatta
Tigers
BYE
Dragons

On form displayed so far Manly would not be favourites to win in any of those matches

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
It's easy to stick it to Manly atm as they are coming last, but you have to remember the number of new combinations being formed, the fact their gun try scorer from last year has posted only one pie in 4 matches, Beaver has been injured, Hoppa injured, Dunley injured, King injured twice, McGuiness pretty much gone after injury again, Solo injured, Tutt injured, Torrens suspended, and also Randall injured. All except 2 of these players played in the team over the last few seasons. Some stability and strength should be shown soon. Only Kingy is gone for the season.

Manly's only problems seem to be around the centres and Halfback & 5/8 areas. I think most of the Raiders fans would admit Monoghan is half in the making. These areas should improve in the next few weeks if Manly can hold onto the ball.

Souths have poor form dating 2 seasons.
A side that got smashed pre-season by Manly.
And Managed to steal 2 points from the Tigers, Sharks and the bye.

Hardly anything to be excited about. Sure it's a big improvement on last year, but I still think the money on Souths for the spoon is justified.

I know all you Bunnies fans are on a high after recording your first back to back wins in about a century, but I wouldn't start peeing you pants and thinking you will make the 8 yet!

Anonymous

Juniors
I think it'll be hard fought out of Many and Cronulla. Souths have finially gotten their youth/experience, quality/potential mixes a little bit right this year (not a lot right, but enough to keep them out of the cellar). Many is the last stop house for Rugby League outcasts and Cronulla have no disipline, do the simple things poorly and have a lot of players who were world class 3 seasons ago but are very very average now.

Big Bunny

Juniors
For years Souths main problem was not that they couldn't score points, it was always that the ability to defend for 80 minutes was just not there.

Feel free to tip Souths for the spoon, but take a look at which team is currently topping the table when it comes to the ability to defend. Last year we were headed in the right direction but were hit with too many injuries to our forwards and our backs out wide were turnstiles. Our depth was poor, this year it is moderate to good. Provided that the forwards keep putting in, the club won't be taking the spoon this year regardless of how they fare against the top teams. What is most important in the run from the spoon is how the lower teams fare against each other, not the top teams. In that regard, Souths already have an edge.

For mine, Cronulla are clear favourites. Raper is fighting an uphill battle to change the mentality that Anderson has allowewed to set in at the club and one season isn't enough to get them on the right track. Perhaps a clearout might be in order.

Big Bunny

Juniors
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
Unlike the Sharks and Souths, Manly has some depth in Premier League. currently placed 3rd.

Being placed 3rd in Premier League isn't exactly the best indicator of Manly's depth. For starters, are they a fair team with a few standout individuals or a great team with no real stars?

ali

Bench
Manly would be where my dollars would be going. I believe our squad is way too strong to finnish with the spoon. We'll only get the spoon if Kimorley gets a long term injury. But f**k, we'd wanna start improving.

Eels Dude

Coach
Hurriflatch said:
Souths form over the next month or so will decide their fate. If they fail to win more then 1 game in their next five which are v Eels, Storm, Bulldogs, Knights and Panthers then they will become once again favorites for the spoon.

Souths have not really played anyone this year (that they have managed to beat)

The lost to the Roosters, got a contriversal win v Tigers (a team they have now beaten last last 4 times they have played if you include trials) and a win v Sharks but they are judging on current form the worst team in the comp.

Their opponents this week Parramatta have a 50% record this year but have played 4 teams who made the top 8 in 2003 and many people think could win the premiership this year or at very least give it a big shake in the Bulldogs, Broncos, Knights and Raiders with only the Knights game being played at Parramatta Stadium.

Souths can only beat who they play, I think they've done quite well this year. Narrow loss to the Roosters, and wins over Wests and Sharks. If they can compete well against the 5 above sides you mentioned then they should avoid the spoon. They're a step up from last yr at the least

I'd say Cronulla and Manly are looking at the spoon at the moment, and Nth Qld, despite their win tonight have lost 3/3 at home, 2 of those (against Wests and Manly) are games they cannot afford to drop if they're going to contest the 8.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I have noticed that people seem to be forgetting about Souths.

They have only won 2 games against this same Sharks outfit that were hammered by the Cowboys and against the Wests Tigers who mentally can't seem to get themselves up against the Rabbitohs, having only won once since the beginning of 2000.....

I think Souths will be a close second for the wooden spoon, once they play a few good sides and a few injuries start to happen the wheels should fall off. But Cronulla are well and truly on their own at the moment.

Nope. Souths are not going to end up with the spoon. They have shown enough this season and generally late last season that they will at least be 12th.

Junior Bunny

Juniors
What about the Tigers? They've only beaten the Sharks and Nth QLD who are both playing very poorly. They were expecting big things this season, but I truely havent seen any change.

I think that they will be in the race for the spoon.

But the true favourites would have to be Manly and the Sharks.

rastus

Juniors
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
It's easy to stick it to Manly atm as they are coming last, but you have to remember the number of new combinations being formed, the fact their gun try scorer from last year has posted only one pie in 4 matches, Beaver has been injured, Hoppa injured, Dunley injured, King injured twice, McGuiness pretty much gone after injury again, Solo injured, Tutt injured, Torrens suspended, and also Randall injured. All except 2 of these players played in the team over the last few seasons. Some stability and strength should be shown soon. Only Kingy is gone for the season.

Manly's only problems seem to be around the centres and Halfback & 5/8 areas. I think most of the Raiders fans would admit Monoghan is half in the making. These areas should improve in the next few weeks if Manly can hold onto the ball.

Souths have poor form dating 2 seasons.
A side that got smashed pre-season by Manly.
And Managed to steal 2 points from the Tigers, Sharks and the bye.

Hardly anything to be excited about. Sure it's a big improvement on last year, but I still think the money on Souths for the spoon is justified.

I know all you Bunnies fans are on a high after recording your first back to back wins in about a century, but I wouldn't start peeing you pants and thinking you will make the 8 yet!

The only ppl "peeing you pants" should be Manly supporters about the reality of winning the spoon. And this thread is about winning the spoon - not Souths making the 8.

Your right about 1 thing though, it is east to stick it to Manly, and not just because of all the excuses you are imagining. It's simply because they have a (rap playing roster. If you honestly believe that the only problem with Manly is around the 1/2's you have NFI.

FYI the money is now on Manly for the spoon, and justifiably so - they have managed a very ordinary win against NQ with 66% of possession and been uncompetitive in all their other games. That sort of "form" has wooden spoon written all over it.

rastus

Juniors
Junior Bunny said:
What about the Tigers? They've only beaten the Sharks and Nth QLD who are both playing very poorly. They were expecting big things this season, but I truely havent seen any change.

I think that they will be in the race for the spoon.

But the true favourites would have to be Manly and the Sharks.

To be honest, there are quiet a few contenders for the spoon, they include Manly, NQ, Cronulla, Wests Tigers, Souths & even NZ on their current form. But the outstanding candidate atm is Manly.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Big Bunny said:
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
Unlike the Sharks and Souths, Manly has some depth in Premier League. currently placed 3rd.

Being placed 3rd in Premier League isn't exactly the best indicator of Manly's depth. For starters, are they a fair team with a few standout individuals or a great team with no real stars?

As stated previously, Manly has had plenty of injuries at the start of the season. The depth is indicated by the premier league squad performing well despite a number being forced to play in the NRL competition.

As for Rastus. We all know how well your experience on tipping the spoon has been over the last 2 seasons. Every year you say it will be Manly, and every year the Rabbits take it.

I'm patient. The big difference is Manly fans haven't started bagging their coach or players after a few loses.

Big Bunny

Juniors
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
Big Bunny said:
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:

As stated previously, Manly has had plenty of injuries at the start of the season. The depth is indicated by the premier league squad performing well despite a number being forced to play in the NRL competition.

As for Rastus. We all know how well your experience on tipping the spoon has been over the last 2 seasons. Every year you say it will be Manly, and every year the Rabbits take it.

I'm patient. The big difference is Manly fans haven't started bagging their coach or players after a few loses.

You didn't answer the question. It's easy to sidestep and repeat yourself, but the question remains, what is the real indicator of Manly's depth? Your example of Manly's standing above Souths and Cronulla means very little, when Manly only have 1 more win than Cronulla. You certainly are easily impressed.

The number of players so far "forced to play in the NRL" as you put it is not exactly a great indication of depth either. They did step up but what have they delivered? It sounds more likely that if you do have depth its in being able to field two premier league teams and that in itself is nothing to be chuffed about.

The proof in depth will come down to how your team deals with injuries and IF you have the RIGHT players in the RIGHT positions when it comes time for their call-up to the NRL.

Can you tell me that Manly has quality players across the board in Premier League?

If you know, then simply answer the question, because at this stage it appears as though you have no idea about their capabilities. All you did was make a sweeping statement that might eventually be proven true, but isn't something you have the knowledge to backup.

"I'm patient. The big difference is Manly fans haven't started bagging their coach or players after a few loses"

What rot. The patience that Souths fans have shown over the last 15 years is a lot more than you could ever hope to fathom.

Honestly, I think the wooden spooners will be a toss-up between the Cowboys and the Sharks.

Both teams are woeful at best. They are not going well at home. When you don't go well at home, you just don't go well.

Latest posts